signals only work when parked

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
What in the world gives? My signal lights work when the bike isnt moving,..but when I'm riding ,they dont work? Is there somthng I should know or look for? This is most strange. Bothe left and right work 100% while sitting. ..First the right signal stoped working while riding,...now the left one wont work......what do you make off that?

What in the world gives? My signal lights work when the bike isnt moving,..but when I'm riding ,they dont work? Is there somthng I should know or look for? This is most strange. Bothe left and right work 100% while sitting. ..First the right signal stoped working while riding,...now the left one wont work......what do you make off that?

What about moving turns them off? Gear engagement? Clutch let off?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

It depends on the year model you have..Yamaha built artificial intelligence in some of their bikes in which g- forces automatically deactivated certain non essential electrical components with the assumption that at such a high rate of speed, turn signals were deemed unnecessary...

Ok in all seriousness does moving any of those wires when parked mess with the turn signals

while I am riding, I turn the signals on..they wont work. If I stop the bike and try it again,.they work every time. I start ring again,..turn the signal on, and nothing! I stop the bike,..and then turn them on and they work. I cannot get the signals to come on while I am moving.

while I am riding, I turn the signals on..they wont work. If I stop the bike and try it again,.they work every time. I start ring again,..turn the signal on, and nothing! I stop the bike,..and then turn them on and they work. I cannot get the signals to come on while I am moving.
Right I follow, when u say stopped u mean engine running right?

So what happens when you

A. Turn signals on when stopped and then start going? When do they cut off?
B. Turn signals on when moving (don't work) and come to a stop, do they start workin?

And you've confirmed its not just the indicator bulb turning off for some reason but the directionals are still working?

Last edited:
There is a self-canceling feature on the Max, which will cancel the blinkers after both a certain time and a distance criteria have been met.

I'm not entirely sure how it knows about the distance (must be to do with the speedo somehow) but in your case I'd try swapping the turn signal relay first. Sure Sean could hook you up with one under his part exchange program; if not I may have one, but I need to check it works properly.

I agree with naughtyG (hey, I made a rhyme!) that your problem would seem to be related with the turn signal self-cancelling feature of the bike. If you have access to a spare t.s. relay, swap it out. If this doesn't work, try disconnecting the feed wire from the speedometer that goes into the turn signal relay - the white and green one. Do this at the relay itself, located behind the left hand scoop. If the signals now operate while the bike is moving, the problem is in the speedo.
Cheers, Miles

I agree with naughtyG (hey, I made a rhyme!) that your problem would seem to be related with the turn signal self-cancelling feature of the bike. If you have access to a spare t.s. relay, swap it out. If this doesn't work, try disconnecting the feed wire from the speedometer that goes into the turn signal relay - the white and green one. Do this at the relay itself, located behind the left hand scoop. If the signals now operate while the bike is moving, the problem is in the speedo.
Cheers, Miles

Ah yes ,perfct.. I took it for a ride this morning and noticed the signals worked for a bit while I was moving, I would turn it on...it would cancel about 2 seconds later. Somes times it would stay on for up to 8 seconds, and some times not at all. I will disconect the white and green wire and see what happens...thanks.

Thank you MILES,..With the skill of a surgeon I carefully "sniped" the green and white wire....WALLA! I now have signal lights on the GO :biglaugh:

Miles....."you are a gentleman, a scholar, and a judge of fine woman"

Thank you MILES,..With the skill of a surgeon I carefully "sniped" the green and white wire....WALLA! I now have signal lights on the GO :biglaugh:

Miles....."you are a gentleman, a scholar, and a judge of fine woman"

You are welcome.
My mission in life has always been, and will remain, "to service the V-max community".
and maybe a few of those fine women.

I FIGURED i'D POST A PIC OF THE WIRE YOU HAVE TO CUT IF YOU ARE HAVING SIGNAL LIGHT PROBLEMS LIKE i DID. I have self cancelling signals, but they didnt work while the bike was in motion. So after cliping the white and green wire, or green and white "witch ever way you see it' THEY ARE NOW BACK TO NORMAL, BUT DONT SELF CANCELL. It has the RED arrow showing the wire.

