Scooter advice needed...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lankeeyankee

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a 150CC scooter due to the gas prices. I drive 60 miles round trip to work 4 days a week in my Maxima that gets 22 MPG and my VMAX is just a lil better. I spend about 65.00 a week in gas.
So I am planning on buying a 150 CC scooter to drive back and forth to work, and beer runs on the weekends. Yes I do realize they arent real pussy magnets like the VMAX.
I figured after 4 months it will pay for it self and after that will be just profit.

Do you have a scooter? What Brand? Honda or one of them chinese ones selling on ebay for 1000.00 They advertise they run 60MPH and get 80MPG. Whats the truth and your expierence?

Yankee, I think you need a Honda Cub - after I seen a program on tv in where, they test the endurance by putting vegetable oil, no oil, thrown off a building, etc... etc.. etc... and it still ran - in fact it was ranked #1 bike overall.

Now some NOS, a rear shinko and your good to go! :rofl_200:

Mike

Yankee, I'm surprised at you. You simply must purchase Wobbler, Rev. 2:

09MS_TMAX_blu_A1_8e92990b.jpg

2009 Yamaha TMax!

Linkage

I have a Yamaha Zuma that I use to run around the neighborhood. I've even taken it to a couple of bike rallies and had a blast on it. It's top quality.

Riding a scooter is like f*cking a fat girl. It's a lot of fun but you don't want your friends to know that you do it. :rofl_200:

Yes, I agree Scooters arent very manly even more so a laugh to the VMAX riders, it is a night and day difference.
With my math calculations it will pay for itself in about 4-6 months. Yeah the TMAX scooter is nice but I have been looking at them Chinese models for under 1400.00
I dont plan on using it to cruise on a Saturday night with. Just to go back and forth to work 4 days a week.
How many CC is the Cub? I would like to have a 150CC min.. I am reading the 150 CC will run 60-65 which the roads I will be communting on are 45MPH- and 50MPH.

Check out Scooterdepot-US.COM

Yankee, I'm surprised at you. You simply must purchase Wobbler, Rev. 2:

2009 Yamaha TMax!

Linkage

Yeah I hope my scooter is a wobbler also:clapping:
When I get it, anyone wanna race me? I bet I can beat ya on the twisties:rofl_200:

I am going to name my scooter
Wobbler Jr.

WOBLRJR Custom Liscense Plate..

I have been looking at them Chinese models for under 1400.00

You realize that part for those things are made out of "unobtainium". They are like a bic razor. When something breaks, you throw it away and get another one.

That said, it could still be a good deal due to the gas savings.

Up to you, but have you considered getting maybe a used 125-175-200-250 4 stroke street legal enduro type? I found a pretty good shape XT250 Yamaha, 1984, 4500 miles, looked like it never hit a trail. I put on a new rear tire, the tallest I could find, geared it up a few teeth.. got over 50 mpg, still had some beans, had real brakes, steered and rode like a real bike, and I could still drive a dirt road if I wanted.... oh yeah.. cost? $1200.. and I didnt give any money to the freeking Chinese...plus I looked way less gay than on a scooter.

Up to you, but have you considered getting maybe a used 125-175-200-250 4 stroke street legal enduro type? I found a pretty good shape XT250 Yamaha, 1984, 4500 miles, looked like it never hit a trail. I put on a new rear tire, the tallest I could find, geared it up a few teeth.. got over 50 mpg, still had some beans, had real brakes, steered and rode like a real bike, and I could still drive a dirt road if I wanted.... oh yeah.. cost? $1200.. and I didnt give any money to the freeking Chinese...plus I looked way less gay than on a scooter.

I agree, you guys are missing the point... Trying to save money here. I have a Maxima Sitting on 20's I have a bad ass looking VMAX. I am not buying a scooter to set a fashion statement. I am going to drive it back and forth to work, not exactly cruising for chicks are trying to attract attention.
I could by a Hyosung motorcycle for 2200.00 or a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for 2000.00 I realize this! 70+ MPG guys !! Not asking for your opinion first of how do you like the way they look.. I know they are Gay looking, but there are a few scooters that look so so Like the Zuma, Cub etc. a lil offroad look, not your typical Vespa with a geek riding it with a helicopter beanie on his head.. Understood they are gay looking..

Please close this thread buster its obvious no one here has a 150CC scooter...
:clapping:

Key Points here,
1) Best MPG 70+ MPG
2) Reliabilty
3) Comfortable to ride
4) Must be able to wobble like my VMAX.

