Strugis

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Anyone heading this year?

I am planning on going with some buddies from Texas, not sure the ride hook up yet. They have a full itinerary setup.

Todd

(I'm guessing you meant "Sturgis") lol

Shala & I will be cruising that area on Sat, Sun, Mon and part of Tuesday this year. We'll be riding our Hondas though. 1st time we went, in 2007, I had my 85 there. Man was it fun, especially in Spearfish Canyon and also on the Devils' Tower rides. So many 1st Gen HD Vrods to choose from, and so little time to provoke them.... haha.

Our reservations are south of Custer State park in the small town of Hot Springs, SD this year. Closest place I could find willing to rent rooms by the day, rather than the areas' standard operation procedure to screw everyone into a full weeks' rent @ rally inflated prices, or some that require reservations through Wednesday of rally week. We're hightailing it back out of there Tuesday, midday, and heading southbound towards Estes Park, Colorado for the last part of the week, and then south again to ride the Million Dollar Hwy before returning back to Missouri.

Look for a pair of Runes, the red one most likely dragging an aluminum trailer!

I loved your Rune at Thunder!

I might be riding a CBR1000rr if things turn ugly and I have to fly to Texas, but most likely I ll be on the Sapphire ZX.

As time gets closer I ll get in touch maybe we can grab a brew.

Todd

I should find out as early as this Friday night if Gina & I will be going!! Fingers & toes crossed!!

I loved your Rune at Thunder!

I might be riding a CBR1000rr if things turn ugly and I have to fly to Texas, but most likely I ll be on the Sapphire ZX.

As time gets closer I ll get in touch maybe we can grab a brew.

Todd

You saw one, or both, of our Runes at Thunder? :ummm:

I'm guessing Shala must have pulled up some pics on her cell phone?:confused2:

Someone did have a runes at thunder that year. It is a cool bike but kinda ugly IMO. One of a kind for sure. Careful guy's we are getting off topic bringing thunder into a Strugis thread and the hijack police are going to get upset.

rday, 12:25 AM

My VMax: 1999 / Carbon Fiber
Default Re: V-Max vs. GSX-R 1000 Trash Talk :biglaugh:

Wife and I are planning to ride that area this year, but not during that time. We'll be going in early July, making a large loop from NorCal to include Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore then back, going far enough north to include Glacier Park.
It'll just be the 2 of us, and we have no desire to share the area with 100,000 Harleys with straight pipes and drunken riders.

Hi we did Sturgis in 2012 i was awesome , if you can go for 2 weeks a week early an do custer state park and all of the above as mentioned reason why is if you go during bike week it is so crowded and bike traffic spooks most of the animals back into the hills. We did iron mtn spearfish canyon mt rushmore and the badlands we stayed in the town of Wall for 2 days and did the badlands and make sure you find the town of Scenic its cool to see . We stayed the second week a the Chip was cool but very DUSTY i also rode to devils tower use to have a ride called Ham Jam on wednesday .

Wife and I will be at the Buffalo Chip August 2-9. Looking forward to take my 94 to Custer park and some of the other amazing rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am brand new to this forum and the Max but have35yrs in the saddle. I live 25 mi from Sturgis and feel compelled to warn anyone coming about the thriving tourist industry here. Throw in the HD Ralley with an expected turn out of up to 1.2 million (yes, Million) motorcyclists, a significant number of whom have no clue how to ride hills, or anywhere for that matter, and you will experience life changing frustration trying to weave through RVs and gaggles of novelty parade bikes often halving the speed limit. Rolling roadblock will have new meaning to you. The danger level is very high with all the noobs on way to much bike all trying to impress each other. A ralley half this size usually nets several fatalities and countless injury accidents. If you are coming please have a blast but be aware of what you are getting into and dont expect any empty country roads where you can glide thrrough the sweepers unabstructed. It just does not go that way, keep one eye in your rear view to avoid collecting drunks, keep an escape route at all times. I dont mean to sound grim but it is what it is. During ralley week I stay on my property outside town and my bikes stay covered up. I stock up on food and grill,hike and just relax. Sometimes I tour but im FAR away from here!

Please take my words with a grain of Na, I have a lifeling aversion to crowds and traffic. When I ride I love the roads here, they are amazing, most folks I know come fall or spring outside active tourist season. There is riding second to none! Simply amazing! All roads in the hills are pretty clear and the scattered remaining/local novelty bikes are easily passed.

