Star Vmax Site - Biased?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, just a quick question for them (I know some of you are members to both sites). Of course I am on someones "shit list" since I am banned (I think for making comments about another product I saw). As most of you know I like to give my opinions on everything whether it's good or bad. I'll also point out the competitions products and my review of them (good or bad). Sometimes I lose a sale but gain a customer for other stuff in the future.

Anyway,
Looks like a review of a handlebar product by a happy customer, was taken down by the moderators over there. Seems like it's ok to post reviews of other peoples products but not one of mine?

Last thing i was told happened before it was deleted, was that a comment by a mod was made that said I had turned down the "site sponsor" offer and they were going to lock the thread. This is true. I sell so little gen 2 products that there is no way I can cost justify the excessive charges they want over there.

Plus, I think they must have the idea that every post I make is trying to sell my stuff? Not sure where they got that from other then my signature which I was warned about and mods changed for me (and told me after the fact). Nevermind that I have a ton of knowledge that could help them with some of their issues (even though I don't have a ton of experience on the gen 2).

Their site doesn't exactly have a lot of members but it's still a good site for the gen 2 crowd. Probably only a dozen or so "actively" participating members. Not getting recognition over there isn't going to cause me to go under or commit hara-kari but it does seem a bit hypocritical of them (the moderators).

Anyway, thought I would post up yet another reason why I like this forum so much. We are all free to post comments with little or no moderation.

Sean

Well, just a quick question for them (I know some of you are members to both sites). Of course I am on someones "shit list" since I am banned (I think for making comments about another product I saw). As most of you know I like to give my opinions on everything whether it's good or bad. I'll also point out the competitions products and my review of them (good or bad). Sometimes I lose a sale but gain a customer for other stuff in the future.

Anyway,
Looks like a review of a handlebar product by a happy customer, was taken down by the moderators over there. Seems like it's ok to post reviews of other peoples products but not one of mine?

Last thing i was told happened before it was deleted, was that a comment by a mod was made that said I had turned down the "site sponsor" offer and they were going to lock the thread. This is true. I sell so little gen 2 products that there is no way I can cost justify the excessive charges they want over there.

Plus, I think they must have the idea that every post I make is trying to sell my stuff? Not sure where they got that from other then my signature which I was warned about and mods changed for me (and told me after the fact). Nevermind that I have a ton of knowledge that could help them with some of their issues (even though I don't have a ton of experience on the gen 2).

Their site doesn't exactly have a lot of members but it's still a good site for the gen 2 crowd. Probably only a dozen or so "actively" participating members. Not getting recognition over there isn't going to cause me to go under or commit hara-kari but it does seem a bit hypocritical of them (the moderators).

Anyway, thought I would post up yet another reason why I like this forum so much. We are all free to post comments with little or no moderation.

Sean
Sean, we are all very happy to keep your vast knowledge all to ourselves :biglaugh:. Not sure what their deal is since I've never been on their site. All I can tell you is that your advise has saved a shit ton of time and effort for me personally and that is greatly appreciated. Anyone who refuses free advise especially from someone who knows their stuff very well is just plain nuts.

One thing I enjoy about this site, and is a big part of the reason I started posting is that there is no such childish BS going on here.

Not a place I go to anymore anyway. Now all the more reason. Everything I need is here.
biglaugh.gif

Steve-o

Hmmm. I saw that topic on there, but didn't read it before it was removed. I see people talk about UFO stuff over there & over here. Isn't John banned over there also. WTF:ummm:

Sean thats a compliment to you I believe. They are threatened by you. Like someone else stated I like having you all to ourselves ;) if the people on that site need you I'm sure thye will come here to the best forum on the web. You have helped me a ton with knowledge about my bike and I am in the process of buying some of your products now. Don't let them assholes bother you. We all know how you are and we all appreciate you over here. So it's a big loss to them.
It sounds like that site won't last to much if they keep sensoring everything that posted.

