Shorai Lithium Iron eXtreme-LFX Battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
When my stock battery bit the dust, I wanted to go back with a more dependable premium replacement. After consulting with several Vmax owners the name Odyssey PC 680 kept popping up. I am very happy and have no regrets on the performance other than it weighs over twice as much as the OEM battery which it comes in at 15.4 lbs.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I was reading an article in Cycle World about another well built battery out there you may or may not of heard about that is a much lighter weight as well. The PC680 has 680 cranking amps for the first 5 seconds and the Shorai starts out with 270 amps. Check out the below link and let me know what you think about it.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Pretty pricy ($190) neighborhood for the Vmax; however, they claim 5-6 year life expectancy. I paid $120 for the PC680 including shipping, just hauling around and the extra 8 lbs everywhere I go.

Go to the below link and click on accolades

http://www.shoraipower.com/default.aspx

How bout you lose 10 pounds. Max is a pig anyway. What difference a few pounds makes? Not much.

I tend to agree with Mr Patmax that ten pounds in the grand scheme of things is not significant.

Also the Odyssey also give significantly better CCA:
680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds

The Shorai gives 270 and whilst that may be enough to get the motor spinning I'd rather have the extra headroom for those 'difficult' moments.

An added bonus is the money you save as well.....Hmmmm, beer!

You could also jump start someones vehicle for them with the PC680. So I guess I will start my diet today. :10_3_7:

Well-- I put one of these very light weight batteries in my bike after the old batt. wouldn't take a charge. You bet it's light and it works fine .

Arn't we at about 5 pounds per horsepower? And with the 20 lbs. I've lost + 10 from the lighter battery--- That's roughly 6 hp?????

I do wish there was an inexpensive way for the Max to loose 80 lbs. though.

Lew

Uhm, one thing to note is that a Lithium battery while under load is actually going to INCREASE CCA as it heats up (to a certain point) This means you can crank that starter for longer than you can a Lead acid battery. I personally don't know anything about that particular LA battery but was going to ask myself what everyone thought of this Lithium battery. My current battery is on it's last leg and I'm going to need a replacement soon. I figure with the lifespan reaching out to 10 Years on the lithium battery vs. 5 or so years with a LA battery (mine usually works out to every 2-3 years) this is something that has piqued my interest.

Back