running rough

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbidcow55

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the V-Max scene and I think I have a problem. My bike starts and runs smoothe, but I think it is running on 3 cylenders. I changed the spark plugs to OEM and still runs the same but a little bit better. All of the plugs that came out looked ok, no white plugs or oil. The bike had been sitting for a few months in an unheated shed, and the battery does not really hold a charge. Will the bike run better with time and a new battery or is it something more serious. It has 8000 miles and is a 98....1200 of course. Can anybody PM me with an answer? my email is [email protected] Thanks guys.

A weak battery will make the bike do all kinds of weird things. Go for a new battery first and if it still runs rough, without going into it too deep, let it idle and see if one cylinder is cooler than the others. If so, try shooting some carb cleaner in it a few times while it's running, letting it clear itself out each time. If that doesn't help, go the shotgun route.

mikemax04 said:
A weak battery will make the bike do all kinds of weird things. Go for a new battery first and if it still runs rough, without going into it too deep, let it idle and see if one cylinder is cooler than the others. If so, try shooting some carb cleaner in it a few times while it's running, letting it clear itself out each time. If that doesn't help, go the shotgun route.

AGREE 100%
Battery 1st....bet your problem goes away!
If its been sitting, go to autozone and buy some seafoam too, IMHO.

Check your rubber boots and your fuel filter while you're at it. Seafoam might loosen some shit up so keep an eye on the fuel filter.

Yesterday I was totally blown away when I seen an article that a dirty fuel filter can overwork the pump causing it to suck twice the power from the battery to operate. Now is this ONLY in fuel injected engines ? Not a hundred percent sure the same wouldn't happen in a carb system... food for thought.

I just had to mention it.....

Robbarrie said:
Yesterday I was totally blown away when I seen an article that a dirty fuel filter can overwork the pump causing it to suck twice the power from the battery to operate. Now is this ONLY in fuel injected engines ? Not a hundred percent sure the same wouldn't happen in a carb system... food for thought.

I just had to mention it.....

Like any electric motor will draw more power when the resistance to it's rotation is increased. Don't know any specifics, but would imagine the sensitivity of the FI pump is much greater.:confused2:

Back