Having said this, i would like to make myself available to hook up with other maxxers during the non-peak seasons. Maybe this fall or late summer, Im happy to compose some suggested amazing rides and possibly host for some grillin'. This really is a great place to have a ralley but timing is key to groups more concerned with riding than showing off. It would be cool to hear from others in the rural midwest or those that would enjoy the ride in. I had a look at the rider map and it would seem that im isolated. If you visit mid-summer just keep your expectations realistic and be extra vivilant.

Hey CaseyJones thanks for the heads up. Sending you a private message, if you're not used to this forum, just click on "private messages" in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks, Tony - Since you gave me permission, I'm posting the msg you sent me for others on the forum to peruse. Lots of good info for anyone planning to be in the area.

Custer is great, Wranglers there is good breakfast. Custer St park and deff hit the wildlife loop but be cautious of bison. They are mean, stupid fast and don”t care for folks getting close. Give them some space and you’re golden. When you see Mt Rushmore you can go to Keystone for some cool shops and some chainsaw artistry. Hill City is a great short ride from Keystone via old hill city road. Alpine inn in Hill City for excellent German food. From Custer to Hermosa is a great short ride and you will run right into Lintz bros pizza immediately before 79, also excellent.
Needles highway amazing but many hairpins and early in the year patchas of sand may remain from winter so be mindful of this on all roads in the area.
14a between Deadwood and Sturgis, Nemo road to Norris peak road, 85 and 385 interconnect many of these towns and they are fun scenic roads. 44/Rimrock into Rapid is awesome and I live off this scenic route. Hot springs is nice ride but a little further, great jaunt from Hermosa and many great country roads stem from that whole area, I’ll think of others too. Spearfish is a little bigger town and pretty nice. Virtually every store in the area has a pad with free black hills maps, grab a couple of those and I’ll share with you some of my fav rides. Reptile gardens is worthwhile as are the crystal caves or wind caves near Custer. 1880 train in Keystone is cool. You can head into Newcastle from Custer, nice ride with some open road and twisties. Many of the attractions are tourist traps but the above are a good start.

Most of my touring was in WY,MT, ID,I really avoid cities and populated areas. Sounds like you have Yellowstone/Tetons covered. There are so many great tiny towns and roads. Most of my touring was on my 00 Triumph Sprint ST and lots on my KLR. I lived in Seattle for 15 years and the North cascades rocks, other than that not much of it is worth fighting traffic for and that’s why I’m here again in SD, it really is a great place to ride, esp for guys like me that have no real tolerance for traffic. SD and WY have less ppl/sq mi than other states, which is very imp to me and the way I love to ride. You or any other members should feel free to contact me when in or headed to the area. Although during tourist season I do as little drive/ride as possible on the off seasons I’m out all the time.

Lemme see... OH! WATCH OUT FOR DEER! Esp after dark, speed limit is too fast in the dark. Never ride beyond your line of sight! I know you know this but here it is important r/t wildlife hanging out on the road and sand, trees etc. I’m typing this on my phone with stupid thumbs so feel free to clean up any errors if you feel compelled and cut/paste to the forum for others that might be interested.

I hope this helps, keep my # and let me know when you’re close. Be safe and I look forward to meeting you.

Tony

I know im forgetting some other great roads but there really arent many bad ways to go in the Black Hills. Rapid City traffic is unpleasant but doable. If you want good sushi or Mexican food thats about your only choice. A lot of restaurants in this area bask in mediocrity with some great notable exceptions.

The Wife and I are planning to go...

I have some kick ass SW route information to or from Sturgis that anyone rolling though AZ, UTAH, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana or Idaho might be interested in. PM me so with an email address so I can send full sized map attachments and various info.

*ALSO* for anybody planning to stay at Glencoe Campground, ... the Wife and I can only be there 4 or 5 of the 10 days that they require you to pay for. (flat rate for wristbands to come and go) If interested in sharing for the days we cannot use. (Aug 6th though end of rally) please contact us off line and we can work out the details

This reply doesn't pertain to Sturgis rally, but rather the area. The girlfriend and I were just there last weekend, and like you've read, it's gorgeous. The riding is second to none. The hills are beautiful, and the roads were in great condition. Make sure you ride the Needles and Iron Mountain Road. The first half of the IMR is redone in asphalt about a month ago. The whole trip was incredible. We wanted to tour the area and avoid the crowds, and that's exactly what we did, and it was a great trip.

Latest posts

Back