those that have ridden one....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
how do the following bikes compare to a vmax, or to each other:

kawa zrx1200r
kawa z1000
speed triple
sv1000n
honda 919
bking

say, hypothetically, i was going to sell the 'max. as far as the characteristics if i were to replace the vmax, i would need:

power, torque, and ability to tour. i do some 1000 mile plus weekends and the max did pretty well for them. i am aboug 5'10, 220 lbs.

I owned a 955cc 2000 speed triple earlier this year. I would rate the s3 on par with everything but torque. i think some higher bars would help the touring, but its a bit 'out there' in the wind. I know jayhawk had a bking so i'd love to hear his response, and i know a couple guys have some zrx's. styling on all of these meet my requirements! also would hear other thoughts on similar rides.

I have taken a Bking out for a ride on a couple of occasions and all I can say is that bike is off the hook!! 60 mph in 2nd gear and it was just purring along, lots of power on demand, and it handles great. I personally don't mind the styling, like streetfighter type bikes, and for a big bike it feels amazingly light.

Having said that I also like the new Z1000 as well. A HUGE improvement over the previous model in power and handling. Kawi finally decided that they didn't need to neuter the ZX10R engine to put it in a standard:punk: Very well may be my next bike, either that or a Fazer 8 from Yamaha.

I have taken a Bking out for a ride on a couple of occasions and all I can say is that bike is off the hook!! 60 mph in 2nd gear and it was just purring along, lots of power on demand, and it handles great. I personally don't mind the styling, like streetfighter type bikes, and for a big bike it feels amazingly light.

Having said that I also like the new Z1000 as well. A HUGE improvement over the previous model in power and handling. Kawi finally decided that they didn't need to neuter the ZX10R engine to put it in a standard:punk: Very well may be my next bike, either that or a Fazer 8 from Yamaha.

Unfortunately a new 2010 is a bit out of my price range, looking more to 3000-7000 probably. I found a nice 2k8 for 5ish. Or a 2k3 for 3500.

Jim have u ridden a new z1000?

With the bking, how was the touring aspects? How tall r u?

All of them are nice and fast bikes. But none of them will have people.
Come up to you and say"wow, A vamx, your one crazy sum bitch. A buddy of mine had one back in the day". As the conversation begins.Making you late for your evening plans.

Kaw Concours 14

:clapping:

Attachments

• Kawasaki Concours 14 '08 - 1.jpg
    Kawasaki Concours 14 '08 - 1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

kawa zrx1200r
kawa z1000
speed triple
sv1000n
honda 919
bking

say, hypothetically, i was going to sell the 'max. as far as the characteristics if i were to replace the vmax, i would need:

power, torque, and ability to tour. i do some 1000 mile plus weekends and the max did pretty well for them. i am aboug 5'10, 220 lbs.

I owned a 955cc 2000 speed triple earlier this year. I would rate the s3 on par with everything but torque. i think some higher bars would help the touring, but its a bit 'out there' in the wind. I know jayhawk had a bking so i'd love to hear his response, and i know a couple guys have some zrx's. styling on all of these meet my requirements! also would hear other thoughts on similar rides.
I've had ZX12r years ago, slightly tunned.
2000 model so NOT blocked up to 300kmh. 320max speed.
It will make a laugh on stock gen1 but its also a heavy bike.

Sold about 4 years ago couse I want to live...

Ya, not huge into the sport tourers or full supersports. Not interested in the ninja or gsx_r(busa) lineup. For whatever reason they just don't do it for me

Unfortunately a new 2010 is a bit out of my price range, looking more to 3000-7000 probably. I found a nice 2k8 for 5ish. Or a 2k3 for 3500.

Jim have u ridden a new z1000?

With the bking, how was the touring aspects? How tall r u?

Haven't had a chance to ride the Z1000, sat on a 2010 and the ergos felt pretty good. Have a friend of a friend that owns an older model, 2007 I believe, and I might see if he will let me have a seat on it and see how it feels. I am just a shade under 6' tall, according to my doctor I am at 6', but I dont trust his measurements LOL. With the BKing I found the ergos to be really good as well, nice and comfy upright riding position. Gauges were easy to read, footpegs were in a good position, and even the mirrors were fairly good by comparison with a Gen 1 Vmax. Think it is really going to come down to what meets your criteria and budget.

Oh ya, I sat on a 2010 z1000 and it felt amazing. Not sure I can swing that kind of cash tho. I've read the 2k7 and up models r nice. No bkings for sale in a 300 mi radius either.

well,..havent tried any of the bikes mentioned, but I tried a 2003 cbr-RR 929 ?? I;m not sure if I got that right.
It was at the dealership that the wife works at. They asked me if I would take the bike to the car wash :biglaugh:
Allrighty then! Well I made it about 4 blocks away and had to stop. I couldnt ride it!!! My neck wouldnt bend UP high enough to see the road ahead. All I could see was 1foot past the front bumper:confused2: My wrists hurt terribly trying to hold my self up. " i was so disapointed in my self,.....I really wanted to go for a fun ride. So I managed to get the bike back, and a young rubbery lot boy jumped on with ease and went zoomin away.:wave bye:
"well that went over like a FART in a space suite" I guess my next bike would be some sort of geezer mobile LOL.
Had a 650 Seca years back...to light, to fast for its own good.

Sunrise yamaha ( www.searcyyamaha.com ) here in Arkansas has new 08 left over B King. They have had it a long time. Buy it, fly into Little Rock (Sunrise yamaha has an airport shuttle service) and ride it home!

