Spark Plug Wire Up-Grade?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85vmax

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade my plug wires...has anyone used the Taylor Pro 8mm wires, and how the hell do you get them in the coil?
Thanks,
Chris

I haven't done this since I now have COP's, but since the factory plug wires are 7mm you have shave a bit off the wire casing to get them to fit.
It has been done many a time or so I've read...so don't despair you will get it! :thumbs up:

I am going to upgrade my plug wires...has anyone used the Taylor Pro 8mm wires, and how the hell do you get them in the coil?
Thanks,
Chris

I'm using 8mm wires w/NGK boots. I can't remember what they are.
What I did was slightly chamfer the end of the wire's rubber coating. then got generous with the dielec. grease and spent a little time pushing and twisting until the wires were seated in the coils. It will take a little work, but it's doable.

Suggest that you save your money and buy standard copper cored wire - I have never seen any evidence that trick wires make a jot of difference......

...but as always happy to be proved wrong.

die electric greese is thr key to sucess, i installled the taylor 8mm wires, i didn't do any cutting or champhoring, it's not at all easy, really don't see the advantage to this though. if you really do want to keep plug wires save you some real head aches get solid core 7mm as stated before, sence then i have changed over to cops muuuuuch better, get with 88vmx12 get his harnesses do it rite the first time. just my opinion. good luck with what ever you decide.

I did the COP conversion on my '85 this past summer. Got a set on EBay for less than $20.00, and a harness for like $10.00... Little work with a soldering gun, and I had the wires made up ready to plug in. Had to cut the connectors off the coils, but they were headed for the trash can anyway.. Total cost, less than $30.00, and a couple hours time.

Best mod I ever did to the bike!

Thanks for all the imput, I'm not doing anything exotic, just replacing aftermarket wires and NGK caps that have been 5+ years on the bike...they have stranded me twice in torrential downpours, and even after a good wash.
I have to let it sit overnight, or use the good old WD to get a spark back.

Picked up a set of lightly used Taylors and OEM wires...if I can't stuff the Taylors in, I'll use the OEM's.

My main problem are the NGK caps...not waterproof, and rubbers are cracking.

Chris

I really wouldn't say going to COP's is "exotic", loads of people here have done it, and with the mentioned adapter harnesses is easier, cheaper, and faster to replace than swapping wires. I got four sticks off ebay with a harness for $40, hour later had them wired in and installed. Easier starting, crisper throttle response, no more plug wires/boots to corrode or replace. Never so much as a hiccup even in torrential rain.

To me it's kind of a no-brainer. For the same price, or less, of a new set of wires, you can get COPs that will last virtually forever, and perform better. COPs have replaced wires in new machines almost universally for a reason.

Anyway, why do you want an 8mm? It'll just be kind of a hassle to shove in the coil, and gives zero benefits over the proper 7mm size.

Don't buy into any claims that wires will "upgrade" your performance. The best they can do is restore performance lost by the old wires, in which case any new wire would seem to be an "upgrade". The claims about fatter wires, spiral conductors, and "capacitor" wires have been debunked time after time as, at best, equivalent to OEM, and usually, worse.

easy upgrade to COPS on my 85 and after you remove the 4 OEM coils , there is lots of extra space by the battery box and up front by the CDI unit , not to mention 4 coils and wires probably weigh 10 lbs at least .....your original problem could be from a cracked coil !! mine was

Cujo51

I might as well add my two cents LOL not trying to sway you one way or another. For the few that have gone with the soldering iron trick and splicing and dicing. I will tell you up front! DO NOT do this without a resistor inline if your bike is an 85'. This more than likely will cause your CDI to fail. This Mod is not a good idea if you do not go about it the correct way. Many have done this with success yet many have had failure too. The failures have only helped get the Mod to its stage that it is now. Also if you are running a Dyna ignition set up DO NOT! do this unless you are going to run a resistor inline with the cops. With that being said you choose what route you want to go! All of us here will give our two cents to you. If you want a coil conversion harness set up I can supply them for you along with the cops. Ask what people think of the harnesses VS the wires

Gannon

Have not put mine on yet, but the quality is superb! and Im a fussy SOB

Yes I am running the Dyna Ignition........I'm gonna just keep it simple and put the new OEM wires on.....I just had the Taylors also sitting around.

May have to look at the COPS as a future mod.

Thanks,
Chris

Back