VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since switching from full syn(mobil 1 4t) to dino (rotella-t), the clutch has a more "positive" feel to the lever. I never noticed it slipping before, but the bike seems a bit quicker now so maybe it was slightly. Transmission works better too...quieter, easier shifting.

Plus rotella is like 1/3 the price of the mobil 1, so I like that too.

Oil advice please

I'm going to start changing my oil myself (which in NYC is somewhat of a production) I'd like to change it every 1k, I just can't justify paying $100 for an oil change in the city.

I've never changed the oil in a VMAX. Can someone please offer some basic advice? I'm trying to cover all the bases before I start, as I don't have a garage or anywhere safe to leave the bike if things don't right.

First, what oil should I get? I was thinking semi-synthetic, but not sure weight or even quantity I should use. I'm not a hard rider, 90% city driving, but rarely high rpms.

Second, what brand of filter should I get? Any tricks to removal or replacement would be appreciated!

I'd prefer to order online to get a discount if you guys know of some place that has good prices and products.

Thanks in advance for any help with the SUPER-newbie question!

Don

Re: Oil advice please

I'm going to start changing my oil myself (which in NYC is somewhat of a production) I'd like to change it every 1k, I just can't justify paying $100 for an oil change in the city.

I've never changed the oil in a VMAX. Can someone please offer some basic advice? I'm trying to cover all the bases before I start, as I don't have a garage or anywhere safe to leave the bike if things don't right.

First, what oil should I get? I was thinking semi-synthetic, but not sure weight or even quantity I should use. I'm not a hard rider, 90% city driving, but rarely high rpms.

Second, what brand of filter should I get? Any tricks to removal or replacement would be appreciated!

I'd prefer to order online to get a discount if you guys know of some place that has good prices and products.

Thanks in advance for any help with the SUPER-newbie question!

Don

Check this link for oil filters:
http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/oil_filters.htm

OEM, Mobil, and K+N are probably the most commonly used.

Any oil that does not say "energy conserving" will do. 5w-40, 15w-40, or 20w-50 will all work. Lots of guys recommend Shell Rotella 15w-40. It is a diesel truck oil with lots of zinc. Cheap, non synthetic. They make a synthetic in 5w-40 but its a little more $$, still reasonable.

Figure 4 qts/ oil change.

All you should need is a socket to fit the drain plug, a catch pan, and a place to recycle the used stuff. Your oil filter *should* come off by hand. If not, you can buy a strap wrench to remove it just to CYA.

Re: Oil advice please

dmioton;195043 I'd like to change it every 1k [/QUOTE said:
That's beyond overkill. The manual calls for an oil change(in 1985) every 7500 miles. When I drained the oil at around 7k, it was only a dirty brown...nowhere near black.

Super frequent oil changes will have absolutely zero benefit to the motor. At 1k, the additives and viscosity will have barely begun to degrade and you're just wasting perfectly good oil. While I realize people have an "only the best" mentality towards their bikes, this is one area where it's just a pure and simple waste of money. My rule of thumb is when neutral starts getting tough to find, it's time for an oil change (clutch is dragging more). Usually around 6-7k miles.

Whatever oil you want as long as it's not "energy conserving" or "high mileage". Bad for your clutch.

Whatever filter you want. Couldn't matter less. I like to stick a few powerful magnets to the filter, they'll catch any metallic gremlins floating around.

Make sure to put a dab of oil on the new filter's gasket to prevent it from sticking later. Give it like 1/4 turn after it bottoms....no need to go nuts tightening it. Just makes it harder to get off later.

You can order online, but really, the discount will be eaten up by shipping costs, and oil and filters are so readily available in "brick and mortar" establishments it's not worth paying for shipping, then waiting. Find a Pepboys or Advance...both carry motorcycle filters. The autozone near me doesn't.

With a filter change, mine takes a bit over 5 quarts to get it up to the top hash mark on the sight glass. Drain, change filter, add 3qts. Start the bike up and let it run for like 10 seconds. Shut it off, wait a couple min, then add oil until it's to the top line of the sight glass....NOT all the way up it. Overfilling can cause your airbox to become full of oil. I buy the 5qt jugs of RotellaT.

Hi - thanks to all for their input regarding what oil is best to use. One question I have however, is related to the level of oil visible in the sight glass. When checking the oil level, should the bike be on the center stand, or on both wheels while holding it upright. Placing the bike in either of these two positions shows different oil levels, so thought I'd ask. The repair manual wasn't any help.
Thanks.

Oil change time

Just bought my 2004 vmax this spring and its time for my first oil change. Just curious what every one runs for oil? What is the capacity? Filter from the dealer sufficient? I live in Iowa so I don't intend to run a heavy oil like 20W50... I was thinking 10W40? What about synthetics?? Just curious what the opinions are.

Re: Oil change time

lots of discussions on this topic if you do a search here.

a common one is rotella 15w40 has a bunch of zinc which ya need and lack in the modern oils. just short of 4 qt is needed. good luck on picking a oil, or watch what happens on this thread as this is a non stop topic here hahaha

Just bought my 2004 vmax this spring and its time for my first oil change. Just curious what every one runs for oil? What is the capacity? Filter from the dealer sufficient? I live in Iowa so I don't intend to run a heavy oil like 20W50... I was thinking 10W40? What about synthetics?? Just curious what the opinions are.

Mobil-1 motorcycle specific synthetic is pricey but worth the money & is found at you local autozone & other auto parts stores, it comes in 10wt-40 and 20-50 stay with the 10-40.

Car oils are not made to withstand transmission gears and wear out quickly when used in motorcycles.
another option is castrol 4T 10-40 motorcycle specific also found in auto stores & is a very good oil (not synthetic).
my 2 cents.

I change my oil in the spring, I go to the Yami dealer and get their filter and a gallon of 20-50 motorcycle oil...................May cost a little more but it's what the factory recommends........................My 2 cents too....................Tom.

I use Honda GN4 10w40, along with a Honda filter. Like Beekeeper, once a year for me too.

The only thing he's getting out of the Florida soil is swamp gas!..................Hmmm, I wonder how the max would perform on that?

Back