Showa VTX Shocks On VMax Install Tips & Pics

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil-3446

Reaction score
Hey Gang…

While looking around the other day at auctions, I saw the guy that had the USD forks, 17” back wheel, and other stuff on Ebay. He also had an auction for some Showa shocks off of a VTX 1800 that he had used on his VMax and said they fit perfect.

Link to the VTX 1800 shock auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VMAX...012QQitemZ220120327985QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I thought to myself…”Showa VTX shocks…those look kind of cool…maybe I should bid on those”. First, I did a little research and learned that Showa VTX 1300 and VTX 1800 shocks are often the same, except some models have different upper and lower shock bushings in them. Many people say they will work on both bikes, many say they are totally different. I’m a stickler for doing research on everything…Google is my best friend.

Then I found a set of Showa VTX 1300 shocks at auction from someone who takes them off new bikes for doing trike conversions. I thought…WTF, I’ll take a gamble and hope they really do fit Mr. Max. $90 per pair and $16 shipping for 0 mile shocks, beats $95 for a used pair and $20 shipping every day of the week.

Link to the VTX 1300 shock auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...ryZ35592QQihZ008QQitemZ180132021005QQtcZphoto

Anyway, they came in today, and low and behold…they didn’t fit, because, the shock bushing holes were too large for the Max shock studs, and lacked the center metal spacer….Bummer :bang head:

After some thought, I decided to press the bushings out of the VTX shocks and see what I could come up with.

Solution???

1 - Press the bushings out of the VTX shocks.

2 - Press the bushings out of a set of Vmax shocks.

3 - Slightly dress the Vmax bushings down about 3/16” total diameter (Don't Go Too Far!!! You want a nice tight fit while leaving the middle bushing groove).

4 - Grease and press the Vmax bushing into the VTX shocks.

5 - Install your new VTX 1300 shocks on Mr. Max and enjoy!

You could make your own center spacers for the original VTX bushing and press them in, but, this is by far the easiest way.

(Shawn has brought up the point that you could use a bushing that actually fits the application. Finding this bushing should be a quest for those interested in this mod, anyone know a part #???)

I’m still not sure what to think about them from a looks standpoint. They might look better on a stock body VMax??? Certain angles they look bad as hell, others angles I like the old springs better.

They are exactly 12 ?”center hole to center hole, and lower Max about 1”.

One thing is for sure, these pictures don’t do them justice.

Please excuse my Max, he's in the middle of Major surgery and lacking some key components!

Thoughts???

Attachments

• showa_shock.jpg
    showa_shock.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 68
  • back_showa.jpg
    back_showa.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 53
  • full_side_showa.jpg
    full_side_showa.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 118
My progressive shocks came with 3 or 4 different adaptor bushings for different applications.Maybe you could get some that would make them work.

My progressive shocks came with 3 or 4 different adaptor bushings for different applications.Maybe you could get some that would make them work.

Now you tell me :biglaugh:

Would you mind to measure the od and id of those different bushings...what progressive shocks are you talking about...418's and 440's???

Guess the real point of this story is, VTX 1300 shocks will work on a VMax just like VTX 1800 shocks, so don't over pay if you like the look.

With easy to find bushings...this would be butter for anyone!

:cheers:

Neil

Very interesting mod. However, I'm really digging the invisable rear wheel mod you have going on.:punk:

My father and I both wonderd if his VTX shocks would work on the max but just never got a chance to find out.

Kawasaki ZRX-1200 gas shocks work. Very comfy ride!

Mark

The bushings that fit vmax studs are on the bike now.

Shawn do these have metal spacers that you can swap out, or is it the whole bushing you're talking about?

The VTX shocks have a 24mm opening for the whole bushing, where the Max has a 27mm opening. That is why I have to dress the VMax bushing down to fit the VTX opening.

Very interesting mod. However, I'm really digging the invisable rear wheel mod you have going on.

That's a secret project I've been working on when I take a break from building my Flux Capacitor Powered Pocket Bike. :biglaugh:

Kawasaki ZRX-1200 gas shocks work. Very comfy ride!

Mark

Thanks for the tip...any photos???

:cheers:

Neil

No they come with little steel bushings that go onto the shock mount stud.3 or 4 different sets so I guess the shocks are more universal.

They aren't on my max but on a friends. I'm going to bug him for some pictures and see how long they are. I think he only needed to put different bushings on.

Mark

Back