Sorry, another 2nd gear thread.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SvenDGAF

Reaction score
In the next couple of months I am going to be undertaking the dreaded 2nd gear fix. I have read loads about undercutting, reworked gears, etc. But I am UK based, and have decided I will go for new/nearly new stock setup. I am fine with most mechanical things (my bikes never go into a garage, except for MOT and tyres) but have never had the block apart. If I can fix it once, I'll be ok in another 20k+ to do it again if needs be.

I have a complete spare gearbox with mostly good gears, and I'm trying to get my head around what I'll be needing (gaskets, parts, etc).

Has anone done a video/idiot's guide specifically for the trannie? What to look for, check, warning signs about further problems, etc? .,.......

ps.... i'm scared :th_help:

In the next couple of months I am going to be undertaking the dreaded 2nd gear fix. I have read loads about undercutting, reworked gears, etc. But I am UK based, and have decided I will go for new/nearly new stock setup. I am fine with most mechanical things (my bikes never go into a garage, except for MOT and tyres) but have never had the block apart. If I can fix it once, I'll be ok in another 20k+ to do it again if needs be.

I have a complete spare gearbox with mostly good gears, and I'm trying to get my head around what I'll be needing (gaskets, parts, etc).

Has anone done a video/idiot's guide specifically for the trannie? What to look for, check, warning signs about further problems, etc? .,.......

ps.... i'm scared :th_help:

Sorry I can't help directly but I solved this same problem last winter by taking the "easy" way out and swapping for a used and younger motor. So far so good.
But I am interested in the responses you get to learn for myself so I can fix my original motor myself at my own pace. I'll be watching this thread.

Good luck.

Pm damon here on the board. He has a video for engine and carbs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Damon's video is great for engine asembly, and will tell you exactly how to install the tranny "cluster", sift forks and drum etc.

It doesn't go into any detail about the cluster itself, like if you were to remove all the gears etc.....

Its worth its weight in gold either way

Back