The time has come for some tuning....HELP!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbidcow55

Reaction score
Ok guys, so here's the deal. I bought a 98 vmax with 8000 miles on it, and ever since I bought it, it has never run correctly. It will always stumble under 3000 rpms. Now onto the main event!! The other night I went out with some buddies, and when I was getting onto the highway, it started to stumble like crazy. Then, when I came to a stop light, it was blowing out un-burned fuel out of one pipe. Then when I shut it off, a puddle of gas forms under the bike. The gas however does not come from the vent tubes on the sides of the carbs. So here is what I have done to the bike thus far:

New NGK plugs
New plug wires
Coils tested
K&N air filter
93 Octane gas no matter what the price!!

I think that one of my floats may be stuck open, and I am pretty sure that I will end up cleaning everything inside of the carbs out. I do, however, need to know what kind of jets the bike is supposed to have. If anybody can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys

Stock:

Mikuini Jets: Square in square image on top of jet and what looks like the letter R, and jet size number.

Mains: 152.5
PAJ#1: 90
PAJ#2: 170

They will all have the same design, the numbers on the top correspond to the jet size.

I'm the only one here right now, but the pros will be here soon enough.

P.S. scrap the 93 octane. It makes no difference.

Im no pro but get the lowest octane you can without spark knock. If im correct the higher the octane level is the hotter the spark needed to combust the fuel

Did you verify that you have spark to each cylinder?

Those jets are the correct stock sizes.

87 octane is the best for a stock motor.

Time for an exploratory into the carbs.Torn diaphrams?Worn or stuck float seats?Cracked or leaking airbox,carb boot or vboost boots sucking air?I once had a needle seat come loose.Once had a cracked vboost boot.Once I put the bowls on wrong and the vents were catching air at speed and screwed everything all up on stage 7.

There are many things that can screw up on these.I would verify spark everywhere then the floats and diaphrams.

Latest posts

Back