Soft luggage unsafe?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldguy

Reaction score
I had a long conversation with a vendor who only sells soft luggage and he maintains that using soft side bags on the VMax is incredibly unsafe. He says the possibility of the bags shifting and getting thrown into the rear wheel area make them in his opinion really unsafe. We discussed using frame guards between the bags and the bike, but he was still adamant about not using them them on the Max.
Any takers on this?
Thanks.
Jack.

Why exactly would this be more an issue on Max than any other bike?

I used soft bags on a number of bikes and yes they *could* have shifted and gone into the rear wheel but they never did, mostly 'cos I was sitting on them!

Bullshit. I use soft bags and if they are attached well no issues. If you don't keep an eye on them sure I guess they could but tru on any bike with any bags.

I've had mine up to a buck 20 or so with no issues. 100 mph to dannys for a few miles at a time and mike from sfield could attest they stayed still.

O use soft bags all the time. Especially on ride for sight. Just sling them over rear seat anf tie them down good. Never had a problem even at over one sixty km hr.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

I have a nylon set I use from time to time. Works just fine.

Sean

Literally the bags I use are very flimsy and soft. It's all about getting them correctly tied/restrained into place.

Many trips with soft bags. One 3500 mile trip with my Max in 7 days with no supports or stand-offs. No problems... Just be careful attaching.

If soft bags where a problem a problem then why do so many have them and use them all the time. As long and you install them correctly you can ride all day, day in and out and never 'throw' them or have them rub your tire. He was just wanting to sell you a hard bag, which they do cost more.

Thanks for the replys. His opinion was that cruiser style bikes are inherinetly more likely to have this occur, I assume beacuse of the proximity of the bags to the rear wheel. I suppose some of this could have been the result of a lawsuit if someone went after his company for selling soft bags that were improperly installed and caused a crash.
Sounds like I will be o/k if I'm careful attaching them?

Maybe the vendor thinks the avg. VMax guy will be a speedster which might cause a carelessly-attached pair of bags to shift? I have several pr. of bags I have used and when properly-attached, no problems.

I had a long conversation with a vendor who only sells soft luggage and he maintains that using soft side bags on the VMax is incredibly unsafe. He says the possibility of the bags shifting and getting thrown into the rear wheel area make them in his opinion really unsafe. We discussed using frame guards between the bags and the bike, but he was still adamant about not using them them on the Max.
Any takers on this?
Thanks.
Jack.

The only issue I have had with soft luggage is off my after market Cobra exhaust, it sits higher than standard, so slightly melted the bottom of one of the panniers.

Quick fix with a rivetted stainless steel plate and is now fine.

The only issue I have had with soft luggage is off my after market Cobra exhaust, it sits higher than standard, so slightly melted the bottom of one of the panniers.

Quick fix with a rivetted stainless steel plate and is now fine.

That's a great idea. Mine singed a bit with my straight Marks cans. I was going to put turn down ends on, but might try a stainless or aluminum plate instead.
Steve-o

I had soft bags on my '85 for damn near 20 years, without a bit of trouble.
My only problem now is finding a new set to mount on the bike before Thunder..

Bullshit. I use soft bags and if they are attached well no issues. If you don't keep an eye on them sure I guess they could but tru on any bike with any bags.

I've had mine up to a buck 20 or so with no issues. 100 mph to dannys for a few miles at a time and mike from sfield could attest they stayed still.

ahhh....yup....tru-dat..........got my own set for two seasons now. no issues....except a couple burn marks on the bottom.......damn supertrapps..now holeshots..........could see them going up in smoke before getting in rear wheel.....:rofl_200:

If you know of any offices getting refurbed or new doors then try and get the kick plates from the old ones, just the right size (well they were for me)

I have to call bullshit on that too.
My friend Sam has been running the same bags on his Vmax since day 1. Although not totally soft, they are pretty squishy. I have ran soft bags on my other XS11, XS750 and Z1, with no issues.

p1030474m.jpg

Any recommendations for waterproof bags? I have been looking at a very nice Kriega US30 but pricy tho...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Back