Started tearing down my carbs....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I got it out and pushed in the new seat. No screen, though, because I didn't order the replacement yet. Here's a pic of what looks to be a difference in depth between the original and replacement seats....

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/agrpnXM8OkreTDks6ER89tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

And here's a pic of the old seat.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eUTyZZ6u78QgXocfji9-V9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

It's pretty beat up, but didn't actually look that dirty. The plug did have a bunch of gunk on it when it came out, though. Nothing flaky, just like little green/white mud. All the inlet tubes freely flow clear carb cleaner when I spray in them. So what I'm wondering is... Do I HAVE to drill out the other ones and use the replacement seats that came with my rebuild kits, or do you guys thing I can leave the originals in there. I know there's a "should" factor here, and it's not like the bike is going anywhere with the carbs still in a million pieces. I'm just wondering if I could have actually left all of them intact and run it like that. I haven't ordered the replacement plug(s) and screen(s) yet, so I'm going to defer to the judgement of the board on this one. Now that I have an idea of what it takes to get them out, I'm willing to go after the other ones if I have to.

I'd replace them but it's really your call, you're the man 'on the ground.' Be very careful when you press the new plugs in, it's very easy to crack the carb bodies.

As for the different depth, did you get OEM seats or aftermarket? Compare the new beside the old for a difference.

I got aftermarket ones that came with the rebuild kit. It seems that it's more important/easier to deal with if they are at least all the same. I'll probably just pull the others and drop in the ones I have. Unless the k&l kit is trash?....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I got aftermarket ones that came with the rebuild kit. It seems that it's more important/easier to deal with if they are at least all the same. I'll probably just pull the others and drop in the ones I have. Unless the k&l kit is trash?....

I ran into some undersized seats once....can you push the seat back out easily or is it pretty firm.

I have not had much luck with aftermarket carb kits (at least the brass anyway).

Sean

It takes some effort to push it out but nothing like that oem one. I guess I'll use the rubber from the kit and order new brass.

Sean, do you have all that stuff handy or should I just order from Ron Ayers?

I have the "normal" parts on hand usually (short of the rubber plugs for a week or so). The brass rarely needs replaced so that I could get you used if you didn't like yours or it was already replaced with aftermarket. See the pics of the issues in my carb section of the Morleys Muscle facebook.

Ayers will be cheaper then I am though.

Sean

Back