Screw United Airlines

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the whole point of my post. An ounce of common sense, and none of this happens. I'm not defending the airline's action, My point is addressing the factors that caused it. Gulroc I'm sure, in your line of work you see a lot of these harsh realities, just, they don't all get recorded. On a side note PATMAX. I had family that came over on the Mayflower, So My bloodlines were some of the first to settle here. Thanks for asking:eusa_dance:

That's the whole point of my post. An ounce of common sense, and none of this happens. I'm not defending the airline's action, My point is addressing the factors that caused it. Gulroc I'm sure, in your line of work you see a lot of these harsh realities, just, they don't all get recorded. On a side note PATMAX. I had family that came over on the Mayflower, So My bloodlines were some of the first to settle here. Thanks for asking:eusa_dance:

Not to mention that if people want to pray then they can do it at their leisure. Not forced at school. The whole world doesnt believe in a christian god.
If you pray to all acknowledged 2700 ish gods then how do the kids ever get time to learn about things that actually exist?

And if you sign a contract then live with it. Even if it stinks. You signed it.
Id take a bleeding nose for all the cash this guy is in line for!

Not to mention that if people want to pray then they can do it at their leisure. Not forced at school. The whole world doesnt believe in a christian god.
If you pray to all acknowledged 2700 ish gods then how do the kids ever get time to learn about things that actually exist?

And if you sign a contract then live with it. Even if it stinks. You signed it.
Id take a bleeding nose for all the cash this guy is in line for!

+1 on ALL points!

People forget that sometimes contracts arent valid. People can sign all of the confidentiality agreements they want......and get threatened if they break them, but they dont hold up in criminal court.

If we're going to talk about common sense then I think it needs to be applied to all situations. If any industry knows that people don't always read the fine print it should be the airline industry. The reality is most travelers probably don't know that this could happen(more people probably do now) -- that being you being removed from a seat you already paid for without your consent.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this "entitlement" accusation. It implies people are being unreasonable for expecting what the paid for and I just don't see that as entitlement. But hey lets let corporations keep making unreasonable "contracts" and go after citizens character when a situation shows how fucked up it is. People keep defending this shit but at some point they'll wonder why companies have more rights than citizens. Hell they already do.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this "entitlement" accusation. It implies people are being unreasonable for expecting what the paid for and I just don't see that as entitlement.

I'm not sure if anybody really read what I wrote. All airline policies suck on this. It's not unreasonable for expecting what you paid for. You have every right to be pissed, angry, sue them, whatever you want. I said that in my first post. Nobodys arguing any of that.
Everything I'm discussing is beyond uniteds policies. They have them, there legal, blah, blah, blah. This guy took it way beyond that.

My comments go to Authority. That's when I use the words "entitlement" "self importance". Why, When the legal authority makes a lawful request, You feel you have the "right" to not comply. Common sense tells you, If i don't do what the cop says, something bad will happen. and it did. The doctor created his own victimhood, and now he's going to be wealthy.

A little gas on the fire. pretty much the same senerio. I'm not condoning the cops actions, but This never happens, if the girl had any respect for athority. That's the core issue IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH_EJiElh3o

No sympathy for either party in this case.
United should have a procedure to deal with recalcitrant passengers that are otherwise non-violent.

Dr Asian should have left the plane when asked and sorted it out at the gate.

My comments go to Authority. That's when I use the words "entitlement" "self importance". Why, When the legal authority makes a lawful request, You feel you have the "right" to not comply. Common sense tells you, If i don't do what the cop says, something bad will happen. and it did. The doctor created his own victimhood, and now he's going to be wealthy.

A little gas on the fire. pretty much the same senerio. I'm not condoning the cops actions, but This never happens, if the girl had any respect for athority. That's the core issue IMO

I understand your point, I just disagree with your assessment. Plenty of history disputes your claims of "just do as they say and nothing bad will happen." But I will agree that if you don't do as they say then something bad will certainly happen. So at the end of the day you're playing the odds of an unchecked authority. And that's my core issue -- unchecked authority and Americans passive acceptance of their loss of liberty. Which is a big reason this nation is circling the drain.