Disregard the plug-inn with the green line around it"that is just your boost diconected "pic was used in another post"

Crap...I forgot to add the pic!!! Cant seem to do it now.....look down to the next post ARRRGGG.

Last edited:
heres the pic from the previos post

Attachments

• vmax plates and phill 008.jpg
    vmax plates and phill 008.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 21
Ummmm guys, I feel lost in this thread. :ummm:

Exactly when did Yamaha begin putting self-cancelling turn signals on Vmaxes? :confused2:

Either the 85's didn't yet have that feature, or I've just awakened from a really, really foggy dream and don't even know where I'm at right now. :biglaugh:

Instead, I'm hoping Mother Yamaha added that to subsequent model years. That, or mine haven't worked since DAY ONE, and I never caught on. Please say it ain't so!!!!

????

As if I needed something else around the garage to fix right now.

Ummmm guys, I feel lost in this thread. :ummm:

Exactly when did Yamaha begin putting self-cancelling turn signals on Vmaxes? :confused2:

Either the 85's didn't yet have that feature, or I've just awakened from a really, really foggy dream and don't even know where I'm at right now. :biglaugh:

Instead, I'm hoping Mother Yamaha added that to subsequent model years. That, or mine haven't worked since DAY ONE, and I never caught on. Please say it ain't so!!!!

????

i believe its a day one thing

i believe its a day one thing

I was afraid someone was going to say that.

Weather permitting, I will HAVE TO have a test ride tonight. IF I FIND that it has had self-cancelling turns all this time, you'll probably not see any more posts from me ever again - cause I'll know it's time to hang it up. My minds' gone completely and no further reason to go on. How would I ever live it down? :rofl_200:

(I'm about 99.9% certain the wife had to toot her horn at me just a couple weeks ago when we last rode together - our reminder to each other to turn a forgotten signal off)

Hell, I may have to leave work early to go home and do this test. It worries me that I could have reached senility so early in life.

The wife says she last tooted a reminder when we were out on our Runes the other day. That's just another slight clue I may well be losing my mind.

I know for a fact, the Rune doesn't have self-cancelling signals, cause I thought right off Honda could a done better for the $$ they charged for that bike. The way I sit in relation to the Rune bars causes me to constantly forget to cancel signals and it is a problem for me. The wife also forgets routinely. The way Max sits, my finger most generally remains on the switch until I've completed the turn and it's easy to remember to push the button.

We'll see if it works or not for sure. For sure. Trouble is: if it works, how the Frick did I miss it for 25 flippin' years? I know I'm far from the most observant dude in the world, but give me a break - 25 years and I never noticed. eeks! I won't ever live it down.

The wife says she last tooted a reminder when we were out on our Runes the other day. That's just another slight clue I may well be losing my mind.

I know for a fact, the Rune doesn't have self-cancelling signals, cause I thought right off Honda could a done better for the $$ they charged for that bike. The way I sit in relation to the Rune bars causes me to constantly forget to cancel signals and it is a problem for me. The wife also forgets routinely. The way Max sits, my finger most generally remains on the switch until I've completed the turn and it's easy to remember to push the button.

We'll see if it works or not for sure. For sure. Trouble is: if it works, how the Frick did I miss it for 25 flippin' years? I know I'm far from the most observant dude in the world, but give me a break - 25 years and I never noticed. eeks! I won't ever live it down.

i believe the math is..
400m or 15 seconds whichever comes last.

OK. It's official (and burned into my brain this time). My 85 does indeed have the self cancelling signals and they work.

IF, I ever knew that tidbit, I managed to forget it over the years and don't recall ever using it. At least not that I was aware of. It's probably been used thousands of times as I forgot to manually cancel off and on over the years and I just never realized.

I always knew my Venture Royale had them, but thought Max didn't. :confused2:

Now, where'd I put those keys.................... hey, where am I? :biglaugh:

15 sec ey, they you should be able to just turn it on while in the garage and watch them to see if they turn off no?

Back