seven days and seven nights

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedmax

Reaction score
I just got power back after seven days and seven nights without:bang head:. the early noreaster dumped 10 inches of snow on trees that still had their leaves on, needless to say ALOT of trees came down including several in my yard.

The storm was last saterday, sunday and monday I spent removing tree debris from the front yard ,preparing it for the power guys to reattatch the power to my house. When they finally came through wensday, instead of reattatching it to my house before they energized the street they removed my lines from the pole at the street. When they finnally did energize the street I was still with out power. After three days of being told "midnight tonight" I was finnally told they really didnt know when I would get "hooked up":bang head:

So I tracked down a group of michigan linesmen and a supperviser staging in a local field and explained the sittuation, they followed my to my house and within 30 minutes I had power:eusa_dance:.

Thank you michigan linesmen. ( I also now own a 5000 watt honda generator)

Glad your back, happened to us back in 06, had to drive 3 hours to Cleavland to get a generator, but it was worth it.

I hear we can take the loss of power off our taxes...a little known benifit of living in Massachusetts...:jerk it:

Move to Florida quickly.....:clapping:

Yeah, like the power never goes out in Florida.

...I lived in Ocala for 13 years. I recall a March storm once that also put many trees on the ground. I had no power for 4 days. I had just purchased a complete butchered side of beef and had a freezer full. Bought dry ice for the first two days and a generator after that.

Power outages are a fact of life here in the woods, I have a 13,500 surge wattage generator permanently hard wired to the back side of the panel....just flip a couple breakers and we're back live!

You guys really got nailed Rick, I heard some parts of CT are still without power, also. We got it back in a couple days....lucky, this time.

Those 5K Honda's are nice....good choice! :clapping:

ya i know what its like rick. the big ice storm years back in que, was out for like 6 days but with our two sump pump not working and no gen to be found in 600km radius. the pump were filling with 25gal of water every 22mins...... for real we had to take shifts stay up 24hrs. was soo bad had to set a alarm cuz youd fall asleep in a few mins and basement would flood.

I just got power back after seven days and seven nights without:bang head:. the early noreaster dumped 10 inches of snow on trees that still had their leaves on, needless to say ALOT of trees came down including several in my yard.

The storm was last saterday, sunday and monday I spent removing tree debris from the front yard ,preparing it for the power guys to reattatch the power to my house. When they finally came through wensday, instead of reattatching it to my house before they energized the street they removed my lines from the pole at the street. When they finnally did energize the street I was still with out power. After three days of being told "midnight tonight" I was finnally told they really didnt know when I would get "hooked up":bang head:

So I tracked down a group of michigan linesmen and a supperviser staging in a local field and explained the sittuation, they followed my to my house and within 30 minutes I had power:eusa_dance:.

Thank you michigan linesmen. ( I also now on a 5000 watt honda generator)

Sorry to here Rick, that's way too long. I have a Lincoln Welder for a back up. 16 hp gas. Best thing I ever bought. Puts out 2- 240 lines and 4 -115 VOLT lines. Enough to cook, and refrigerate, tv. Need to hard wire it, but single lines in are better than nothing. Got 1 240 volt cord made up and a few 115 volt so far. You never know when you'll need it in the Northeast.Not bad to have a d/c + and - wellder either
Steve

Last edited:
Yes, we have power outages in Florida but I don't know of anyone feeezing because of one....:rofl_200:
7 days without power up north could be a killer.. Unless your like DannyMax...

Yes, we have power outages in Florida but I don't know of anyone feeezing because of one....:rofl_200:
7 days without power up north could be a killer.. Unless your like DannyMax...

Haha!! :rofl_200: The storm Rov is referring to was in '98, I lived in a small township on the Canadian border at the time. Niagara Mohawk estimated over 3,ooo power poles were brought down in my little town because of the ice....I figured that was pretty much all of them!

It was a nightmare, several people died, large herds of cattle...very bad situation!!

