The Ultimate Oil Thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naughtyG

Reaction score
I am thinking of starting a poll, where everyone could put in which oil they are using in their Maxes and how happy they are with it.

Buster, is there a way to do such a thing here? I was thinking along the lines of the Awards vote thing - but instead of voting just Yes, No or Maybe, we could all vote for the 5 or 6 most popular brands of oil such as Shell, Mobil, Yamaha, Castrol, Havoline and maybe one more and one vote for 'Other'.

Then when voting peeps could put the viscosity they use and how happy they are in a quick reply. They could also list what they are using if they voted 'Other'.

I'm riding in Florida weather, and need an oil change for my '86. I've been thinking Shell Rotella T as many have mentioned it here, but I can only find 15W40 and thought 20W50 would be more appropriate for my climate?

A nice poll would make it clear which oil is most popular among all riders IMHO:clapping:

Good idea Naughty. I've been thinking on trying the Rotella also.

But I can tell you I tried a thicker oil, because of the heat here. And I noticed a slight sluggishness to my VMax. So i went back the regular weight. It wasn't drastic, but it just didn't have the same peep to it with thicker oil.
I pretty much use Yamalube it give me the best shifting from the others I've tried. Plus I have the Yamaha rewards points so every 6th or 7th oil change is free.

Good idea. But I think you should include more oils like, Golden Spectro, Amsoil, Lucas, Maxum. synthetics or standard for all that I listed. Of the people I know these are the top oils for bikes.

I am thinking of starting a poll, where everyone could put in which oil they are using in their Maxes and how happy they are with it.

Buster, is there a way to do such a thing here? I was thinking along the lines of the Awards vote thing - but instead of voting just Yes, No or Maybe, we could all vote for the 5 or 6 most popular brands of oil such as Shell, Mobil, Yamaha, Castrol, Havoline and maybe one more and one vote for 'Other'.

Then when voting peeps could put the viscosity they use and how happy they are in a quick reply. They could also list what they are using if they voted 'Other'.

I'm riding in Florida weather, and need an oil change for my '86. I've been thinking Shell Rotella T as many have mentioned it here, but I can only find 15W40 and thought 20W50 would be more appropriate for my climate?

A nice poll would make it clear which oil is most popular among all riders IMHO:clapping:

Just start a poll and list all the types of oil. When people vote they can put the weight of oil they use in their post.

AMSOIL 20W-50 for hot weather areas and 10W-40 for cooler weather areas with an AMSOIL filter. I use it in everything. I have it in my SUV. After a year, I bought an AMSOIL sample kit and sent it in. They analyzed the oil and told me everything about it. Weather it's breaking down or if something might be wrong with your engine. The first time I tested it, nothing was wrong with the oil and they suggested to reuse the oil and retest in 6 months. So I did and they told me to reuse it again. It's been almost two years now, the oil is not dark at all and still looks new. Also, I suggest you do not use automotive oil. Automotive oil breaks down a lot faster in motorcycles due to the much higher rev rates. Also, automotive oil isn't formulated to be used in transmissions and clutches. In my opinion, AMSOIL is the best and they have motorcycle oil and filters for the vmax.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::bullshit::stop:

Oil Threads!! These threads always get out of hand and very emotional, tempers flare when ya talk about oil.
One guys loves Penzoil, One guy hates it, One guy likes Qauker State we all hate Qauker State. We have the diehards that love Amsoil and swear its oil poured from gods hands. We have those that changed oil with there gran pas back in 1923 and think John Force and Castrol is the only way to go, We have the 18 wheelers and diesels some are strokers and some are cummers but they all love Shell Rotella 15w40 And we have those that shop at Wal Mart and use car oil in there motorcycles and swears its the best! No matter what.. who cares..... we all have our opinions. I said it all whats more to say. Did I miss any brand:ummm:

My 2cents:....When I bought my Max, I found it hard to shift,...especial on hard acceleration. Read the lil blurb on Rottela 15-40,...wanted to change the filter and do the basic checks,..supposedly it was just serviced after 3yrs in hibernation,...all was well,...after about a week i noticed the bike really shifted a lot better,..was it the oil , or just the run time time,..2 oil changes later , and still using the Rottela,..My early moring rides in early spring and fall, are on average 5 celsius ..(41fahrenheit),..never any prob, starting ...smooth idle..
Summer I think I should prolly use 20-50...next year....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back