shifter sticking

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cor7498

Reaction score
Has anyone had there shifter stay up or down when shifting? When I down shift it stays down when I shift up it stays up.I can move it back to center with my foot and shift to the next gear. Gears and clutch seem to be fine.

Start simple first. Is the linkage OK, nothing binding? Just a guess but I'd say the most probable cause is a bent shift shaft or broken/misplaced shift shaft spring.

the linkage and shaft look not binding.was fine last time I rode.I changed the oil since then and was wondering if maybe the orange O ring in the oil pan were the lines feed in blew out and the trans isn't getting oil.

The engine wouldn't be getting oil if the o-ring blew out. I agree that it may be binding linkage or even the return spring may have broken or popped loose inside the engine (located under the clutch basket).

Sean

The spring being broke or popped off sounds exactly the way it feels. The linkage hasn't been touched and looks fine. Thanks I am going to pull the clutch cover this weekend.

You might be able to see it just on the left side of the basket. otherwise you will need to pull the basket out to see it.
Sean

We are about 1/2 miles from each other! Give me a call or stop over and we will sort it out!

Found the problem. I used permatex on the clutch cover instead of the stock gasket which made the cover to close to the shifter shaft and caused it to stick. Easy fix. Thanks for the info.

It may sound ridiculous but all the covers need the gasket and not just locktite. If you had done that to the stator cover the bike wouldn't even turn over since it would bind up the starter.

Sean

Yep, I was there tonight!! Pulled up and parked, looked over and was sitting next to two other Vmaxes!! Left about 8:30.

This site is F'ing awesome...i'm experiencing the same issue and could not for the life of me figure out what the deal was...i'm using gasket sealer instead of the gasket as well...I, however, like the gasket sealer and will most likely grind down the button on the case to make it work...unless someone chimes in and thinks it's a bad idea...

Latest posts

Back