Stock Megaphone Removal Nightmare???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
Recently obtained the Morley HD Oiling kit. Must remove exhaust system to install. Assume everybody knows this.

Went to right side of bike and put the proper socket on the big nut that screws into the nut behind the flange on top of the megaphone right behind the passenger peg mount.

Hard to break loose. Suddenly noticed it was turning freely but not backing out.

Moved to left side and easily removed bolt...perfect condition.

Conclusion: right side bolt stripped.

Returned to right side and continued to unscrew bolt while holding finger on back of large nut that is apparently tack welded to megaphone flange. Felt bolt turning but not backing out.

HORROR SET IN.

Looks like only way to remove bolt is to remove rear wheel so I can get a shot at end of bolt with a long punch-like device or long hard screwdriver and punch it out. May have to put an air wrench on it and oil it, then spin it fast to make sure it is completely stripped before this works.

Then obtain a new bolt, obtain a new nut like the one tack welded onto the back and take megaphone to machine shop and have old bolt carefully removed and new bolt tack welded exactly where old one was.

OR HORROR 2: have a welder cut the damn thing off and then replace the megaphone ($750 I think) the rear passenger peg mount and anything else damaged

guess I could saw it off with multiple hacksaw blades and avoid heat.

Please tell me I'm making this a lot more complex than it needs to be.

(Note: recently rode 1998 w Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust. Bike ran like shit until 4000 rpm then stalled constantly and failed spectacularly to VBoost. No low end at all...WILL NEVER GIVE UP STOCK EXHAUSTS. Gets 20 mgp. My bike needs no throttle to start out at idle in 1st gear. that bike died unless tach read 3000 or greater. )

suggestions appreciated except get aftermarket exhausts.

Could you lock onto the bolt head with vice grips and pull out as you unscrew?

You BASTARD. How dare you suggest something sensible and inexpensive.

What would I do without you?

Worst case scenario: pull the wheel, cut the nut off with a dremel, buy a new nut and bolt. No need to weld the nut on.

Sounds like the bike with the kerker needs a little tuning help.

Hopefully you have a pair of snap ring pliers with a 90 degree tip. You'll need that to replace the gear that drives the oil pump (if you are installing the entire HD oiling kit). Its in a shitty spot if your working off the garage floor.

Yes, I do have snap ring pliers. yes it does need a shit load of tuning. yes I'm working on the garage floor.

But now I've discovered that if I remove the two bolts that hold the passenger peg on I can still remove the entire megaphone and haul it off to the machine shop and get it repaired correctly as soon as I get a new nut and bolt.

God I hate this bike.

Something that may help you on the 'return-trip.' Sorry, no pics.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=23592&highlight=exhaust+replacement

Whoever owns that Kerker bike never had it tuned, evidently. My UFO 4/1 & Stage 7 bike runs fine, idles fine, and as long as you don't whack-fully-open the throttle in too-high a gear at too-low revs, will pull from down-low, but 4/1's are about the upper rev range moreso-than low or midrange. Low-mid-range benefits from smaller exhaust passages, but doesn't benefit the top-end, usually. And of-course, the intake and exhaust need to complement each other.

You can get an honest 10%+ more horsepower without going deaf, if you choose your intake and exhaust replacements correctly, and have them tuned. There probably are more on-here who have, than haven't, it seems, from reading the frequent posters. A badly-done setup will be a dangerous, waste of time and $$ though, so there's nothing bad or wrong w/running a stock system.

If you look at my avatar and know anything about religious history, you will recognize that I am a Jesuit (that's Catholic Heavy and Incoming) We love love/hate relationships. They make us suffer a lot. We love to suffer. I am never getting rid of this bike. It makes me suffer constantly. It is a Gift from God.

If you look at my avatar and know anything about religious history, you will recognize that I am a Jesuit (that's Catholic Heavy and Incoming) We love love/hate relationships. They make us suffer a lot. We love to suffer. I am never getting rid of this bike. It makes me suffer constantly. It is a Gift from God.

Thats why i like you..lol...this sounds like another conversation over chinese food..

Pay your Penance son and perhaps you'll go to Pergatory. Ten Our Fathers and 20 Hail Mary's for you.
I graduated from University of Dayton but that probably des not mean a thing to you.
Yeah you are making this more agrravating than it really is. In the end, you'll be pulling your rear wheel just to clean things real well.
Be patient my Child, now go in peace.

Pax vobiscum

Et cum spiritu tuo

There is a certain satisfaction to whipping the demons in your ride. When you get to the point where you can use it safely and reliably, you will know peace, and possibly a significantly-depleted wallet. If that is a possibility which is daunting to you, then choose another bike. I've probably spent the purchase price over-again, just getting it back to be able to use without fearing being stranded. Hey, it's twenty-two years-old. I am not a long-distance traveler on a bike, it isn't my thing. When I am on my bike though, my spirit soars, and I pray that my safe return home happens. So-far, it has. That's peace.

Fire-Medic's Kung Fu is powerful and he is wise but I am foolish and in love.

Latest posts

Back