I'm young (26) but bad shoulders from rugby. I think sport bikes are nice, but not my thing.

well,..havent tried any of the bikes mentioned, but I tried a 2003 cbr-RR 929 ?? I;m not sure if I got that right.
It was at the dealership that the wife works at. They asked me if I would take the bike to the car wash :biglaugh:
Allrighty then! Well I made it about 4 blocks away and had to stop. I couldnt ride it!!! My neck wouldnt bend UP high enough to see the road ahead. All I could see was 1foot past the front bumper:confused2: My wrists hurt terribly trying to hold my self up. " i was so disapointed in my self,.....I really wanted to go for a fun ride. So I managed to get the bike back, and a young rubbery lot boy jumped on with ease and went zoomin away.:wave bye:
"well that went over like a FART in a space suite" I guess my next bike would be some sort of geezer mobile LOL.
Had a 650 Seca years back...to light, to fast for its own good.

Don't see a price or it listed on their site, but I'm on my phone, is it listed?
Sunrise yamaha ( www.searcyyamaha.com ) here in Arkansas has new 08 left over B King. They have had it a long time. Buy it, fly into Little Rock (Sunrise yamaha has an airport shuttle service) and ride it home!

Hey Garrett, I own an SV1000S so I can compare them side by side.

Mine dyno'd 104HP and 70lbft at the wheel on a VERY humid 90? day. Keep in mind though that that torque came in VERY low which makes it VERY nice to ride on the street and in the twisties. You don't have to ring its neck to make it go go GO!

It's been a great bike. I bought it brand new in 2004. It was a 2003 left over.

Chris

I just called Sunrise, they do still have it. It is on their site somewhere. He mentioned it had special Internet pricing. Call 501 268 8826. Ask for a salesman named John.

If I can only have one bike, I go for versatility. Since I take long trips, a shaft drive is important. Keeping a chain lubed and adjusted on a 3500 mile trip in one week is a PITA. The B-King is nice but don't see much in the way of touring gear for it. (Tall windshield, luggage, racks, etc). The rear bodywork/seat panels on many bikes gets scuffed by throw-over soft luggage plus you need some sort of bag brackets to keep the bags away from the rear wheel and/or shocks (which are not available on most of the bikes you mentioned). Also, many of the bikes you mentioned have a cafe style fairing which is not great for trips either and do not have large replacement screens available. The Honda 919 might have touring accessories (Givi, etc) but it is a boring and unattractive bike. I came back to the Max for most of the reasons mentioned as everything is available, even FatMax hard luggage. I do wish Givi mounts were still available though. A guy in England sells brackets to mount Givi Wingmounts but they place the bags to high and wide. Five Star used to make the tighter fitting tubular mounts but no longer does.

The all-in-one bike is hard to find. The first gen Max is as close as any I have found. Various windshields including Rifle fairings, most universal luggage and several backrest/luggage rack combos are available.

If you find the perfect bike, please let me know...:confused2:

I don't realy like the looks of the 's' but just the ,'n'. They r basically the same thing though, right?

I know a lot of guys use the sv650 (not s) to tour with a small flyscreen...

Hey Garrett, I own an SV1000S so I can compare them side by side.

Mine dyno'd 104HP and 70lbft at the wheel on a VERY humid 90? day. Keep in mind though that that torque came in VERY low which makes it VERY nice to ride on the street and in the twisties. You don't have to ring its neck to make it go go GO!

It's been a great bike. I bought it brand new in 2004. It was a 2003 left over.

Chris

Vance and hanes, $9999 and its on ebay. Good deal, but for that I think id get a brand new 2010 z1000.

I just called Sunrise, they do still have it. It is on their site somewhere. He mentioned it had special Internet pricing. Call 501 268 8826. Ask for a salesman named John.

Ya know that is a concern of mine as well. Not finding a bike that does what the vmax does as well as it does. Id be willing to trade x for y, as long as they are equal (ie handling for touring)...

Lots to consider..

If I can only have one bike, I go for versatility. Since I take long trips, a shaft drive is important. Keeping a chain lubed and adjusted on a 3500 mile trip in one week is a PITA. The B-King is nice but don't see much in the way of touring gear for it. (Tall windshield, luggage, racks, etc). The rear bodywork/seat panels on many bikes gets scuffed by throw-over soft luggage plus you need some sort of bag brackets to keep the bags away from the rear wheel and/or shocks (which are not available on most of the bikes you mentioned). Also, many of the bikes you mentioned have a cafe style fairing which is not great for trips either and do not have large replacement screens available. The Honda 919 might have touring accessories (Givi, etc) but it is a boring and unattractive bike. I came back to the Max for most of the reasons mentioned as everything is available, even FatMax hard luggage. I do wish Givi mounts were still available though. A guy in England sells brackets to mount Givi Wingmounts but they place the bags to high and wide. Five Star used to make the tighter fitting tubular mounts but no longer does.

The all-in-one bike is hard to find. The first gen Max is as close as any I have found. Various windshields including Rifle fairings, most universal luggage and several backrest/luggage rack combos are available.

If you find the perfect bike, please let me know...:confused2:

kawa zrx1200r
kawa z1000
speed triple
sv1000n
honda 919
bking

I had a zrx1200r! Plenty of power, but not very comfortable. You still lean over the handle bars a bit, and would make my hands go numb. Not many options for a windshield, or other accessories for that matter. My gf and I both like the vmax much better, so I sold the zrx! Wish I would have bought the max alot sooner!

Back