sick max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old max

Reaction score
Hi all, joined a little while ago and just took possession of a 92 vmax today. First time around a max and i like it. Feels a lot different than my v65 magna. He needs a lot of TLC, brakes, fork springs, but most of all CARB work. I put seafoam in but only got 20 miles because of commitments. It stalled at a traffic light because it is running so rough. I mean real rough[it has been sitting for a long time[5700 miles on it].Will it hurt to run it when it runs shitty to try to get the carb cleaner working? I hate not being able to ride a bike i just waited 2 weeks to get. All replies welcome. Thanks Old Max

I've always tried to ride the bikes I've bought with carb cleaner circulating first. Then carb work if necessary.
These old VMax's are really tough old bikes and it may come back doing that.

The major trouble today is Ethanol in the gas. Look for some Non Ethanol which is still available at some stations.
Do a search on "Real Gas". Or atleast treat the Ethanol Gas with a good product to neutralize the Ethanol Effects...

BTW: Welcome to the Forum..

Running Seafoam while you ride is ok, but you need to do the Shotgunt method on the carbs first. Then see how it runs. Get rid of any old gas and put fresh in. Shotgun : http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm be sure and post back because ther are a lot of info other members will chime in and get you on the right track, lots of things to go over to get her back on top shelf and this is the place that members will be glad to help with.

You could try the shotgun method for cleaning out the carbs, they may need to be rebuilt anyway, but this is an easy inexpensive option to try before having to remove the rack and shelling out the bucks, I would replace the fuel filter while your at it, maybe a fresh set of plugs if you haven't already, look at the rubber boots at the carbs for cracking/dryrot ect, a vacuum leak will cause problems, I will assume the tank is full of fresh fuel, I'm sure others will chime in also!..........................Good luck my friend and keep us informed!..............Tom.

Thanks fellas,i think i'm gonna try riding it with carb cleaner first then start plugs-wires- carb cleaning, just want to put some miles on it. Bad part is i have to leave at 3am tomorrow for 3 days. I can feel this is a tough engine and i wanted to hit vboost but i was already doing 80 mph on the highway and running with a plate off another bike [ not registered yet ] I will keep you informed on the outcome of the ' tuneup'.

Theres a thread around here somewhere about this stuff that you just put in your gas tank. I saw it the other day at wall mart in the auto section Its called juststart or something like that. It's in a yellow box. If I see it again I'll let you know but some guys absolutely swear by it. Someone on here bought like six lawn misers that had been sitting years and they all ran good after putting this stuff in. If anyone remembers who or where that thread was chime In. Good luck, Ed

It's called "START YOUR ENGINE", I get mine at Autozone for 7.99. One four oz bottle mixes with one gal of gas. The best way to use it is to have 1 gal of fuel in the bike and ride it a few miles and then let it set overnight so it can really eat away at gummed up jets and fuel circuits and then ride the rest of it out the next day.

Again, thanks for the replys , i will look for Start Your Engine and try it ,i just want to run the snot out of this bike - it feels like a pit bull- and it's pure stock and not in tune. I know when i get it running good it will probably scare the crap out of me . Very Cool Bike

You get that thing running right, do a 2nd gear roll on at 30mph, and when the V-Boost hits at 6K you will be hooked for life!................:punk:

I enjoy all the feed back, I just got back from North. MI and i am pretty sure it's carbs and i want to pull them off but a little nervous because i have never done carbs before. I think it is clean and synch but i let"s ride. old max
-- c

Latest posts

Back