Setting up the RPM Gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/setting-up-rpm-guide-289-p.asp

The link above describes how to install the RPM gauge. To my knowledge I have all my wires set up correctly.

Can someone explain what exactly "HT Lead" means? I have been told I need to wrap the wire around the coil wire. So if someone can tell me I am an idiot and tell me I need to wrap the wire around somewhere else I would be grateful.

HT = High Tension. Google it and it will be explained better than I could... :biglaugh:

The High tension (HT) leads are the ones that go to the spark plugs.

Have you tried taking the r.p.m. feed from the one that feeds the OE tacho (grey wire) - that worked for me.

Thanks for the help.

Right now I have the wire twisted around the HT Lead, but right next to the coil, I will try redoing it closer to the spark plug and see if that helps.

Max, I tryed connecting it but I am not sure if its a power issue or not, with the new tach its digital so I am not sure what the diffrence is.

I wouldn't think that the position on the HT lead is critical.

The illustration used for the RX2n implies four wraps around the HT lead - you may wish to try more than this.

Have you tried taking the feed from the Grey wire?

I wouldn't think that the position on the HT lead is critical.

The illustration used for the RX2n implies four wraps around the HT lead - you may wish to try more than this.

Have you tried taking the feed from the Grey wire?

I have it wrapped around a few more times than four. I actually am using 18g wire and I stripped the wire where it wraps around the HT lead. That way there is less resistence.

As far as the grey wire I have tried it three diffrent ways. I first tried to simply connect the Koso wire directly to the grey wire, no go, tried connecting just the koso directly to the wire wrapped around the HT lead, no go. Finally tried connecting all three, still a no go.

I will say that there was some movement once, and I have zero explanation for it.

I just put the wire in around the HT lead and connected to the koso.
When I started it, the RPM gauge actually showed some life. Granted it only showed that the bike had 0-500 rpm, just lighting up the first box.

I gave the bike some gas and it jumped up, not where I would expect the RPM's to be at, but It has been a while sense I have actually seen my RPM's and can compare it to the volume of my exhaust. While I was doing this I held it at about 3k, while holding it steady for some reason the RPM gauge shot up to 6k-8k RPM without me moving my hand. I turned it off and stopped testing because my wife was complaining about trying to get the kid to sleep lol.

After turning it off I decided that I had it wired correctly I just needed to get the settings correct so I made everything permanent. Once it was connected and wires tucked back into the bike, I saw no signs of life again. Now that I wrote all this down I realize I need to recheck the connections, any other advice is more than welcome.

Difficult what to suggest next as my RX2n (with OE ignition) worked fine from the grey wire. Settings were 4C-2P and LoAct.

I did have issues with the COP's fitted whereby the counter would work OK most of the time but then double read.

This was overcome by cable tying one of Koso's RPM Signal Filter's to a COP with the removable part of the clip omitted.

After all else has failed then you may need to try this.

Your best not doing anything I do, considering I am failing pretty spectacularly. I will keep it updated it though.

I'm sure we've all felt this way at some point in the mod cycle... Any info is helpful. I could start a "what not do do thread" where every statement ends with "Don't ask me how I know..."

I still have to see the gauges.

Alright.

Video time!!! I went over the wiring again and right now there is absolutely no way the wiring is weak.

(sorry for the quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd11mpo_Fkk

As you can see, now the rpm's show up when I start the bike, but when I give it some gas, it goes away. I tried almost all the settings, and this is about as good as it gets.

Latest posts

Back