starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshn569

Reaction score
hello, just picked up an 85. Been sitting for many years. Got it started today, but I found that the starter is constantly is running. As soon as the kill switch is in run position the starter turns over. Just wondering if there is a starter relay somewhere ? bad solenoid maybe?

Also, will these things run without the airbox installed? I could just barley get it to rev up today. ( The airbox was half a$$ installed )

It happen to me something similar,
Your starter swich is a mechanical device who`s getting old`n`dirty
The plastic button maybe return at his original position, but the contact stays on,
Easy repair
open right hand handle, clean`n`lub everything (little soft scotch bright on cantact)
BEWARE TO LITTLE SPRING HOLD`N`HIDE IN PLACE BY DUST under copper contact
See if your trouble is in there, if not; you have a nice handle starter switch to folow trouble shooting
if yes
Wyle beeing there, the left handle maybe on it`s way for futur problem

good troubleshooting:punk:

it will run like crap....with the airbox off....

it may be that the starter button is stuck...or yes it could be the realy..its round near the battery.

you can take apart the right hand controls and clean up the contacts n stuff ...there is also a little spring in there that likes to get buggered on older bikes.

id check the relay 1st if it was me. keep us posted well get ya going.:punk:

lotsa smart folks here....smarter than me:rofl_200:

Back