Suggestions for ramair filters..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I would like to replace the one piece filter insert on these scoops with two separate inserts inside each opening. I dont feel the single insert I have will look as clean as the scoops will after chroming them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to, and who might fabricate some filter inserts for me? I don't want anything cluttering the front of the scoop. So it would need to be two separate inserts epoxied into each scoop opening. Easily removed with no chance of letting go into my running engine.

Maybe something as simple as rolling a 3/8" wide strip of 24 gauge stainless to the correct diameter. And tig weld some 1/4" x 1/4" S.S. screen on the back. Epoxy it in the opening, and then just cut a over sized foam element which would stay in place with friction and vacuum.
:confused2: Or just epoxy the screen into the scoops about 3/8" back? But I would not be able to reach inside with screen epoxied.:ummm:

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• vmaxairfilter 001.jpg
    vmaxairfilter 001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 35
  • vmaxairfilter 002.jpg
    vmaxairfilter 002.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 34
  • vmaxairfilter 003.jpg
    vmaxairfilter 003.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 31
  • vmaxairfilter 004.jpg
    vmaxairfilter 004.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 37
  • vmaxairfilter 005.jpg
    vmaxairfilter 005.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 38
  • vmaxlmax 003.jpg
    vmaxlmax 003.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 48
You might want to contact this gentleman that has put a ton of work building these scoops, I'm sure he'll have something for ya.
http://www.ramair4vmax.com/photo_gallery/photo_gallery3.htm

Yea Ricks a good guy. I bought these from him. But he's got nothing for me.

I think I got it figured out. I will trim off all the excess material from Ricks filter inserts separating them maybe. Then install a 1/8" rod right behind each filter and.... nah..
:biglaugh:

I have a pair of non ram Ramair scoops

I made the mesh cover shown below from the bottom lip of a Baked Bean tin which were then coved with mesh from a sieve.
They are ever so slightly larger than the orifices but that doesn't show when fitted.
I would have enlarged the openings but had already re-finished the scoops before starting on the covers.
The alternative would be to cut & shut the rim which I may try for the other side.

picture.php

I guess you could braze a couple of threaded spigots onto the rim to secure them in place?

Can you attach some metal mesh screen to the inside of the scoops just behind the opening with epoxy or something similar and then buy some filter foam in a sheet and cut it to fit the opening?

If you wanted you could cut some additonal pieces of screen out to put on the outside of the filter foam just for looks.

I have a pair of non ram Ramair scoops

I made the mesh cover shown below from the bottom lip of a Baked Bean tin which were then coved with mesh from a sieve.
They are ever so slightly larger than the orifices but that doesn't show when fitted.
I would have enlarged the openings but had already re-finished the scoops before starting on the covers.
The alternative would be to cut & shut the rim which I may try for the other side.

picture.php

I guess you could braze a couple of threaded spigots onto the rim to secure them in place?

Thanks. Do you have a pic?

Can you attach some metal mesh screen to the inside of the scoops just behind the opening with epoxy or something similar and then buy some filter foam in a sheet and cut it to fit the opening?

If you wanted you could cut some additonal pieces of screen out to put on the outside of the filter foam just for looks.

Yes thats the plan at the moment. But I dont like the fact I could not clean the inside of the scoop after the screen is epoxied in.

Yea Ricks a good guy. I bought these from him. But he's got nothing for me.

Tim should have something in the future.

Glad to see you went with the original designer, and maker. He spent quite amount of time in the ram air getting it worked out. :clapping:

Last edited:
Hi Reabar

Sorry no - can't give you a pic at the moment as the scoops are away being sign written.

The one I posted is of the finished article and I will let you have a pic of them installed when they are back with me.

Please don't hold your breath though as the paint-shop seems to work to a different time scale to the rest of the world....not the quickest, but the quality of work is excellent! :biglaugh:

Maybe, take a piece of PVC, sand a slight taper into it, paint it, epoxy the mesh on each side, sandwiching a foam filter.

Have the PVC a little bit on the tight side as far as matching with the opening of your scoops. That way this will "compression fit" this would allow for removal for cleaning.

just a quick thought.

I should never have under rated Ricks inserts. I need to trim them down into two individual inserts. And figure out a trick way to secure them. I also should add that I never personally expected any performance gains with this ramair. But if you didn't know better. I'd have you believing the mod added 50 hp. and 20 mph:biglaugh: Or should I say I'd have her believing that.. :rofl_200:

I have a general suggestion for RAM system for v-max...................leave it...........

Thanks Prez

Feel free to elaborate in depth

Back