School me on R134A adapters please.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I'm refrigerant certified, but I dont have the adapters to add R134A to my cars. Iv got the old school refrigerant gauges with 1/4 flair fittings, but it looks like neither the car, nor the small R134A tanks have that fitting. Im guessing the larger 30 lb tanks do, but I wont be buying one of those.

I'm guessing this is the fitting I need to add R134A from the 12 oz bottles..

Do they offer the fittings on that hose/manifold with 1/4" flairs so I can use my gauges? Or should I just get the hose and add until cold?

Thanks!

Yes they make fittings that will thread on.. You might have to contact an automotive store to look at fittings they offer. Perhaps a NAPA? Worst case you'd need to buy new hose for your gauge set. Although r134a operates at different pressures than r-22 and r-12 refrigerants do. You should be able to get a good idea with the experience you have and a little research.

Best of luck to you!!! 30lb cans aren't that much and you could charge up your neighbors car to help pay for it.. :)

I got a 30lb can of r-12 anybody want to buy or know what its worth its for the late 90s when i was in the field?

I got a 30lb can of r-12 anybody want to buy or know what its worth its for the late 90s when i was in the field?

Used to worth a lot!
I think with the transition to newer gases R-12 is only found in older refrigerator and RV rooftop A/C units. Not much call for now. I'm sure its with something to some body tho'

I'm refrigerant certified, but I dont have the adapters to add R134A to my cars. Iv got the old school refrigerant gauges with 1/4 flair fittings, but it looks like neither the car, nor the small R134A tanks have that fitting. Im guessing the larger 30 lb tanks do, but I wont be buying one of those.

Do they offer the fittings on that hose/manifold with 1/4" flairs so I can use my gauges? Or should I just get the hose and add until cold?

Thanks!

I think your best bet is to just buy a new set if gauges. I bought mine for about $70 at an auto parts house. That way you have the correct pressure/temp marking on the gauges as well as something that fits.
They'll have the "snap/click" fitting to fit the car and the piercing valve do-hickey that fits the throw away cans too. I don't believe the can fitting changed from R-12 to R-134A but I could be wrong.

Thanks.. I bought gauges and a can tap on amazon.

As far as that R12.. I could be worth allot to the person who still runs it and cant buy it. Not sure on the legality of that though..

It's worth a few bucks. But not as much as when it was newly banned. Almost everyone changed over to 134A already. The R12 is better in the old systems that had the non compatable mineral oil in them. R22 is meeting the same fate.
Steve-o

Thanks!

you need these type of adapters... I bought the hole set up 5 years ago from harbor freight,

Attachments

• P1030233.JPG
    P1030233.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 9
  • P1030234.JPG
    P1030234.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1030235.JPG
    P1030235.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back