Temp related to charging?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
While I think I know the unfortunate answer here, just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions about this..

Had the famous low running voltage on my Max for some time. Hovered around 12.8 when I got the bike. Did the crimp fix, went up to about 13.3. Then I forgot about it for about 6-7000 miles. Never any issues with starting or the battery going flat. Checked it recently, only 12.3 volts when idling and 12.5 revved up. 12.4 with highbeam and fan on.....not good. Still, I took it on several longer trips like this and never had electrical issues, hot starts not a problem. Only quirk was that when idling in traffic (fan on), the blinker would flash erratically(but would flash normally if you raised it just off idle).

I got a mosfet r/r off a Ninja ZX10 and wired it in(very similar to the R1 part, just a bit smaller). Stator wires directly to the r/r(eliminated that connector), output and ground wires directly to battery, eliminating those two. Fired the bike up, 14.4 volts idling, 14.5 revved up. Perfect. No headlight dimming at idle. Thought I had kicked this problem. Went for a 20 minute ride. Noticed on my way back at a stoplight the headlight noticeably dimmed at idle...uh oh. Checked the voltage when I got back. Idling, it's all the way down to 12.5, about 12.8 revved up. Standing battery(motor off) was a perfect 12.65. So what gives? The r/r was barely even warm to the touch(this might have been engine heat, it's living under the seat where the rear coils would be), and none of the wires going to it were warm at all.

The stator tested .8 ohms per leg when cold, and 1.2 when hot. Hot or cold, no continuity to ground on any leg. Seems like it should be fine, but yet more strange issues. Some wacky short that only appears under load AND heat? I guess it's possible.

I'm guessing(really the only thing left) is that the stator is only partially functional....good output when cold, marginal when hot. I have heard of this on outboards that come in with complaints of "runs good at startup but quickly starts to run poorly", or "starts right up when cold, but difficult when hot", where both cases turned out to be the stator.

I guess I should cut to the chase....where's a good place to buy one? Yamaha wants almost $400 for one...forget that. Dennis Kirk sells one by "Rick's Electrics" for $130 free shipping, which is more reasonable. Listed as a "heavy duty", I'm not sure if that means higher output or not. There's a guy selling reman ones on ebay, but the fact that he mis-spelled "stater" concerns me. If any of the vendors here sell them I'd be glad to support, but otherwise I've had lots of good luck with DK and they ship things fast...always get it in exactly 3 days.

I have an 85 Max and had the same problem. I fixed this problem by taking the foot peg assembly which the rectifier attaches to completley off. I then cleaned all of the places where the footpeg assembly mounts to the frame with a light grade sandpaper. I also used CLR on a rag to wipe all of the mounting spots. Also soaked all of the bolts in CLR including the rectifier screws. I also cleaned were the rectifier mounts (light sandpaper) and lightly sanded the back of the rectifier. I put it all back together and it works fine (14.3 to 14.5). Hope this may help you:th_image003:

I also had the same problem as you on my '86. Replaced the R/R and checked - looked all good. But then after a bit of riding, bike wouldn't start again. Battery flat. Obviously no charging.
Then someone posted the problem: intermittent stator. Works when cold, not when hot. I think mine got damaged because of shorting in the stator output connector - that thing gets hot and mine melted pretty bad.

I bought the parts to replace it but haven't got round to doing it yet as I'm off traveling. Here are the parts I bought, hope the links help ya, and I hope it'll fix your problem, 'cos then it means that when I eventually get round to it, it'll fix mine too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370392848640

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190379968222&viewitem=

I had the exact same problem and a replacement stator definitely fixed it. Be VERY careful of Ebay. I paid for a stator and never received it and had to finally file a dispute to get my money returned. Guy swore up and down that it had shipped but wouldn't provide me with a tracking number. There is a place, Rick's Electrics http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ , that sells stators that work great AND they deliver!

Looks like I'll order the Rick's part. Reasonable price and they have good reviews everywhere. I tried the stator this morning and it was back to 14.4 volts when cold, so it definetly craps out once the motor warms up. The stator harness connector looked fine, no sign of melting or scorching, but it's gone now anyway.

The bike still charges and "runs positive", but just barely. Maybe the Odyssey battery masks the problem a bit.

We sell a few kinds including "Ricks". Of course the OEM Vmax and the heavier duty Venture ones (more output) and have a few aftermarket ones. I should be able to sell you a Ricks unit for the $140ish range including shipping. I get more then that for the HD venture unit but they should both have similar output. I think maybe the OEM is slightly better quality.

I also sell aftermarket (and OEM) finned regulators (99 and up have them). $80 plus ship new aftermarket unit.

Sean

OK so I am one of THOSE guys that does not have a repair manual yet, how labor intensive is this replacement? How far into the motor do I have to go on my 1994?

OK so I am one of THOSE guys that does not have a repair manual yet, how labor intensive is this replacement? How far into the motor do I have to go on my 1994?

I don't know if we have a ModMonkey rating yet, but on a scale of 5 bananas being highest, I would rate changing the stator as 1.5 bananas.
You'll have to remove your midgear cover and stator cover at a minimum. One "problem" you may encounter, as I have, is breaking a screw or two on the pickup coil brackets and the 3 stator bolts. That's where the 1/2 banana comes in.

I got my stator from Tim Parrot off ebay and it seems to have worked pretty well... except for lately I've been getting low idle voltage around 12.5 when hot. I haven't confirmed yet whether it's the stator or the r/r. My buddy also got a Parrot stator and r/r and the stator had a short to ground. Parrot was all but unwilling to work with him saying that it happened after it was installed on the bike. So beware the Parrot.

RaWarrior- just because someone doesn't spell every word correctly doesn't mean they do shoddy work. I've seen Morley misspell things and I believe I'd trust him with any aspect of my bike. Some people choose to educate themselves to the task at hand, and not how to spell the task. Just sayin'.

Back