Slip Ons - Kerker vs Supertrapp

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpirtle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have on '06 Vmax that I have intentionally kept stock and lately have been riding it more for commuting (slightly better MPG than the VTX1800). I want to get a nice pipe sound without going down the tuning road so I'm looking at ordering Supertrapp's or Kerker's from Morley's.

Plenty of info out there on the trapps but not a whole lot I can find on the Kerkers. I'm guessing for the money most people are going for the full 4:1 set since the Kerker's are a bit pricey for slip ons..

I like the look of the Kerkers better than the trapp's which is why I'm leaning that way but does anyone have experience with the sound of each and how they compare?

If I go with Kerkers, I'd probably start out with the factory 1.5" baffles and no wrap. Not really up for sinking another $250 into them for the 2.5" baffles.

I spent 2 hours last night listening to the different sounds on here and really can't get a good feel for the sound qualities, plus I'm not sure I was able to find a sample of Kerker slip ons, most of them are the full 4:1 system.

Interested in any thoughts and opinions on the subject, thanks.

From what I see the Trapps turn an uneven yellow and where they join with the headers looks kinda unfinished.

As to the Kerker you may have to re-jet, at that point might as well go with Marks.

O

Kyle's offer is a great alternative..... More Better Horsepower...

Last edited:
Is re-jetting required for the 4:1? I've heard comments both ways..

I really don't want to get into tuning on this one & I'm not sure I like the looks of a single pipe on the Max.

I really don't want to get into tuning on this one & I'm not sure I like the looks of a single pipe on the Max.
It would be better to drop the mains one or 2 sizes which you can do with out pulling the carbs apart. I can walk you thru it no problem at all along with lots of other people here. You do have to pull carbs which is about a 10 minute job.

If you enjoy the V-Max stock , you will be very happy after the 4-1 Kerker ( or other performance exhaust ) and a Stage 7 kit or a morleys muscle jet kit have been installed and tuned . Almost night & day difference and well worth the time and money . :punk:

I used to have the Holeshot 4-2 slip-ons and recently switched to the Supertrapps.

From the holeshots(which are no longer made) to the trapps with 8 discs, the trapps are a bit louder and have more bass to the note, it's overall lower and louder.

The trapps are a bit smaller, and the stainless ones will turn a yellowish near the headpipes. It doesn't really look bad but they do discolor slightly. They're also a lot cheaper.

Trapps you can tune the sound in as you want. More discs for louder, less for quieter. You can swap closed/open end caps for different notes as well.

Slip ons do not require rejetting, full systems do. The Kerker 4-1 not only requires removing the center stand, but also cutting the tabs off the frame.

I'd go with the Trapps if you want a slip on. Otherwise go for a Marks full system and a Muscle kit, but those two things will set you back around $1300 as opposed to $350 for some Trapp slip-ons.

I have the chrome Kerker slip-ons and prefer them to any other slip-ons. They are available in aluminum also but the chrome looks much better in my opinion. Look at my album for pics. I've had Jardine slip-ons, Supertrapp slip-ons and the Kerker. The problem is the Kerkers are too expensive. Best to try and find used. For the new price, I would probably pay more and get the Marks.

I just bought some supertrapps on ebay for $380 with free shipping. They are the flat back(powdercoated, I think) brand spankin new and sound great. Took less than 30 minutes to remove old and install the trapps. Sounds Great!!!!! No rejetting required. I may eventually try to find some performance exhaust but these were the best bang for the buck to improve the sound of the bike, IMO.

Back