Stock or up-graded

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXROVER

Reaction score
I am the relatively new owner of a 2000 Max with 36000 miles. The previous owner had done some mods such as, boost control switch, drag bars (switched back to original) and reset, reverse shift linkage (also returned to original).
I would like to do some front fork upgrades like Race Tech or Progressive springs, lowering blocks emulators (?) but I don?t want to spend dollars re-dong something that has already been upgraded.
Is there any way to identify the stock parts as opposed to upgraded units?
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum. Your print will work better if you switch to white... It's black on dark gray for me... I highlighted it so I could read it. I got bitched out just a week ago for using a light blue..:rofl_200:

You should find someone who has ridden a stock bike and one that's modified. They should be able to tell you in a very short ride if your front end has been modded. Stock really sucks... It's an ancient design that was only fair in 1985. Even when the tube size was upgraded, not much better... Springs, Emulators, new fluid and lowering bring the handling to life...

Looking, You can tell what the emulators are but you might come up short of answers as to the rest...

Ride it over different types of bumps , rises , cracks in the pavement , etc. If those bumps scare you , it's stock .

one way, if you're up to it, is to pop open a stanchion. if the preload spacer is metal, more than likely it's stock. if the spacer is pvc, then more then likely it's been modded.

one way, if you're up to it, is to pop open a stanchion. if the preload spacer is metal, more than likely it's stock. if the spacer is pvc, then more then likely it's been modded.

I re-used the stock steel preload spacers when I switched to progressives and intiminators.

I re-used the stock steel preload spacers when I switched to progressives and intiminators.

How did you manage that when you need to cut additional room to allocate for the 5/8" intimidators? I too have the same setup, but I cut down the PVC to spec and all is fine. I would suspect your setup is perhaps too firm.

How did you manage that when you need to cut additional room to allocate for the 5/8" intimidators? I too have the same setup, but I cut down the PVC to spec and all is fine. I would suspect your setup is perhaps too firm.

I cut the stock preload spacers as required on a bandsaw here at work. I ended up with the spacer sticking up 5/8" above the top of the fork tube IIRC. Figured why not use the OEM spacers if I could instead of ditching them for the PVC ones?

i guess i could go measure the stock spacers, and modify my statement to say that if the metal spacer is less than "so so" inches, yada yada yada. hehehe

anyways is there any other way aside from tearing the forks apart to determine whether or not stock? also other than Racetech and Progressive springs would there be another make of spring that someone would've used. 'cause we could easily describe the physical differences of these two as a comparison against stock. emulators are easy to detect.

With 36000 miles the stock spring should be shot, you would have at least a 2 inch sag with no air...and mushy/lots of travel when pushing up/down with the front brake on.

-If your running no air and the suspensions firm your good...you'll know fer sure.
-If mushy time for a change.

Remember to let all the air out before you check.

Those springs go after 2500 miles.

Thanks for the feedback. I am currently running 10PSI and the forks feel a little mushy at that pressure. I will bleed off the air and check the action. I suspect at this point I’m dealing with the stock set and will need to do the upgrade. Anyone have a strong preference on a complete package for best handling?

Anyone have a strong preference on a complete package for best handling?

i believe most of the folks will tell you Progressive Suspension's progressive rate springs which I advise to do at a minimum. If you go with PS then no air is required.

A step up from there would be emulators (Racetech or Intimadators). If you go with emulators some will say go with Racetech's springs instead of PS. Some (including myself) have tried PS' progressive rates with Racetech emulator.

Most will tell you to go with 15W oil. I have 10W personally, but am thinking about going to 15W. Some have even gone to 20W.

Some have lowered the front end by raising the forks in the trees 1", 1.5", 2". I've done that with happy results, but when changing out the springs elected to lower internally while I was in there.

What it boils down to is personal comfort and preference.

Good luck and ask questions. Also read the Suspension section of the forum. LOTS of good stuff there.

Latest posts

Back