Yup, after a bit of google searching and cached views I found the post
...just search for "site:www.starvmax.com carbon fiber handlebar moderator"

Guys I am very sorry but I had to edit your posts. Sean was asked last year to become a site supporter and he blatantly refused. He did not see value in supporting this site. If he changes his mind he is more than welcome to reconsider and have his products openly advertised. Ill leave this topic up for the rest of today but come tomorrow I need to park it.

and here Sean's "blatant refusal"
I did get the message. Need to figure out what I am going to do. Not sure that I can budget the amount right now to be a site "vendor". Most of what I do is not trying to make a sale on the forums so that leaves me a bit torn on the situation. I'd like to help but not have to pay to do so.

PS: If there's a chance this post will annoy people, feel free to modify/remove it

Pffft... There loss far as im concerned. But as far as i am concerned... If i were a member there and wanted to post my opinion about a product i bought i would consider what they just did censorship. If they wanna ban sean thats one thing... But telling me what i can and cant post is censorship plain and simple. Our forefathers died so that i can speak my mind... And there still are people today dieing for my right of speech. Shame on them.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Sean, you're a class act on this board, whether or not I need a set of bars for a GenII. lol

Their loss is our gain - the less time you spend browsing Star, the more you may spend fixing peoples' problems here.

....just my two cents....

Absolutely - their loss our gain. Advice from Sean is always solid and unbiased, what more do you want?

Brilliant detective work btw JPC - it's almost worth re-printing that on the StarMax site for shits and giggles and all there to see..

I signed up to Star Vmax right from the first days they opened shop. VMOA was better than that site and VMF better than them. Seemed like a group of Gen2 elitests so I just stopped going there. Seeing what goes on there makes me question who runs or hosts the site. Buster can look for my next donation as a forum supporter.

Sean, I don't go over there anymore either.
+1, I quit going there when the Cornell drama/banning was going on. I don't have a Gen2 so trying to filter out the crap when all I wanted to find out about the bike justt wasn't worth it anymore. Time here is time well spent learning more each day about a awesome motorcycle that I do own!

I signed up to Star Vmax right from the first days they opened shop. VMOA was better than that site and VMF better than them. Seemed like a group of Gen2 elitests so I just stopped going there. Seeing what goes on there makes me question who runs or hosts the site. Buster can look for my next donation as a forum supporter.

+1

I still stop in there every so often to read on "universal" type things that can be done for both bikes, and put in suggestions on options. I've been a member since Jan '08 and only have 57 posts. I guess I'm not that active over there. LOL I joined up there, VMOA and here a couple of months after I got my Vmax delivered in the end of '07, the writing on the wall then was, it's heading towards a Gen II site. They have some good people there, and some who's mantra is, "you can't afford one, that's why you don't want one". I have to admit, I never thought I would hear a RUB comment from a Vmax rider. There is also a couple that stir the shit pot here then go over there to say that we're bagging on them, but that's the norm on a lot of forums, I've seen a ton of it on the sportbike forums.

I just take it with a grain of salt. Life is too short to get suckered in to some people's bullshit. I try not to judge forums and groups as a whole (I fail at this sometimes) but I try not to let the actions/words of some speak for all. :biglaugh:

Every forum has it's own vibe.

[] The enthusiasts platform: Some forums (the better ones IMHO) are run by enthusiasts and usually request reasonable sponsor fees for those selling a decent volume of product, but otherwise are pretty low-key about posts and discussions about products, etc.

[] The capitalist model: Then you get some that are run for profit. These tend to be really restrictive on what can be discussed about products as everything is considered a commercial rather than just typical forum banter. I avoid these ... and I don't even sell stuff (other than the random spare part).

[] The Dictator's playground: Then you get some forums that are run by crazed lunatics drunk with power. These are also restrictive about what can be discussed, but not due to financial motivations, but rather, to ensure that everybody is "singing the right tune," and that nobody dare have an opinion which is not in alignment with the forum moderator(s). I avoid these too.

[] The Ghost Town: Then you get the forums which look promising, but as you dig deeper, there is not an active and vibrant community. If you post a question, you get a reply 17 months later, out of the blue. If you post in the "welcome" thread, nobody notices. While not bad, these are suffering from the down side of the "network" effect. Because there are too few members, there is lesser value, and because there is lesser value, there are too few members.

