Running on 2 cylinders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmannon

Reaction score
I will get this bike ironed out eventually, I HOPE!

Put new plugs in a few weeks ago after the 2 left ones died. Max ran awesome then! Then the other night I started it up to let it run a bit and noticed it wasnt sounding right again. A quick touch of the pipes found the left cylinders were not running, AGAIN. This morning I pulled all 4 plugs, cleaned, gapped and checked them, all were firing good blue spark. I put them back in, fired it up and let it idle for several minutes, felt the pipes, and the two left ones were cold as ice. Pulled the plugs and those two were wet with gas.

What is causing this? :confused2:

Last edited:
I`ve had plugs that would work by grounding them but would not fire under compression. Try swapping them around to the other cylinders and see if they fire .
Also you could switch the coils to try to eliminate the problem.

broook said:
I`ve had plugs that would work by grounding them but would not fire under compression. Try swapping them around to the other cylinders and see if they fire .
Also you could switch the coils to try to eliminate the problem.

I dont think it is the plugs because the originals did the same thing, same cylinders also. The spark looks the same on each cylinder when I test them. I am thinking it is getting too much gas at idle??? My mixture screws are at 2-1/2 turns. What about the floats sticking? Is that a possibility?

carb issues....grrrr......NOT my favorite subject!
THAT was my guess with mine but I went and bought some new carbs....got tired of messing with them.

bmannon said:
I dont think it is the plugs because the originals did the same thing, same cylinders also. The spark looks the same on each cylinder when I test them. I am thinking it is getting too much gas at idle??? My mixture screws are at 2-1/2 turns. What about the floats sticking? Is that a possibility?

I really don't think it is a carb issue, I think it is an electrical issue of some type. Do as Brooke suggested and switch your coils around and see if the problem moves to a dirfferent cylinder.

Buster Hymen said:
I really don't think it is a carb issue, I think it is an electrical issue of some type. Do as Brooke suggested and switch your coils around and see if the problem moves to a dirfferent cylinder.

It is both of the left cyl's, is there anything common to them that I should check first?

bmannon said:
It is both of the left cyl's, is there anything common to them that I should check first?
One thing you might try is to idle it in a dark place to see if you have spark jumping. Another is to clip off about 1/8" from both sides of the plug wires to make sure you have good contact. Did you drain both left bowls to see if possibly there's some water in them? Just some simple things to try and eliminate.

already trimmed the wires.
I will check for spark leakage.
All the plugs are firing fine when I test them though.

mikemax04 said:
One thing you might try is to idle it in a dark place to see if you have spark jumping. Another is to clip off about 1/8" from both sides of the plug wires to make sure you have good contact. Did you drain both left bowls to see if possibly there's some water in them? Just some simple things to try and eliminate.

I just got my motion pro sync tool and was going to do that. I got them used and w/o any mercury so I need to get some and refill them.

I am actually starting to get aggrivated and may just take it to the local tuner and have him set it up. :confused2: :damn angry:

bmannon said:
I pull the plugs, connect them back to the wires, ground them and crank the engine,
Checking the plugs like this puts little resistance on them where spark only needs to jump 1/32" to fire when it actually needs to be strong enough to jump 1/4". Before you get too deep into a tear-down, try shooting some carb cleaner into both carbs on the side that is not firing. Do this in spurts several times while engine is running and see if there is any change. Nothing connects both cylinders except the CDI. VMax-Outlaws has a site where you can download a copy of the Max repair manual so you can check the various part values with a multimeter. Taking it to a dealer might cost many $$$ with them putting new parts on that might not be needed. Be patient and with time we'll find the problem and solve it. Just think of the experience you're getting and someday will be able to help others in similar needy situations.

bmannon said:
I just got my motion pro sync tool and was going to do that. I got them used and w/o any mercury so I need to get some and refill them.

I am actually starting to get aggrivated and may just take it to the local tuner and have him set it up. :confused2: :damn angry:

Motion pro sells replacement mercury.Make sure the used one has the restrictors in the hoses,if not it will jump badly around and be hard to use.

shawn kloker said:
Motion pro sells replacement mercury.Make sure the used one has the restrictors in the hoses,if not it will jump badly around and be hard to use.

I have access to some mercury so no problem there.
There are no restrictors in the lines, just 4 long pieces of black tubing, so I may need to get those. I got the thing for the price of shipping ($10), it listed on motion pro's web site for about $100 so I guess I can spring for the restrictors if they sale them seperate.

swapped the plugs around and the same 2 cyls are still not running. Note this only seems to be happening at idle, it is definatly running on all 4 on the road. It got to 40 today so I took it around the block :eusa_dance:

The restrictors could be in the black lines.Mine are about an inch into the end by the tool.Blow through one and see if it feels easy or hard.If they are not in the mercury will bounce too much to make adjustments.Motion pro should sell them for cheap.They are only plastic plugs with a small hole in them.

I like to sync mine atleast every 2 weeks during riding season.Even flooring the throttle too hard can knock it out.

bmannon said:
. Note this only seems to be happening at idle, it is definatly running on all 4 on the road. :

If thats the case I would go for the idle jets being plugged.

Yes it needs shotgunned or peashootered.It is possible that it is way out of sync.

You sync 1 to 2 then 3 to 4 then 3&4 to 1&2.Sounds like his 3&4 are way ahead of his 1&2.

shawn kloker said:
Yes it needs shotgunned or peashootered.It is possible that it is way out of sync.

You sync 1 to 2 then 3 to 4 then 3&4 to 1&2.Sounds like his 3&4 are way ahead of his 1&2.

I did the peashooter just for good measure about a week ago. Did it with Seafoam and also ran some seafoam thru the tank.

I think I will get the motion pro going and do the synch next.

Back