Sync screw repair?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ih8detroits

Reaction score
I stripped one of my sync screws out! Pulled out my spare parts carbs and they have been modified due to the same problem. The 1st pic is my stripped screw hole the 2nd is my parts carbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? I have some ideas but I'm looking for some more. uploadfromtaptalk1381075460024.jpguploadfromtaptalk1381075488001.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen the nut addition and see no reason why it won't work just fine. Otherwise you'll need to drill/tap it for a large thread and go that route.

Like Sean said, I don't see why you don't just tap it for a Slightly larger screw.

But if I drill and tap it I won't be able to use my spring that the screw goes through.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Up on the screw and with a washer and you should be able to use the same spring.....

Best suggestion is to tap a little bit bigger thread and match with the right screw.
Screw Small.jpg

Helicoil or similar will allow the same size, as will weld up and re drill then tap. But it's a project for nothing. I'd use a nut, like Sean mentioned. It'll be an easy and fast repair.

Had the same thing happen here, could sink the carbs and 20 miles later running like crap, checked sync was way off. I Just tapped with the next size bigger. I went to MAC hardware, the had a small box of springs for like 8 bucks. Picked out the one that was the stongest that fit the screw.( It nice to have some extra springs around for that emergency. ) It was a little bit long so with a side cutter cut it the same length as the old one and just like new.

Back