Suspension

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So,

I may be able to have some extra cash. I was looking at suspensions and it is one thing that wasn't really high on my buy-list, but I was wondering, How much of a difference does it really make?

I know the front springs are a basic upgrade, for the back springs it seems like you have a few mid price ones around the $400 mark.

Then you have the hirer end shocks. Specifically The Penskes 8900E shocks that you can get at Morelys.

I had progressives front and rear on my vtx an traxxion front/penske rear on my fz1. Penske is worth the difference in price if you want to get the best handling out of your bike. It's just confidence inspiring, more comfortable, smoother,...everything. When I get the money, I'll run the same setup on the max as the fz1. I prefer the feel of a linear spring rate to the progressive rate. It feels more natural and can be damped better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I had progressives front and rear on my vtx an traxxion front/penske rear on my fz1. Penske is worth the difference in price if you want to get the best handling out of your bike. It's just confidence inspiring, more comfortable, smoother,...everything. When I get the money, I'll run the same setup on the max as the fz1. I prefer the feel of a linear spring rate to the progressive rate. It feels more natural and can be damped better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

See now this. All greek to me.

The VMax is my first bike, I bought it maybe year and a half two years and honestly, I have not ridden it nearly enough. A lot of down time for repairs/fixes, first year of the kiddos life, ect ect.

So no real excuse for not riding enough. :D

Anyway I have never pushed my bike enough to really feel like the handling was holding me back.

I also found a diffrent model for about 800: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penske-8983...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3f1cbb55cf

I would leave it as is unless you start feeling you're hitting the limits.. Spend your $$$ on something more useful! Got a decent seat?

I would leave it as is unless you start feeling you're hitting the limits.. Spend your $$$ on something more useful! Got a decent seat?

Kinda what I was thinking, like I said, it was low on my buy-list. Its why I was wondering if it was one of the things you could really feel an improvement, or if you had to be pushing it to really feel the improvement.

Already have a good seat, full set of pipes. More then likely it will be the carb kit from morely, or the footrest system he has.

I kinda rode mine plenty hard, but I must say suspension wise the best improvement I got was when I fitted the Ricor Intimators to the front forks, that was really noticeably better. (I already had Prog springs and heavier oil)

I would wholeheartedly recommend these as an upgrade to the front, and they don't really break the bank. I just wish I'd kept them when selling the '86, I'd love to put them in my '00!

Foot,

Don't put more money into the bike than it is worth. Keep it as stock as possible! A frame brace and upgraded brakes, Odyssey battery and Morley seat is all I would do. Yes, also great tires.

Remember that new born,,,drive very safe my friend.:clapping:

Ouchez

I kinda rode mine plenty hard, but I must say suspension wise the best improvement I got was when I fitted the Ricor Intimators to the front forks, that was really noticeably better. (I already had Prog springs and heavier oil)

I would wholeheartedly recommend these as an upgrade to the front, and they don't really break the bank. I just wish I'd kept them when selling the '86, I'd love to put them in my '00!
+1, the intiminators made a drastic difference in the way the front end behaves. Money well spent IMO.

If you don't feel there is an issue I would not bother. Especially with the rear.

Fork springs made a big difference for me. Best money I ever spent on the vmax. Intiminators helped but I feel the springs were a more dramatic improvement for less money.

I did progressive 440's and was disappointed in performance gained vs. $ spent.

If I were in your position, I would probably save the money for diapers, baby food, family vacation, etc.... and enjoy my max just the way it is since I didn't get to ride it much.

Foot,

Don't put more money into the bike than it is worth. Keep it as stock as possible! A frame brace and upgraded brakes, Odyssey battery and Morley seat is all I would do. Yes, also great tires.

Remember that new born,,,drive very safe my friend.:clapping:

Ouchez

See now, I agree with you so much and also disagree with you so much. :D

To me the vmax is made to be customized. It is such a cult clasic and there are so many ways you can really make it your own.

On the other hand. I cant see myself putting 5k into cosmetics on a 4k bike.

On my '92 I found that the brakes were terrible so that is the area I worked on first. Being on a limited budget I started with brake pads (EBC HH) which provided much better braking. the next move was to get Jedi brake adaptors and larger wavy rotors (282mm vs 298mm) to provide more braking surface area/ cooling. I ultimately went with Sean's busa brake caliper adapters, 2002 busa calipers, and SS braided lines. I am completely pleased with how it brakes now.
Once I had better brakes it showed how weak the stock fork spring was. I already knew I had to do something with the front end because it was sagging badly in fast corners, but stopping this beast was a priority. I went with Progressive spings with a 2" drop, Ricor Intimanators, and 10wt fork oil. I have just added radial tires and it has been a revelation as what they can do for a Vmax's handling.
Recapping, I would work on getting the bike to stop properly, then to handle properly and then you have a stable platform to add go faster goodies to.

If you ride hard I would at the very least put Progressive Springs in the Forks.
I had my front Springs Stock for years and that it was fine but I finally installed the Progressives Springs last year and it is Absolutely worth the $100 I spent.
I have always run a bit hot in the Twisties but with the Progressives it is much more stable. The difference in cornering Stability really is impressive.
Personally I have also stuck with Stock Rear Shocks beacuse of the mixed feelings on the Rear from everyone over the years, many have said they really couldn't tell a difference.

Gen 1 used stock shocks suck . You don't have to spend big bucks to test that theory. Used Progressives ( not the cheapest model ) can really help with handling in the corners and under hard acceleration or hard deceleration. Keep an eye out on the site and if they don't help ; 1) I would be very surprised . 2) You can re-sell 'em for probably what you paid .

Back