strippers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymax04

Reaction score
Had to put title to catch some attention. I just got a used sissybar for a real good price but it needs some work. I dont have my camera or I would gladly take some pics for everyone. Maybe later. anyway all the clear, seems like plastic cote is cracked and needs removed. Any suggestions? I have some carb cleaner that Im trying on an inconspicuous spot but it seems to be taking awhile (its old & dirty)

Aircraft stripper or bead blast. You can also use a soda blaster (baking soda) which will almost polish while it strips. OR - take it in and have it powdercoated OR - mail it in and we can chrome it ($150).

Sean

this coating is some thick stuff. Ive got some aircraft stripper coming. I had some but I think I left it in the back of the truck I sold:confused2: ........Is that the stuff in a white & light blue can with an airplane & maybe some other stuff on it??

I used that orange gel paint stripper that Home Depot and others sell. Just let it sit for a while and it peels right off. The gel sticks to the rack better than regular strippers.

Got the same problem with my backrest too. It's got a real thick clearcoat on it and I guess over time it started developing little spider cracks in it. I like Sean's suggestion to soda blast the clearcoat off and then just keep it polished. Might also just go back with the stock grab bar since the wife still won't get near the bike anyway. What's the cost of doing just the blasting, no chrome?

Last time I used aircraft stripper the paint I was trying to remove was 42 years old & it seemed to be dried every time I went back to it. We'll see how it works on this stuff.

I don't have a price on the soda blasting but you should be able to find someone locally that can do it. Probably be less then shipping to me and back.

Sean

well I got the clear off pretty easily now Ive got to figure out how to get the shine back into it even though Im not going for anything polished or chrome. I will have to do something cause it looks like crap

you have a Harbor Freight in the area? you know the green scotch brite pads?
they sell coarse,medium, and fine polishing balls of that stuff,works great in a drill press for bringing back the aluminum.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=grit+ball&Submit=Go
boy you hit it right on the head. Brushed is what I want & brushed is what I got! Its working like a dream on the parts that I can get to with that big axx ball so I will have to find somthing to fit in the little spots but its perfect so far. back at it I go

Back