Sea Foam

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
What is the recommended amt of it in a tankfull for a good cleaning? What do you put in?

everyone has there own procedure lol....i use to use 1/3 of a can then run the bike around the block and then let it sit overnight. then run the rest of fuel out the folllowing day or 2. this gives it a chance to sit inside and do its job. ive heard of folks putting a whole can in. i tried that once in another bike i owned and it fouled the plugs. ive been told several time by beligerant sea foam addicts that sefoam will not foul the plugs. :rofl_200:

i dont use it anymore....i think its way overpriced for what it is. now i use marine formula stabil. i put a lil bit in evey other tank and it keeps the carbs clean.

If you think you have gunk in your carbs, take the can with you to the gas station and pour a half of can in the tank, then fill it up with gas. Take it for a couple mile ride and let it sit, the longer you can let it sit it seems to work better in my experience.

i do one ounce per gallon about every 5th tank...i keep a little 3 oz bottle under my seat next to the filler cap

I use it every oil change, about 1/2 can. I take it out and leave it in 3rd for a few minutes on long stretch of road, then I let it idle for 10 min, this way I get PAJ1 and PAJ2. Just my 2 cents, no foulded plugs, I doubled checked.

When I've used it I usually put a heavy dose in, run it briefly to work it into the carbs, then let it sit overnight.

For the vmax tank I'd dump the whole can in. I've had good success with it in weedeaters, snowblowers, ect that sit a lot.

Though the blue marine stabil also seems to work quite well and is much cheaper. Seafoam is like $9 a can.

People here have also had good luck with the "start your engines" stuff.

For seafoam and other stuff you can buy this stuff on line at advanced auto and use the available coupons for 30-40% off and just pick it up at the store. I almost never buy in the store direct anymore.

I use Sea Foam for normal use, 1 oz to a gallon. Start Your Engine for cleaning after carb clogs... I can for 2 gallons. It's expensive as Crap...

I posted up about SeaFoam before, search for the MSDS info sheet for it & you should get a hit. The 85%+ component is naphtha and "pale oil," which are derivative of mineral oil. While I don't want to be liable for "ruining" anyone's engine, it would be interesting to see someone use naphtha in the quantity similar to what is called-for in the SeaFoam directions and to see if the effects are similar. Naphtha is far easier to find in quantity and much cheaper! Both pale oil and naphtha are insoluble in water and have specific gravity < 1, which is water's (water=1), meaning that both will float on-top of water, since they both are insoluble w/it.

I have a couple of chainsaws I need to clean because they won't start/idle easily, so maybe I will try the naphtha on them to see what happens. I'll let you know how it works, or if my carburerator dissolves into smoking goo and toxic gases.

Will SeaFoam cause issues with our clutch if added to the motor? Never used it...

I'm glad you asked. I had a ring sticking problem in one cylinder a while ago,and started adding 1/4 can of Seafoam to my oil, running it 40-50 miles then changing the oil, at my regulsr interval. No clutch problems so far. The engine is running fine now. This is just precautionary.I'm running the DD clutch mod.
Steve-o

I'm glad you asked. I had a ring sticking problem in one cylinder a while ago,and started adding 1/4 can of Seafoam to my oil, running it 40-50 miles then changing the oil, at my regulsr interval. No clutch problems so far. The engine is running fine now. This is just precautionary.I'm running the DD clutch mod.
Steve-o
yamaha has a product called "ring free" ive used in 2 stroke engines....it works great!!

I posted up about SeaFoam before, search for the MSDS info sheet for it & you should get a hit. The 85%+ component is naphtha and "pale oil," which are derivative of mineral oil. While I don't want to be liable for "ruining" anyone's engine, it would be interesting to see someone use naphtha in the quantity similar to what is called-for in the SeaFoam directions and to see if the effects are similar. Naphtha is far easier to find in quantity and much cheaper! Both pale oil and naphtha are insoluble in water and have specific gravity < 1, which is water's (water=1), meaning that both will float on-top of water, since they both are insoluble w/it.

I have a couple of chainsaws I need to clean because they won't start/idle easily, so maybe I will try the naphtha on them to see what happens. I'll let you know how it works, or if my carburerator dissolves into smoking goo and toxic gases.
I'll bet it's not a problem if used in the right quantity. I've used Acetone for a couple of years. Last time I was into my carbs they were clean as a whistle inside. No rubber damage visable. I know I'm not the only one. The Acetone must be pure !00%, not hardware store grade. I find it in Walgreens. There is lots of info on it if you google it.
Steve-o

Last edited:
a really good mechanic told me a few yrs ago that a lil marvel mystery oil in the gas will clean the carbs. IDK if he was full of sh%t or not but....that dude was THE BEST CARB mech i ever met.

I'll bet it's not a problem if used in the right quantity. I've used Acetone for a couple of years. Last time I was into my carbs they were clean as a whistle inside. No rubber damage visable. I know I'm not the only one. The Acetone must be pure !00%, not hardware store grade. I find it in Walgreens. There is lots of info on it if you google it.
Steve-o
Are you saying you put Acetone in your gas?

Latest posts

Back