So let me get this straight. :rofl_200:

Wanted : Tall, calculating, self confident single male seeks a reliable, butch looking, gay ride. Like to take things slow but all weekdays are fine. Large wobbler preferred but due to gas problems will be happy to settle for a small one. Love cruising on Saturday nights and enjoy beer on weekends but rather you pay for yourself in the first four months. Prefer Chinese with small pet. Have friend? RSVP [email protected] :moped2::in love::in love::in love:

So let me get this straight. :rofl_200:

Wanted : Tall, calculating, self confident single male seeks a reliable, butch looking, gay ride. Like to take things slow but all weekdays are fine. Large wobbler preferred but due to gas problems will be happy to settle for a small one. Love cruising on Saturday nights and enjoy beer on weekends but rather you pay for yourself in the first four months. Prefer Chinese with small pet. Have friend? RSVP [email protected] :moped2::in love::in love::in love:

Post of the day. :worthy:

Yankee, if you find a Ninja 250 for $2,000, I suspect it will be in pieces.

OK seriously, Yankee - I have 2 - 150cc atv's for the camp - they are basically used by anybody to get around, etc... These things have taken some punishment and keep on going, especially the engine's - They are a gy6 honda clone engine that was used in the Honda Elite scooters back in the 80's - I used a GPS and clocked it at 45 miles/hour topped out.

Mike

My wife drives a 150CC schwin scooter(yes they make scooters). SHe is able to cruise at 50mph with no prob, can get up to 60 65 but that is really pushing the motor. SHe aint tiny at close to 200 lbs. I have had it up to 50 with my 300lbs a$$ on it. It is blast to ride. Anything with one of the GY6 clone motors is okay, mechanical pieces,(entire motors and transmission) can be found easy. You can get a whole new motor for one of those things for like 500 to 600. Unfortunally the chinesse knock off scooters are a real gamble. YOu could buy two of the same model at the same time and one will run great forever and the other will last a 2 or three months. To get a good name brand, you will end up spending 2400 instead of 1400 but it will pay itself off fast enough. My wife only drives 12 miles round trip, I do 26 round trip on the max. We used to car pool so we aren't saving as much since we were already saving that way, but it is still at least $60 a week. Keep on eye on craigs list, if your area is anything like mine you can find good deals. We only paid 800 for her scooter.

here is a pic of her on it and one of me so you can laugh, this was just after we picked it and I went through it and we checking everything out before I would let her play on the street in front of the house, and no I didn't ride in flip flops for the safty police out there was just posing for a pic.

Attachments

• #8.jpg
    #8.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 34
  • #10.jpg
    #10.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39
You could do some more tuning on the vmax and at least get it to 40mpg. It's easy to do with the right setup.

I'm not sure what will get that kind of speed for the price you want to spend. I see them all the time but mostly for pit bikes. Why not check around the next time you are at the drag strip and see if some of the guys there will let you try out the various scooters to see what will and won't make the speed you want.

Sean

I agree, you guys are missing the point... Trying to save money here. I have a Maxima Sitting on 20's I have a bad ass looking VMAX. I am not buying a scooter to set a fashion statement. I am going to drive it back and forth to work, not exactly cruising for chicks are trying to attract attention.
I could by a Hyosung motorcycle for 2200.00 or a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for 2000.00 I realize this! 70+ MPG guys !! Not asking for your opinion first of how do you like the way they look.. I know they are Gay looking, but there are a few scooters that look so so Like the Zuma, Cub etc. a lil offroad look, not your typical Vespa with a geek riding it with a helicopter beanie on his head.. Understood they are gay looking..

Please close this thread buster its obvious no one here has a 150CC scooter...
:clapping:

Key Points here,
1) Best MPG 70+ MPG
2) Reliabilty
3) Comfortable to ride
4) Must be able to wobble like my VMAX.

I have an idea...

I'll trade you my vmax for yours. Mine gets 40mpg... :eusa_dance:

Does that help?

(actually thanks for posting this question - I've been debating getting one for my wife)

Yankee, I think you need a Honda Cub - after I seen a program on tv in where, they test the endurance by putting vegetable oil, no oil, thrown off a building, etc... etc.. etc... and it still ran - in fact it was ranked #1 bike overall.

Now some NOS, a rear shinko and your good to go! :rofl_200:

Mike

Here's a link to the Honda Cub program - tough as nails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjnqkXNWJs

Mike

No seriously, I just wanted an economical commuter.
It was an easy mod too. :rofl_200:

tasuku_l.jpg

Back