steering dampener fixes head wobble?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
i tighten my head lock bolt yesterday and I was thinking perhaps a steering dampener would help the head wobble.

are they worth it?

i noticed when i go over drawbridges i get a decent amount of headshake. i didn't have this problem with my fz1 or shadow. I noticed if i run my bike hard up to 90mph then close the throttle the front gets a tad bit loose. A friend of mine recommended a steering dampener.

thanks,
sid

i tighten my head lock bolt yesterday and I was thinking perhaps a steering dampener would help the head wobble.

are they worth it?

i noticed when i go over drawbridges i get a decent amount of headshake. i didn't have this problem with my fz1 or shadow. I noticed if i run my bike hard up to 90mph then close the throttle the front gets a tad bit loose. A friend of mine recommended a steering dampener.

thanks,
sid

It's a band-aid for a larger problem IMO.

I set my bearings several years ago and haven't felt it since.

Chris

mine were real loose yesterday. I couldn't believe how easy it was to move, but then i tighten it down but it still bounces a tad. i was scared of tightening it down too much that it might cause bearing failure so i stopped. I went across the draw bridge yesterday and still had the wobbling but not as bad.

4k on the bike. 120 shinko in the front and 170 in the back.

thanks,
sid

4K is pretty low for there to be any problems with the head bearings....or any other bearings for that matter. (wheel or swingarm)

Based on my experience with my '06 I might guess the Shinko 120 is the issue. I switched to a Metz Lasertec and the severe wobble I had is 95% gone.

No guarantee, of course, but think it would be worth checking out.

yea i run the 120 as well and see similar issues. can you see visible runout at above 40 mph say?

Also, one thing about the high speed wobble: the tighter your grip on the bars the worse it gets.

I've noticed over the last couple of days, if I hold on to the bars 'normally', meaning tighter the faster you go, around 115-120mph I can feel the wobble wanting to start.
If I relax my grip on the bars, it does not happen. Weird huh? Works for me though..

i only had stock tires on the bike for a week so i can't really compare/remember. i don't grip it that tight at all but i also haven't tried 120 mph either ;) i just notice the head gets light when i let off after a hard pull up to 80-90mph. i tightened the head bolts and it helped some but like i said, i read that u can cause bearing failure if u over tighten.

IMO premature head bearing failure is much cheaper to repair than the potential cost of a full blown tank slapper. And sometimes, stuff damaged in one of those can't ever be repaired - at any cost.

just saying :biglaugh:

If getting the head bearings tightened to the proper torque setting is difficult or impossible it is time to take a closer look at them.
Taking the time now to get it right, whether you need new bearings or just lubed properly, could save you a whole lot of pain and/or further damage to your bike.
There is plenty of information here about checking, adjusting and replacing the bearings. Grab your mechanic buddies, buy them some pizza/ beverages and get it done.

Latest posts

Back