Sick 96 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
Ok the Max is running on three cylinders, smoking from left exhaust and strong smell of gas when its running. This was a sudden change, running fine then started it and 3 cylinders
Have just changed the plugs and it is now smoking less but still only running on three cylinders.
Any suggestions where to go next? Have cops, might it be one of these breaking down?

I would try to pinpoint the problem before throwing new parts on. Sometimes it just adds to the confusion.

First, I'd feel the cylinders. One should be colder than the rest if it is not firing. An IR gun would be best but there are other methods that aren't quite as safe.

Once you locate which cylinder is dead, I would pull the plug wire, grab a spark plug, plug it into the lead, ground the plug, and start the bike. See if you are getting a good spark.

If you are not getting good spark, you can swap a known good coil from another cylinder in its place and see if that fixes the no spark condition.

If you have spark, I'd guess its a fuel issue. Drain the fuel from the float bowl feeding the dead cylinder. Look for debris in the container. Regardless, if you don't have spark, I would be pulling the carbs and going thru them. I would also check the tank, fuel lines and filter for any debris.

Ok the Max is running on three cylinders, smoking from left exhaust and strong smell of gas when its running. This was a sudden change, running fine then started it and 3 cylinders
Have just changed the plugs and it is now smoking less but still only running on three cylinders.
Any suggestions where to go next? Have cops, might it be one of these breaking down?
Do they have resistors on the cops?

I would try to pinpoint the problem before throwing new parts on. Sometimes it just adds to the confusion.

First, I'd feel the cylinders. One should be colder than the rest if it is not firing. An IR gun would be best but there are other methods that aren't quite as safe.

Once you locate which cylinder is dead, I would pull the plug wire, grab a spark plug, plug it into the lead, ground the plug, and start the bike. See if you are getting a good spark.

If you are not getting good spark, you can swap a known good coil from another cylinder in its place and see if that fixes the no spark condition.

If you have spark, I'd guess its a fuel issue. Drain the fuel from the float bowl feeding the dead cylinder. Look for debris in the container. Regardless, if you don't have spark, I would be pulling the carbs and going thru them. I would also check the tank, fuel lines and filter for any debris.

+1. Checking the cylinder for heat will tell you if your getting fire there.

The pilot jets are easily clogged on the Vmax, so its easy for a carb not to get fuel at idle. Its the pilot jets that meter the fuel at idle.

Cleaning the pilot jets are easy, and I know of people that will do it 1-2 times a year, just because to keep the Vmax running sharp.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Its raining now so will try the shotgun on monday/tuesday as well as testing the cps for fire. As Ive had the bike 5 years/40 k miles and never done the jets its probably about time, from what Im reading lol
Thanks for your help

If it smells of gas, it's not a clogged pilot jet. Even a dead plug might not do that. Stuck float maybe? Easy enough to check fuel level.

if you are still running the stock ignition coils, take a look to see if the plastic is cracked, common vmax problem, by the way check the coils in front over cyl # 2 and cyl # 4, gonna have to take several parts of to get at them, or maybe try to start the vmax in the dark in a garage and look to see if there are sparks coming out of the coils

So first thing to try is smacking the float bowls with a hammer in case one is stuck ,,, old school style lmao

Did the shotgun thing and seems to have fixed it,,, big thanks to all for your help

Back