Stainless heat discoloration...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
are there any over the counter 'polishes/cleaners' out there, that will remove the light copper-colored discoloration caused by heat on stainless pipes?

Or any other way to do it?

Thanks,

Philthy

Best choice is Purple Metal Polish from www.californiacustom.com.

Next best I've tried is Honda Metal Polish. Most motorcycle stores have it as well as Honda dealers.

Is this the stuff I just read here about a few days ago that a few members had very good results with? When polishing their polished aluminum. I would like to ge some of this

Unclephilthy,
i did just polish all the blue off my chrome on my Kerker headers. Just used a buffer, bench mounted, and the compound. Took the blue right off

are there any over the counter 'polishes/cleaners' out there, that will remove the light copper-colored discoloration caused by heat on stainless pipes?

Or any other way to do it?

Thanks,

Philthy

That's funny! The gold color stainless exhaust turns is one of my favorite things about it!

Is this the stuff I just read here about a few days ago that a few members had very good results with? When polishing their polished aluminum. I would like to ge some of this

Yep, it works well on clearcoat too.

Thanks again guys...

Will look into the purple stuff...Not the first time I'd heard about it...Tried a while back to find some locally but no luck... But I LIKE UPS deliveries...it's a 'Captain Midnight Decoder Ring' complex thing... (you young guns will never get that one!)...

Point taken by the folks that like the 'color'... I just wondered, that IF I were to buy a preowned set, could they be brought back to 'as new' cosmetic condition before I put 'em on... Then I could discolor them again myself!

I remember many times buying new aftermkt chrome pipes for my HD's, (shotguns n' fishtails forever!) and always having to deal with the 'blueing problems'... after a while, I just came to accept it...

Best to all...

Philthy

I like the golden color also but sometimes road grime and other crap discolors the stainless where it looks horrible.

i've brought them back a bunch of times to like new condition, the best I've found is the set of "clay" bars of metal polish from sears, the red/brown will "cut" the surface and you work your way up to the white polish to finish.

I use a sisal/cotton/cloth wheel chucked up in a drill motor.....

I was told that if the stainless steel changes to that golden colour is that it was a result of over polishing and that , that colour is what is coming up from under the stainless:punk:

Stainless, turns gold because of heat ,..I work with this metal frequently.
Grinding, buffing, and plasma heat will change its colour,...I think it looks sweet.
Purple blue is a no no tho,...not good,..bad karma.

Latest posts

Back