RTV or not ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
In my usual haste to get things done I removed my clutch cover to get it re-painted and forgot to order the gasket. Naturally, the old one tore in half so my question is; Will a thin smear of RTV sealant do the job or should I just wait and order a new gasket ? BTW, what is that screw and washer doing on the inner side of the clutch cover ? Darned if I can determine it's function. :ummm:

Chris.

Use the gasket. You can probably have it overnighted from somebody online or have an area dealership search done.

RTV will probably work just fine, but if it leaks you're back at it, and you'll have to take forever scraping off all that old RTV to put the gasket on.

I've used that gooey black stuff, permetex black. Its not RTV.
Worked fine if both surfaces are clean. RTV doesn't have the adhesive factor like the gasket maker.

If I had my druthers tho I would use the gasket, with permetex on one side, not both. That way you can pull the cover w/o ruining the gasket.

If you have the bulk of the gasket you can add a little sealer at the tears. I do have them on hand if needed but overnight is $20 to get one plus the gasket cost.

If you have the bulk of the gasket you can add a little sealer at the tears. I do have them on hand if needed but overnight is $20 to get one plus the gasket cost.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to send me one snail mail Sean. I'm not so very far away from you and the cover is going to take a couple of days to get back from the painter.
I'll PM you my address and would be happy to paypal you the cost.

Chris.

In my experience the black RTV doesn't hold up very well, especially with synthetic oils. It might be fine for a month or two but will eventually start a slow leak.

A semi-drying liquid gasket works much better. Yamabond 4 is the most readily available, any yamaha shop should have it. ThreeBond 1194 is the same thing is you can find it. You smear it on both surfaces, wait a minute or so, then smash it together and it seals on contact. No curing time needed and holds up far better than RTV. Permantex makes a very similar product called Motoseal 2 semi-drying gasket that any auto store should have right next to the RTV.

I like to use a little of it on both sides of the gasket as insurance against leaks, it fills in any scratches or imperfections in the surface.

Permatex MotoSeal is the stuff to use! Save the rtv for your sinks, showers, and aquariums

Latest posts

Back