Survey?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
Ok Guys I am wondering how many of you have wanted to have stainless socket or button head bolts where your engine mounts to the frame? :confused2:Those 10mm and 12mm fine thread bolts! Or even some for the calipers?

Gannon

I have many things on my mind with vmax stuff. I have some being machined here in the next week or so and then I will show you on those items :eek:) Now on the bolts, many of us who have looked have never found those bolts before, because they are not made... Well I am in the begining stages via email and phone talking to a bolt manufacturer that will make small qty's of these bolts. Small being less than 300. The first quote I think I fainted! now the second quote was better but not great! I have always wanted these bolts for my bike. I had my originals chromed and have never been happy with them. So I am basically taking a survey on who might be interested in something like these bolts. So I can see what might be a decent sized run of these, yet not be stuck with them all . I can tell you one thing, they won't be cheep. But what custom made parts are right?
oh and on the harnesses! I am waiting for some resistors and a few more emails from my connector supplier. They seem to be the worst!

Gannon

I have many things on my mind with vmax stuff. I have some being machined here in the next week or so and then I will show you on those items :eek:) Now on the bolts, many of us who have looked have never found those bolts before, because they are not made... Well I am in the begining stages via email and phone talking to a bolt manufacturer that will make small qty's of these bolts. Small being less than 300. The first quote I think I fainted! now the second quote was better but not great! I have always wanted these bolts for my bike. I had my originals chromed and have never been happy with them. So I am basically taking a survey on who might be interested in something like these bolts. So I can see what might be a decent sized run of these, yet not be stuck with them all . I can tell you one thing, they won't be cheep. But what custom made parts are right?
oh and on the harnesses! I am waiting for some resistors and a few more emails from my connector supplier. They seem to be the worst!

Gannon

Id buy them...

ok guys I am still in the middle of checking these out. I did find a company that would make button head steel, but then we would have to chrome them. I did find a company that would make them out of titanium they would be about $15 - $20 each. So I am sticking to finding a stainless button head. I hope to get them down around the $5 - $7 each.. Gannon

Another alternative is to CAD plate or Zinc plate the stock ones or chemical black (oxide).
Cheap, won't rust in a hurry and look pretty good. Chrome is a bad idea on HT bolts, the chrome can change the hardness properties and make them brittle.
The threads really need to be masked and it has a tendency to fall/peel off.

ok guys I am still in the middle of checking these out. I did find a company that would make button head steel, but then we would have to chrome them. I did find a company that would make them out of titanium they would be about $15 - $20 each. So I am sticking to finding a stainless button head. I hope to get them down around the $5 - $7 each.. Gannon

I would not recomend button head bolts as they like to strip the socket.
All button heads bolts use one size smaller wrench, for example M6 bolt supuse to use 5mm allen but its using 4mm allen.

I would not recomend button head bolts as they like to strip the socket.
All button heads bolts use one size smaller wrench, for example M6 bolt supuse to use 5mm allen but its using 4mm allen.

Satariel , Understand what you are saying about stripping the head with an allen wrench. I have only stipped allen bolts when they are a cheep low grade and not very hard. I won't buy any unless they are very good quality. I might try to look for another company on the titanium side again. I have ran across many that will do the exact same bolts ie. length , diameter, thread pitch with a different head on them. I found one that will do a torques head too. it takes hours of research to find the companies and when you do find them. It is like a whole bag of them.

Gannon

What are the size specs on these? Does'nt Pro-bolt have something that will work?
Davidon,
the problem is they are considered a fine thread, extra fine , and extra extra fine thread pitch. when going from the 8 mm to the 12 mm, all of the thread pitch is the same. which makes it impossible to find unlss you go with almost a standard head. I am not even sure if you can find the rear 12mm bolts in a standard head. My quest was to find a custom bolt for my motorcycle since day one. I wanted something that would match the theme of the bike already from the factory. I wanted allens. I know some of us has tried to change the engine bolts before with no luck. I will find someone to make them and then sell the rest.
Gannon

Satariel , Understand what you are saying about stripping the head with an allen wrench. I have only stipped allen bolts when they are a cheep low grade and not very hard. I won't buy any unless they are very good quality. I might try to look for another company on the titanium side again. I have ran across many that will do the exact same bolts ie. length , diameter, thread pitch with a different head on them. I found one that will do a torques head too. it takes hours of research to find the companies and when you do find them. It is like a whole bag of them.

Gannon

Ya I know that pain. Couldnt locate any shop with good quality stainless, fine thread pitch bolts,
I end with machining them myself.

I have about 90% of stainless bolts on my v-max. Not much more to have them all!

Back