Shift light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Hi all,
some may have read my post of me racing the other day and looked down and was almost at 11rpm. Didn't know the max had no limiter. Anyway I wanna get a shift light so I do not blow it up.

Any recommendations? Price and ease of assembly are my biggest factors here!!! Thanks!

harlan shift light. google harlan engineering. $50 or so with shipping. not the prettiest but does its job very well.

You could also check out Cycle One Off's website. I have a Raptor shiftlight from Tom and it is excellent! Have it mounted in a custom gauge cluster that Tom built for me. Will have to post some pics next week once Toxic comes out of the shop from dyno tuning.

Mine was quite easy to install and setup was a breeze. One word of caution about setup. With both the Raptor and the Harlan you have to set it up in 2cyl mode for it to work properly or if in 4cyl mode have it turn on at half the RPM setpoint you wanted. Has to do with the Vmax ignition being single pulse vs double pulse. Having looked at both they each have their strong points. I took power from the power wire for my running lights on the front (which I do not have installed as my blinkers are single element) and pulled the ignition signal from the signal wire to my tach (grey wire on the back of the stock tach). Took me all of 10 minutes to complete. With the Raptor you do have to put shrink tube or something over the opening to change the settings as it isn't waterproof. With the Harlan I do believe they sell it in a motorcycle version that is water resisitant. Whatever your choice you can't go wrong.

raptors look a little better i think. you are also going to pay 3x the amount. i think for the price harlan is great. if you really want something clean with a nice mount n whatnot and $$ isn't an issue, raptor is better it seems.

the harlan 'waterproofing' i think is just a rubber nipple at the end. mine def isn't water proof on the light end b/c i still am looking for a way to have better covering, as my celephane with electrical tape method looks like SHITE!

all you have to do is splice your 3 wires off of the shfit light to the 3 wires behind the tach. i promise its easy! ur not going to find a plug and play one tho unfortunately (as far as i know)

I have a Raptor Shiftlight, its great and easy to install
http://www.raptorperformance.com/

(From Raptor's Website)

Everything needed to connect the Raptor rev light is located on the back of the existing, on-board tachometer.
1. Remove the seat.
2. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. - Important!
3. Remove the top cover.
4. Remove the air filter case cover.
5. Remove the air filter.
6. Take time to protect the carburetor intakes. - Important!
7. Look under the existing instrument panel and unscrew the two mounting bolts.
8. Turn the instrument panel over and unbolt the mounting bracket from the instrument panel (two nuts). You are trying to access the back of the existing tachometer.
9. Place your inline fuse on the red wire. - Important
10. On the back of the existing tachometer you have three terminals. On the 2004 models the black is your needed ground wire. The Gray/yellow is your needed tach wire, and the brown is your needed switched 12 volts connection. Take time to make sure none of the wires are touching each other after you are done with your connections.

YamahaVmax1.jpg

11.Set the light for 2 cylinder mode
12. Before you start back out, you can test your work for the most part, by simply connecting the ground terminal and turning the ignition key to the "on" position. It should perform exactly as the instructions say it will. You might want to determine how many flashes you can expect ahead of may time to be ready for that.
13. Once that has been accomplished, you back out in inverse order of the way you came in, with the exception of the negative battery cable.

Great write up Chris!! Would have explained my install, but I have an aftermarket tach mounted up where my speedo used to be so mine is wee different.

Thanks Jim:biglaugh:. I just did the famous cut and paste move and embedded picture move from Raptor's website. Figured it should be documented here. Step 6 is important, I covered the carbs with a drop cloth, sure as shit, dropped a small screw..saved the day..

Hi all,
some may have read my post of me racing the other day and looked down and was almost at 11rpm. Didn't know the max had no limiter. Anyway I wanna get a shift light so I do not blow it up.

Any recommendations? Price and ease of assembly are my biggest factors here!!! Thanks!
OK I missed the race post. I also couldn't find it? who what and when...lol

haha yea! get off the throttle when u see it go on! j/k.. i'm not sure if any are made like that

One I know of is "The Sasy" but I do not wanna ship one from Australia really

You can get the Sasy from a place in Naples FL. It has a shift light but it's a tiny LED that you can't see. The "rev limiter" does nothing more than close the V-boost plates at a specified RPM.

I have the Sasy and it's neat but not for a shift light or rev limiter.

I have the shift light and handle bar bracket from COO and it works great. I soldered my wires to the stock connectors so that I had less bulk under the tach and because the wires are UBER small.

Latest posts

Back