& the Stupid Asshole of the Day Award goes to..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
..ME!

Having survived two days of riding the tail of the dragon at Deal's Gap in the wet and at night, I today proceeded to wash my bike, clean and dry the camping gear, take off that worn rear Shinko and replace with brand the new Dunlop 491 (on spare wheel) and refit my Venture pumpkin. Having done everything, I decide to take it for a quick spin around the lake.

What's the first thing to remember when fitting a brand new tire? Take it EASY! I get to the bottom of my road, turn right to go round the lake (5mph max), lose the rear wheel, try to get it back, go topside and drop the Max on its left, with my foot under it. :bang head::damn angry::bang head::damn angry::bang head:

So now my left foot and my left hand hurt like hell (bruised), my right hand has a half-inch hole in it (can't work out how or why), somehow there's a gash on my left elbow and another on my chest, and my left FatMax bag is scratched to the core. Nothing much else - engine guard did its job and I just bent it back. Rest of the bike is ok - those FatMax hard bags saved both the bike and my foot! Thank you Mr Dunlop..

I feel like such an idiot - new tire = soapy wheels. It's not like I don't know this shit... So there, dropped the bike twice in three days now (first time in the dirt at Deal's Gap - no prob) and I'm parking it till tomorrow. :damn angry:

At least I have plenty of Arnica left.. :worthy:

Attachments

• P1080709.JPG
    P1080709.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P1080711.JPG
    P1080711.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 81
  • P1080720.JPG
    P1080720.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 69
Yep that one bit me kinda... Cold tire this last spring... Parts added up QUICK. It was a 2500 dollar mistake on my part.

Anyway...

Glad you're OK.

Chris

OUCH!!!!

That sucks bad.....

Looks like you AND the bike took the same amount of damage...

YIKES!!!!!

New tires are that slick????

I have never had that happen.....:confused2:

That totally sux G....sorry to hear of your mishap!! Hope you heal up soon....prolly want some butterfly bandages to keep that wound closed, I use them as 'home-grown stitches'!

Kyle, the mould release on new tires can be very slippery...give it about 100 miles of break-in before pushing them too much.

OUCH!!!!

New tires are that slick????

I have never had that happen.....:confused2:

Both the places I buy tires at hand you a business card when you check out stating that the tires are going to be slippery for a few miles.

I thought it was from the mold release agent the MFGR uses, not the soap they use to install the tire.

I always wipe mine down with denatured alchohol to get the stuff off before I ride, I forgot once and almost ate it big time 'cause I was being a smartass/showoff and used the rear brake to bring the rear of the bike around to point it the other way, which I do sometimes, but that time it REALLY spun around and almost went down on my left foot/leg

Sorry to hear it G - but at least you're still here to tell us about it. Waayyy better than a t-bone with a cage. I think we've all laid one down at some point - glad you're still among us - hope to see you in Oldsmar Saturday if you're feeling up to it. My trip was post-poned one day so I'll prolly ride in - just got my carbs finished thanx to Maleko89 sending me a part - will post details later...

I`m glad you`re ok,
good thing that you litteraly didn`t take a spin around the lake.
I think that a little body finishing putty and some black laqure with a couple coats of clear should pretty up the bike again.:eusa_dance:
and keep that wound clean and closed, I have diabites and a wound like that could prove to be devastating for me.
Take care,
<<Dave>>:biglaugh:

Sorry to hear that G you must be really pissed at that , it could of been worse tho lucky you werent seriously injured .

The other month when my mate was fitting my new front he was telling me bout this guy on a HD pulled in to get some oil for his hog . Now apparently this guy was a real know-all he knew it all . Now my mates boss told him the rear was getting down and as this guy was doing a trip convinced him to put on a new one on and they gave him a good price and fitted it for free .
Now this guy being the Hardcore know - all that he was couldnt be told to take it easy for the first few ks , he of course knew it all got on his bike started to smoke it up (as that what he did with a new tyre ) and launched it .
Now my mate said he just got out of view and next thing this guy has lost it even before the bend and they hear a almighty crunch . Now all the guys at the shop are finally convinced this guy ia a total Fuckwit , but being bikers themselves they run down to see if this guy is alright . By this time he is getting up and nutting off at the truck driver that he reckoned cut him off . The truck drivers response to this was punch first ask questions later and in doing this knocked this guys nazi type helmet off and sent him back to the pavement . Now at this point all the guys were standing round laughing and well this didnt go down well at all with this guy as he proceded to go on bout how these cunts had sold him a dude rear and in that he turned round and went to punch the young appentice mechanic only to slip over and crack his head open on his bike ...

Now that guys deserves an award . :looser:
And yes that is a true story .....

Cheer up G , shit happens :punk:

The word "shit" comes to mind, luckily you're still mainly in one piece.
Bikes can be replaced but people can't.
I had that sickening feeling when mine went over last Xmas, but I turned it around by replacing all the parts and buying the upgrades I had dreamed of doing
anyway.
Good luck

Ouch G, thats suck man!
Im glad you're ok. Get well and heal quick.

Something similar happen to me couple yers ago but luckily i was manage
with this and stay on the wheels.

+1 Rusty
New tires are covered with something like wax.
I always use a dissolvent to wash that thing from new tire.

glad ur ok buddy. shitty tho. glad the injuries to u and the bike were minimal all things considered.

Yep, you better start poppin' plenty of them little sugar pills in that chapstick tube....y'know, I'm bruised as hell I don't think they worked for me....

Aren't you glad you didn't ride that new tire on the Gap?

sheeat!!!! that sucks, all's well that ends well. glad to hear your ok, good lesson for guys to hear about, sorry you are the teacher on that one.

Back