Thinking about adding another bike...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank5079

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I sold my Suzuki RF900RR and got my 'Max, I've been really happy with it. But I must admit that there are times when I long for the wind protection and longer legs that a sport-touring bike provides. Don't get me wrong...I love my 'Max and will keep it forever, but my old RF900 was comfortable and very stable at highway speeds(especially with the cruise control on) and it would get anywhere from 200 to 250 miles on 5.5 gallons of gas. The negatives were buzzy handlebars and short leg room as well as a sore neck.

So I've been looking at both 1st and 2nd gen Kawasaki Concours. What do you guys think??

I've herd nothing but good things from Concours owners Frank. Maybe Johnny Hacksaw will chime in. He likes his. I'd like a Venture Royale for a cruiser.
Steve

I owned a 1987 Concours for years. Bought it new and sold it about 2 years ago. Always enjoyed riding it. I have the MAX now, but like you said, would like to have a little variety. I miss my Concours!

I have an 89 Venture Royale, totally fucking love it. Never ditching my vmax though. Gotta tell ya I love the smooth ride and yank of the V4 combined with near perfect ergos and wind protection for a lanky guy. I have covered many states with it and have yet to turn on the stereo or CB. Oh yea, you can buy Royales all day long for $2000-ish. Worth a testride at the very least.

I lile the max but your right on wind protection, also cargo space is nice but mostly the Vmax is a bit high-strung for the long haul. They handle fantastic for a big bike, mine corners better than my Vmax.

I bought a FJR1300 to address longer 2-up rides with my wife.

My 2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) boasts the following:
same HP as the VMAX at the crank
same shaft drive as the VMAX
17" rims with radial tires
great suspension for single/2up
ABS (Gen I is unlinked)
built in saddlebags (each holds a helmet)
very nice handling

might want to check out the FJR - and keep it in the Yamaha family...

Bought a 2013 Royal Star Venture for longer 2 up touring, but will never sell my 2006 Vmax.

I'm keeping Redbone but I am diligently looking for a Gen2 (2014 - newer) Super Tenere that can eat up some miles and some ability to go down a dirt road. I wanna be just like Dave!
I also have in the back of my mind that I want another very dirt oriented but still capable of limited road travel someday. Since I'm not getting any younger that someday will be sooner than later.

Last edited:
The Roadstar gets a lot of miles put on it on those days where comfort and cargo space is important. But the Max ain't going anywhere!!

Love my Venture Royale but 200-250 miles to a tank seems like a pipe dream. She loves to run 80+ on the highway and Gets around 30mpg at anything over 70mph. But it is a dream to ride. I probably get 120 miles before reserve during my normal drive which isn't conducive to good gas mileage. 6 miles each way daily, I probably spend more time warming the bike up then riding. I think I got around 155 before reserve on a longer ride.

I really enjoyed my buddy's '07 FJR1300. Felt like a high end luxury sports car.

If I can set the cruise at 70 ive still got half a tank at 100 mi, at 80+ its a bit less. Im sure you folks know this already but you can bolt Vmax top end onto a 1st gen Venture. A couple guys on the Venture board have the setup and I'm told MPG is still great.

bought a 1999 tdm 850 for the wife and love the bike.
dont know if you got them over there but a bike like the tdm(maxi.trail ) is real good for cruising

Back