Supertrapp end cap questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edharrison

Reaction score
I received my supertrapps today (used) - I am confused about the end caps, the pictures online show disks and a closed dish end cap as standard.

These have a first inner disk with a triangle plate tack weleded in with a small central hole about 10mm / then two normal disks / then an outer cap with about a 40mm hole in it - looks ugly, any ideas?

Thanks Ed

Directly from the SuperTrapp Website:
Slip-Ons include sixteen - 4” discs, a Closed End Cap and all necessary mounting hardware.
Optional Open End Caps for closed course competition are also available. Megaphone Series Slip-Ons and Systems have a rebuildable core and packing.

Yamaha V-Max as Straight Cut, Stainless Steel Slip-On or a Slash Cut, Black Slip-On.
Sixteen, 4” discs are included.

So you should have received all of the above items if you bought them new.
The end caps with the 1.5 Inch / 38 mm Hole are the Open End Caps Metioned on their Website as being for Performance Applications Only.
Closed End Cap vs. Open End Cap Video

Thanks - I bought them used, my only issue is as they are I am unsure how many disks will equal the stock settings as flow must be different now.

Ed

Most people with the OPEN End Caps recommend 0-2 Discs.
2 Discs plus Open End cap is approximately 8 Discs + Cloed End Cap.

I Personally like the Closed End Cap Look Better.
I have 8 Discs (Max Recommended for Stock Setup) + Closed Caps and Stock Jetted Carbs.

You can Order Additional discs and Closed End Caps directly from SuperTrapp or even make a new thread and see if anyone here has them for sale cheaper.

Thanks - sadly here in the UK no one supplies them, expensive to have shipped 3000 miles! The open caps on these look self made as the hole is not clean. I prefer the closed caps but maybe should not have assumed they would be on them.

Ed

These things are really small and pretty light, shipping to ol' Blighty shouldn't be very much at all from the US.

And, there are plenty of us here who'd be happy to take delivery and ship on at the right price if you need to!

Thanks - sadly here in the UK no one supplies them, expensive to have shipped 3000 miles! The open caps on these look self made as the hole is not clean. I prefer the closed caps but maybe should not have assumed they would be on them.

Ed

Check out Summit. They tend to be less expensive when it comes to endcaps and disks. I too like the closed look. So I was running between 10-12 disks when I had the Trapps.

p1020400.jpg

Ed

Those are probably the closed end caps drilled out....that's why they look like crap.
You just need to buy some disk and end caps......they come by pretty reasonable on eBay sometimes.

Thanks guys - a member of the vmaxchat forum here in the UK has found some spare standard caps so I should be sorted in a day or two!

Oh and KJShover - that swing arm in black and braced looks so cool...

Heres a pic of the supertrapps as supplied....confused me at first.

Ed

Attachments

• IMAG0327.jpg
    IMAG0327.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 35
See I beg to differ, I run open end caps with 2 discs. I tried the closed endcaps that KJ has shown from summit. They are decent, but I wanted louder and the sound to be behind me instead of around me. I've noticed that end caps give you carbon buildup residue on your bike too which I ended up using the guards. So, I've tried both myself here......my open comp end caps are chromed and I like the look/sound much better!

Attachments

• _DSC0317.jpg
    _DSC0317.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 27
  • _DSC0320.jpg
    _DSC0320.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 28
I will fit them today that way, two disks and open caps, is your jetting stock?

thanks Ed

You shouldn't need any jetting changes with slip-ons. It really makes about zero difference to the exhaust flow, just less weight and more noise.

If you were to get a full exhaust system, then the jet kit would would help / be required.

You shouldn't need any jetting changes with slip-ons. It really makes about zero difference to the exhaust flow, just less weight and more noise.

If you were to get a full exhaust system, then the jet kit would would help / be required.

This is correct, no jetting required. If anything, a smaller main jet 147.5 over stock 152) might suffice if its running rich, but mine is bone stock for now and runs really strong!

Latest posts

Back