sucking air??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskyman510

Reaction score
Just got through fitting cops/ignitech unit/and a carb re-build.
After a couple of coughs when cold got it up to temp and adjusted idle speed and sync-ed carbs and engine sounds sweet.

as soon as I rise the revs up to approx 3-4rpm it has a very slight crackle and pop, seems to feel strong when I do a quick blip and rev it right up, but has what seems like a very slight miss.

My carb boots are original and am worried they may be letting in air, is there an easy way to check this out.

Its not back on the road yet maybe it just needs a good ride after sitting for 12 months?

Advice on what I should check for next?

Try spraying wd40 or carb cleaner on boots and joints, with applicator straw, while engine is idling. Any change in engine sound indicates a leak

Try spraying wd40 or carb cleaner on boots and joints, with applicator straw, while engine is idling. Any change in engine sound indicates a leak

Tried that last night, no change in engine noise at all, all appears like a good seal.

Whats the next thing I should check? seems to have happened between swapping ignition units, I have used dingys set up so I thought it would be all good.

Being just a small crackle and pop would this have anything to do with a/f screws,its been bugging me all day.
Everytime I get it running good something else seems to happen, this Max makes me happy and sad all at the same time :ummm:

From your description it sounds like you haven't ridden it on the road?

Motors do make some unusual noises when being reved without any load - anyone who has heard the flatsides rattle will know what I mean. They sound awful when stood by the bike but you are not aware of the noise when moving.

Suggest that you go for a ride and see what it feels like before chasing your arse over an something that isn't causing a problem.

From your description it sounds like you haven't ridden it on the road?

Motors do make some unusual noises when being reved without any load - anyone who has heard the flatsides rattle will know what I mean. They sound awful when stood by the bike but you are not aware of the noise when moving.

Suggest that you go for a ride and see what it feels like before chasing your arse over an something that isn't causing a problem.
:rocket bike: Yep your probably right

Back