Stripped!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX NV

Reaction score
Well, if it's not one thing it's another.

Finally got my forks rebuilt, and was bolting on aftermarket fork brace.

P.O. had STANDARD bolts in 3/4 of holes. I bought the correct metric bolts, but one of the holes seems stripped out. Bolt doesn't spin easily, but won't tighten up either.

What are my options besides a new lower folk leg?
Red threadlock? A larger bolt? Helicoil? And if I have to drill it, will I have to take the fork apart AGAIN to get a straight shot in the hole!?

Just thought of a washer and bolt, but don't think there is room due to the fender, will have to check that..

Thanks.

ps I guess I could put the standard bolt back in, but I think I tossed it already...

You can helicoil it or try the standard bolt if it's been drilled/tapped out for the larger threads. Shouldn't need to take it all the way apart (though it is easier probably).

Sean

yea running the tap thru for either helicoil or next biggest size would be a pain with the upper right there.

10mm= .394, so the next standard size would be 7/16 or .437. That's a big jump in diameter. Can you go DEEPER with the correct 10mm tap and put a longer bolt in?

ok, what's the standard bolt a little bigger than metric 10x1.25? :)

10x1.25?

The OEM bolt is 8mm. Next size up in imperial would be 3/8" I'm not sure there is enough meat in there to drill/tap for a 10mm bolt let alone 7/16".

I would try to run a 8mm tap in there to see if you can clean up the threads enough to reuse them.

how much was your craftsman set? the 40 or 48 piece, just comparing prices here in canada?

i also found a gearwrench tap and die set which looks good, everything ratchets!

So I tapped it with a cheap tap set from Harbour Freight tools and put a longer bolt and a locking washer on the bottom as far as it would go. If it falls out and I live, I'll probably to the Time-sert thing.

Latest posts

Back