Ol' Dannymax gets caught like that once....and only once!! :punk:

In Davie FL where a113ycat's new ride is, after Hurricane Wilma I was on the job going from house to house in the trailer parks, looking for corpses & people trapped. Because the town has thousands of trailers & mobile homes, it took a couple of days using fire/rescue, police, and other town workers. It was funny, you could plot on a G.I.S. map of the town where the worst damage was (reported according to NIMS standards) and that was evidently where the worst storm localized vortices did their damage. On the GIS map it looked like a wind demon's claw ripped parallel diagonal paths through the neighborhoods. On one side of a street, nothing left standing, on the other side, only damage from debris from the other side's demolished dwellings. I have pictures of the lee-side of a trailer which is totally gone down to the floor & anchoring frame steel structural members/piers and floor sheathing, except for the one end wall closest to another trailer, which took the brunt of the windstorm as the path of the hurricane swept through the park. In a hutch on that one wall left standing, the family's commemorative china plate collection-untouched! Plenty of other stuff like that. The town lost something in the neighborhood of 3000 housing units during Wilma, and that was nowhere as bad as Andrew in 1992. Whole blocks were bulldozed and separated out for scrap in Davie after Wilma. In Miami-Dade Co., after Andrew, they used a park on Key Biscayne (where Richard Nixon used to stay as President, the guest of bank owner Bebe Reboso, who stored the $400,000 used to pay the Watergate Plumbers with money CREEP collected from the National Dairy Producers assn. I don't think the dairy industry had any idea where their $$ was going. Anyone recall what the acronym CREEP stands for?) as a temporary dump for transshipment of destroyed structures, vehicles, boats, and infrastructure while they figured out what to do w/it. It lay there for years, being whittled-down as they removed it. Unfortunately, it happened to be one of the best places in half a dozen counties for mountain biking. All gone.

In Davie FL where a113ycat's new ride is, after Hurricane Wilma I was on the job going from house to house in the trailer parks, looking for corpses & people trapped. Because the town has thousands of trailers & mobile homes, it took a couple of days using fire/rescue, police, and other town workers. It was funny, you could plot on a G.I.S. map of the town where the worst damage was (reported according to NIMS standards) and that was evidently where the worst storm localized vortices did their damage. On the GIS map it looked like a wind demon's claw ripped parallel diagonal paths through the neighborhoods. On one side of a street, nothing left standing, on the other side, only damage from debris from the other side's demolished dwellings. I have pictures of the lee-side of a trailer which is totally gone down to the floor & anchoring frame steel structural members/piers and floor sheathing, except for the one end wall closest to another trailer, which took the brunt of the windstorm as the path of the hurricane swept through the park. In a hutch on that one wall left standing, the family's commemorative china plate collection-untouched! Plenty of other stuff like that. The town lost something in the neighborhood of 3000 housing units during Wilma, and that was nowhere as bad as Andrew in 1992. Whole blocks were bulldozed and separated out for scrap in Davie after Wilma. In Miami-Dade Co., after Andrew, they used a park on Key Biscayne (where Richard Nixon used to stay as President, the guest of bank owner Bebe Reboso, who stored the $400,000 used to pay the Watergate Plumbers with money CREEP collected from the National Dairy Producers assn. I don't think the dairy industry had any idea where their $$ was going. Anyone recall what the acronym CREEP stands for?) as a temporary dump for transshipment of destroyed structures, vehicles, boats, and infrastructure while they figured out what to do w/it. It lay there for years, being whittled-down as they removed it. Unfortunately, it happened to be one of the best places in half a dozen counties for mountain biking. All gone.

Haha....Tricky Dicky and the crew!! :rofl_200:

shit rick, that sucks man

we lost power for about 36 hours but was told it'd be a week. once i heard a week i was on my way to meet my pops halfway to utica with a generator (since they were sold out from here to at least danny's neck of the woods). met him in schenectady on monday as my wife called and told me the power was back. couldn't be having a 1 month old in the house with no heat.

i have a generator now. haha, never used!

Haha!! :rofl_200: The storm Rov is referring to was in '98, I lived in a small township on the Canadian border at the time. Niagara Mohawk estimated over 3,ooo power poles were brought down in my little town because of the ice....I figured that was pretty much all of them!

It was a nightmare, several people died, large herds of cattle...very bad situation!!

Ol' Dannymax gets caught like that once....and only once!! :punk:

:punk::punk: yup have to get the gen switch over set up done, been thinking about it for yrs now......... better get on her, wanted to set up a little hydro dam and wind-gen also

Yeah Rick, 1 hour short of a week even to get my power back on Saturday. I can't remember any time having the power off for more than an hour/two or half a day anyways......

My mother's still without power in the CT hills. That's not that unusual for her though. Her power goes out semi regularly with just a breeze sometimes. And her generator's broke down twice this week just to add insult-to-injury......

Standby for the rest of the winter. :confused2:

Wow that sucks Rick!!! Hell I live in the city and my power still goes out everytime a thunder storm passes within 50 miles of my place LOL. So much for that global warming stuff eh? They have snow in the forecast here later this week, but then warming right back up which is nice:eusa_dance:

Back