Starting issues.. Maybe Flooded?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamLentz

Reaction score
Last week, I moved to a new city for a new job, and left my bike in the old garage for about a week, untouched, not started at all. Last week Friday, I brought a trailer to load her up and she started up on the first try, running great. The next day, I went for a ride, and she fired right up. About 7 minutes into the ride, I was at a stop sign and she died. 20 minutes later, and she started again, but boggy. I could smell excess fuel, like she was flooded. Another 10 minutes of riding and she was back to normal. I came out on Sunday to go for a ride, and she wouldn't start Plenty of battery, full tank of fuel, plenty of turn over power, but she didn't want to go. Same thing Monday, except I got a few seconds of run time, then she died. I finally called Sean on Tuesday and he said to change the spark plugs and tap on the carbs to maybe loosen them up if I got it running. Wednesday, I finally got her started and I went for about an hour and a half ride around town and down some highway roads. I got home, and she fired up again. I tried it a few more times to make sure. Thursday, I came out to ride to work, and she fired right up, but after work, she wouldn't start, and I had to do the push of shame. I changed the plugs and she still wouldn't start.

Any suggestions?

I've been working with Sean, and we've tried a few things. Anyone else have any suggestions?

When it won't start, do you have gas in all four carbs, or maybe the fuel pump is going south on you? Does it click when the key is first turned on, and stops clicking because the carbs are full and top pressure is reached, rather than stop clicking due to timing out before pressuring up?

With the help of Sean, we figured it out. It wasn't even a carb issue! Stator coil pick up. Replaced and she finally runs. Now I need to sync my carbs, but all is good.

Thanks again Mr. Morley!

Back