Setting the bead???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4gasem

Reaction score
Alrighty folks... I finally received the wheel from UFO today... It is a 6.25" wide rim with a 180mm mounted on it. He didn't set the bead because it makes installing it much easier. Unfortunately it also is near impossible to set the bead since this small of a tire was never designed for a 6.25" rim and was designed for a 5.5" rim...

I have tried one ratchet strap down the middle of the tire and then two down either outside edges with no luck of spreading the bead out so it will seal.

Anyone???:ummm:

I have had it up to here now with this F'n bike... Anyone want a Vmax?:bang head: :bang head:

Have you tried the "starting fluid controlled explosion thingy? My gramps used to do it to bead tires.

Or is that answer retarded?

Have you tried the "starting fluid controlled explosion thingy? My gramps used to do it to bead tires.

Or is that answer retarded?

Not tried it but thought of it... I will not do that and will shove this wheel sideways up Jon's ass if he even says that that is what I need to do...:bang head:

This is BS all the way!

I am going to miss Thunder because of this whole debacle...:bang head:

Hose that tire down with dishwashing liquid and water mix. bounce it on the ground a few times like a basketball, all the way around the rim, and shoot it with air.

Hopefully, it will pop on without the use of ether.

I appreciate the thoughts guys, but I have decided to tell Jon that he can have this wheel back...

His horrible lack of customer service and the fact that I ordered a 5.5" wheel and wanted a 5.5" wheel makes this B.S. through and through...

He can give me my money back on this thing or answer to a lawer...

I AM DONE!

7 months of FING around for NOTHING! :bang head: :bang head:

Last edited:
First of all, do not do the starting fluid thing.

Do you live by a tire shop that does heavy truck tires? they will have a beat seating tool that will do it.
If not, it will require a huge blast of air directly into the drop center of the rim to pop the bead into place. I have never seen a compressor that can provide a blast big enough though.

First of all, do not do the starting fluid thing.

Do you live by a tire shop that does heavy truck tires? they will have a beat seating tool that will do it.
If not, it will require a huge blast of air directly into the drop center of the rim to pop the bead into place. I have never seen a compressor that can provide a blast big enough though.

Just checked the Avon site... The only tire that is designed to fit the 6.25 is a 200mm... I am not able to nor going to run a 200...

I will let Jon know that tomorrow!

Cheers
Chris

I appreciate the thoughts guys, but I have decided to tell Jon that he can have this wheel back...

His horrible lack of customer service and the fact that I ordered a 5.5" wheel and wanted a 5.5" wheel makes this B.S. through and through...

I AM DONE!

7 months of FUCKING around for NOTHING! :bang head: :bang head:

Well when i'm ready for new wheels, I will be looking somewhere else...
Sounds like he shafted you pretty good Chris.:whistlin:
You still thinking about making thunder this year?

Sorry to hear about your troubles with Jon/UFO. Never dealt with him and won't now.

These forums have been an eye opening experience, you quickly find out who to deal with and who to avoid :D

Maybe we should start a good guys/bad guys thread? Seems to work on other forums.

So far I've had mostly good experiences but I've steered clear of a few because of the "bad buzz"

I AM DONE!

7 months of FUCKING around for NOTHING! :bang head: :bang head:

If you are looking for 5.5" UFO wheel I have a spare in beautiful condition. It's a 17". Email me if you are interested

Attachments

• P1020772.jpg
    P1020772.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 26
Gleno, what are you using now? How much for the UFO rims? Just curious.

Mark

Thanks for the offer Gleno but I am going to try to stay away from all things UFO!

I will be coming to Thunder, but will be riding the SV. Should be a blast in the corners...:eusa_dance:

I am going to really be racking the miles on it! I am also going on a ride-out the next weekend in Wisconsin with it!:thumbs up: I should just sell the Max and get an M109R like I should have to start with...:bang head:

I LOVE my SV and have no issues taking it. :banana:

See ya'll there!

Gleno, what are you using now? How much for the UFO rims? Just curious.

Mark

I purchased the rear I'm running late last year from Jon at UFO. It's a 17". I fitted it with a Metzler Z6 Roadtec 190/50 ZR.

That rim also had a runout problem when it was on the bench but it straightened out true when the bearings were locked on the axle.

The front rim in the photo is also on my bike running a Metzler Z6 Roadtec 120/70 ZR.

The front is waiting for me to fit the R1 rotors and Tociko 6 pots I have in my garage.

The rims, tyres and handling are light years beyond the standard V-max setup.

The two rims in the photo were purchased as a set.

The rear owes me about $700 Australian dollars if anyone is interested.

Well I talked to Jon at UFO and he pretty much told me to get F'd...

I thought he would... He says that the tire will mount up on the bike and that if I can't do it then I shouldn't be working on the bike at all... NICE! I told him that if the tire was designed for the wheel size it wouldn't be an issue. He then told me how much he lost of the deal and that he "HELPED" me out and that any other wheel vendor would have told me to get screwed... I told him that the wheel wasn't straight to begin with and asked him how this "helped" me out... I said that if it was right to begin with we wouldn't be having this discussion at all... He told me it wasn't his fault the wheel was bad and that it was his vendors... I said "WHAT?" I told him I could give two schitts who's FAULT it was and the fact of the matter is, that is WAS his fault. HE sold it to ME! I am amazed by what people think is customer service... If I sell a welder to a guy and he takes it out of the box and it doesn't work or work right then I will swap it out with a new one NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Will I loose money? Sure! The idea is to not have that happen and not use vendors that do that to ya! He told me he did his best to satisfy me... Well! His best isn't enough!:bang head:

Once again... 7 months of F'n around with this and I have put 100 miles total on this bike with the wobbly wheel he sold me...

DANGER DANGER
What ever you do... DO NOT USE UFO for anything...

Sorry for the rant folks but it makes me feel better and if it saves someone else from loosing a night of sleep then I feel I did my part!!

My brother is coming over tonight to see if we can cram the tire on the rim somehow and I will be taking home a high pressure Nitrogen cylinder with a high delivery pressure regulator to see if I can get it mounted...

Well i hope it works out for ya, dont give up on the vmax because some asshole shafted you. I would take his ass to court

i hope u get the tire on cuz that wheel on that bike is dead sexy

Has anyone ever had any GOOD experiences with ufo? If so i havnt heard

Well either way! I am going to Thunder... I REALLY want to take the Vmax but it isn't looking like it will happen...

Thanks Clint!:thumbs up:

Chris, is it possible to borrow a stock rim/tire from somebody? Maybe you can sell that wheel and tire on the buy/sell board. I think it's a good rim, just need a modified swingarm and a bigger tire.

Good luck,

Mark

Chris, is it possible to borrow a stock rim/tire from somebody? Maybe you can sell that wheel and tire on the buy/sell board. I think it's a good rim, just need a modified swingarm and a bigger tire.

Good luck,

Mark

I have the stock parts but running a Bias ply rear and a radial front is a no no and doing it at Thunder with the (hopefully) nice curvy roads :thumbs up: is really a no no...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back