Ok, rant over.

SEAN: I would wear your banned status as a badge of honor :^)

Got on StarMax when they first appeared. I Posted that U could buy 2 low mile 07's for less then a new 2nd Jen. They took my post down, but I forgave them. Haven't been there for some time now.:sleep 2:

Better a good few rather than a lot bad... Eventhough our "relations" are mostly virtual, the attitude going on this forum makes me endure the arguments with the wife every evening when she wants my attention over the VMF... LOL... Sean... For what i've noticed so far here on VMF we are more concerned on helping each other rather than trying to get amicable just to sell parts and services. And for me i value all the chatting and troubleshooting more than being able to get some parts here and there... I couldn't care less about that. I had my arguments in the past also but were able to be easily resolved and i love this forum. Im registered on about another 10 bike forums or so and i pass 95% of my time on this one. I registered on starvmax forum a while back and i think i just presented myself and that was it. I have nothing against them whatsoever but the "ambiance" is not the same.

I LOVE YOU GUYS... LOL...

I joined the starmax site just before I got my Gen II, used this as my avatar,within 24 hours It was removed and I recieved a pm from a Moderator asking me to remove my website from my profile (why do they ask for it:ummm:)
I did NOT ONCE try to sell or advertise anything. I was simply letting them know that I had the intention of designing a gen II seat and was looking for feedback. I wanted to use this for my avatar so that they would know I was for real and not just blowing smoke. I was also informed that for more the $800 I could become a vender:rofl_200:. I did /do the maxgasser to feed the monkey and make fellow maxers more comfy, there is NO WAY I will spend that kind of money to try to HELP fellow maxers. I do go to the starmax site everyday and there is a wealth of info there that you just cant get here:bang head:.

And in all fairness I have found some really good guys overthere including the moderator that removed my avatar(in fact he sold me a cat at a VERY FAIR price, I guess he was just enforcing the rules)

I will continue to frequent the starmax site( as long as they allow me :worthy:) but When I have a Gen II product available,( I d like to offer a Gen II seat shave /cut down service,( before and after pics below) but I cant do it there) they can come here to get it ,OR.....not.

Thats my two cents worth, hope I still have access over there Id really like to get to know them better, and let them get to know me.

Attachments

• maxgasser two.jpg
    maxgasser two.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 23
  • Resampled_2012-01-29_09-02-57_806 gii s.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-29_09-02-57_806 gii s.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Resampled_2012-01-29_09-08-38_686.jpg
    Resampled_2012-01-29_09-08-38_686.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 33
Every forum has it's own vibe.

[] The enthusiasts platform: Some forums (the better ones IMHO) are run by enthusiasts and usually request reasonable sponsor fees for those selling a decent volume of product, but otherwise are pretty low-key about posts and discussions about products, etc.

[] The capitalist model: Then you get some that are run for profit. These tend to be really restrictive on what can be discussed about products as everything is considered a commercial rather than just typical forum banter. I avoid these ... and I don't even sell stuff (other than the random spare part).

[] The Dictator's playground: Then you get some forums that are run by crazed lunatics drunk with power. These are also restrictive about what can be discussed, but not due to financial motivations, but rather, to ensure that everybody is "singing the right tune," and that nobody dare have an opinion which is not in alignment with the forum moderator(s). I avoid these too.

[] The Ghost Town: Then you get the forums which look promising, but as you dig deeper, there is not an active and vibrant community. If you post a question, you get a reply 17 months later, out of the blue. If you post in the "welcome" thread, nobody notices. While not bad, these are suffering from the down side of the "network" effect. Because there are too few members, there is lesser value, and because there is lesser value, there are too few members.

Ok, rant over.

SEAN: I would wear your banned status as a badge of honor :^)
I have joined a few myself and found about the same thing and I ended up here and enjoy the information pool that is here, there is always someone on. I have nothing but praise for Sean, Bill and others here.

Latest posts

Back