I see that he is going to sue now. Didnt figure that wold take long

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ual-passenger-idUSKBN17E1GN

No doubt his behavior could have been better, his history, who knows. I'm taking the NYPost with a grain of salt, I'm not familiar with it but it has a tabloid feel to it. I'm sure the lawyers will argue that his criminal history has no relevance in this non-criminal proceeding, of which I would tend to agree. If the NY post is correct we have proven that he's a bit of a dick. Not atypical for a great many doctors I have been acquainted with. Even if it's true I'm not sure a court would consider any of it an excuse for how it was handled. I like their new idea of giving monetary perks for those willing to step off the plane. We are so past due for serious changes to how airlines do business. Even if this guy is a dickhole I hope his lawyers grind United to dust in court.

That article ( I believe) was retracted because it was mistaken identification.

That article ( I believe) was retracted because it was mistaken identification.

I heard that too, I talked to my friend who works in the United call center. She has been enduring a constant barrage of abuse and threats, even a bomb threat. I guess it's pretty non stop. I'm not really convinced that this guy is right, regardless of his past, or that he should get some huge chunk of money for what happened. What I am pleased to see is that this may get the overbooking policy looked at. Bumping a paying passenger off a flight is outrageous, especially to compensate for poor planning as was the case here. I could see bumping a standby passenger in an emergency but until double booking is a criminal offense we have not done enough. What happens when a car dealership knowingly sells the same car twice?

I heard that too, I talked to my friend who works in the United call center. She has been enduring a constant barrage of abuse and threats, even a bomb threat. I guess it's pretty non stop. I'm not really convinced that this guy is right, regardless of his past, or that he should get some huge chunk of money for what happened. What I am pleased to see is that this may get the overbooking policy looked at. Bumping a paying passenger off a flight is outrageous, especially to compensate for poor planning as was the case here. I could see bumping a standby passenger in an emergency but until double booking is a criminal offense we have not done enough. What happens when a car dealership knowingly sells the same car twice?

Exactly. The problem is really that we allow companies to have these policies in the first place and then they can use law enforcement to back up those policies. These companies have their lobbyists in DC ensuring they have free reign to rip people off. For example one of the things that came out of the Frank/Dodd Act was the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau(CFPB). It was the agency that discovered that huge case of fraud Wells Fargo was committing that came to light last year. In just the few years its been around that agency has recovered BILLIONS of dollars back to consumers/citizens. And of course with full Republican control in DC right now... they've got it high on their list to kill off. Here's an agency that is actually working for US instead of the corporations... and Congress is going to kill it.

This country is circling the drain so hard and in 20 years the only way you're gonna have rights is if your last name has Incorporated in it.

What happens when a car dealership knowingly sells the same car twice?

This just happened to a guy I know. The guy said he'd take the truck. The salesman had to do the financing paperwork. The guy came back a day later to get the truck, and a different salesman sold the truck to a different guy, that had a cash down payment. To bad, so sad. My friend really screwed up though. He walked away. What he should have done is jumped in the truck, and locked himself in. Then after the cops had to drag him out of the truck, and he hit his head on the ground, he could have gotten a brand new truck for free. Maybe next time.

This just happened to a guy I know. The guy said he'd take the truck. The salesman had to do the financing paperwork. The guy came back a day later to get the truck, and a different salesman sold the truck to a different guy, that had a cash down payment. To bad, so sad. My friend really screwed up though. He walked away. What he should have done is jumped in the truck, and locked himself in. Then after the cops had to drag him out of the truck, and he hit his head on the ground, he could have gotten a brand new truck for free. Maybe next time.

Not a real good comparison there.

The equivalent would have been he had paid in full for the truck and was about to drive off the lot when someone pulled him out of it.

The guy on the plane definitely acted like an idiot but the airline got what it deserved (bad publicity) for making a real bad decision.

Not a real good comparison there.

The equivalent would have been he had paid in full for the truck and was about to drive off the lot when someone pulled him out of it.

The guy on the plane definitely acted like an idiot but the airline got what it deserved (bad publicity) for making a real bad decision.

And the car dealership is getting that same bad publicity on a smaller scale.

Well hookers can resell the same steamy gash over and over with no double booking problems. I guess it's okay in some industries.

When we're done eliminating over/double booking we can go to work on all the hidden fees and charges. This way not only will a ticket insure beyond any doubt your place on the flight, but once you book online that is the list time you will need to reach for your wallet. Too bad they wont voluntarily do business with some integrity. When something like this happens they need to have an attendant stand in the isle and start offering cash to anyone that will voluntarily step off the plane, it would be like an auction, he/she would keep upping the cash price until a passenger relinquished their seat. I guarantee that would be significantly cheaper than what happens next. What comes around goes around, yea?

Latest posts

Back