those that have ridden one....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know much about em but I think they look cool. I've read good reviews too. That color scheme is not for me though. I like the looks of this one

I like the silver or dark grey, but there are SOOO many super active BMW forums that I'm sure you could sell the cup replica and buy a different one. Then again that scheme might be very popular with bimmerphiles.

Thats a great price though. If yo look at craiglook.com you can see them all over the country and for the mileage it's the best price by far. Check ebay and cycle trader too. Last year I almost bought a brand new leftover 2007 at the dealership for $8500.

oh wow. thats a great deal too. i'll keep my eyes open. have it included in my craigslist app on my phone now too.

how do the following bikes compare to a vmax, or to each other:

kawa zrx1200r
kawa z1000
speed triple
sv1000n
honda 919
bking

say, hypothetically, i was going to sell the 'max. as far as the characteristics if i were to replace the vmax, i would need:

power, torque, and ability to tour. i do some 1000 mile plus weekends and the max did pretty well for them. i am aboug 5'10, 220 lbs.

I owned a 955cc 2000 speed triple earlier this year. I would rate the s3 on par with everything but torque. i think some higher bars would help the touring, but its a bit 'out there' in the wind. I know jayhawk had a bking so i'd love to hear his response, and i know a couple guys have some zrx's. styling on all of these meet my requirements! also would hear other thoughts on similar rides.

You and I are the same height and weight. Barring some sort of genetic hiccup, we should have similar length arms and legs (31 inseam)

I've owned a Z1000 (2007) and if you're looking for torque, look elsewhere. I know it's supposed to be a punched out ZX9 motor and may come close in torque...but kinda fall on it's face for upper HP. However, it handled awesomely. It's tiny. It's got awesome brakes and it's suspended very well for someone our size. Touring on it...not so much. Romping around on backroads...perfect.

I've put several 100 miles on a 919. Great bike but boring. It's even boring for a honda...which is saying it's super boring. The motor is very linear and to me feels a lot roomier than the Z1000. Touring bike.....I'd say maybe...much better than the Z1000. It also felt faster than the Z1000.

I've ridden both the 955 triple and the 1050 triple (I also owned an ST1050 ABS) I know they publish great HP numbers on those bikes but they feel less than advertised. My ST was supposed to be around 125-130hp. If felt marginally quicker than my VFR800 (non Vtec) which was 100hp.

The Bking, aside from all of it's obvious comments regarding looks is freaking awesome. I've seen black ones with aftermarket exhaust systems that looked great. Power everywhere. Faster than a naked bike should be. Wind blast at high speeds was a drawback..but only because it got to high speeds so quickly. The tank is a mile wide and not that big.
With the amount of power it had, I was really surprised it didn't wheelie as bad as I thought it would. 1st gear.....honk on it, and it stays pretty planted. You can wheelie it....but it does a very good job of quelling it if you're just trying to take off.

I've owned 2 first generation Bandit 1200s. I've toured on both. You can get them for a song and for not much money have a 130hp/80ftlbs bike that's dead nuts reliable. Easy to maintain too with screw type valve adjusters. The torque on those things is from 2000 RPMS up. grab a handful and it's GONE.

There's a ton of GSXR stuff that swaps over if you are so inclined and they are easy to get parts for.

285117946_4face659a5_z.jpg

285714320_83ac5d7d5d_o.jpg

The burgandy one dynoed 131hp and 81ftlbs. All I had was a tapered headers from Holeshot, holeshot slip on, holeshot jet kit (stage III) and GSXR1100 camshafts.

The blue was a stage 1. Pulled 117hp and 79 ftlbs. Jet kit and slip on only.

You and I are the same height and weight. Barring some sort of genetic hiccup, we should have similar length arms and legs (31 inseam)

I've owned a Z1000 (2007) and if you're looking for torque, look elsewhere. I know it's supposed to be a punched out ZX9 motor and may come close in torque...but kinda fall on it's face for upper HP. However, it handled awesomely. It's tiny. It's got awesome brakes and it's suspended very well for someone our size. Touring on it...not so much. Romping around on backroads...perfect.

I've put several 100 miles on a 919. Great bike but boring. It's even boring for a honda...which is saying it's super boring. The motor is very linear and to me feels a lot roomier than the Z1000. Touring bike.....I'd say maybe...much better than the Z1000. It also felt faster than the Z1000.

I've ridden both the 955 triple and the 1050 triple (I also owned an ST1050 ABS) I know they publish great HP numbers on those bikes but they feel less than advertised. My ST was supposed to be around 125-130hp. If felt marginally quicker than my VFR800 (non Vtec) which was 100hp.

The Bking, aside from all of it's obvious comments regarding looks is freaking awesome. I've seen black ones with aftermarket exhaust systems that looked great. Power everywhere. Faster than a naked bike should be. Wind blast at high speeds was a drawback..but only because it got to high speeds so quickly. The tank is a mile wide and not that big.
With the amount of power it had, I was really surprised it didn't wheelie as bad as I thought it would. 1st gear.....honk on it, and it stays pretty planted. You can wheelie it....but it does a very good job of quelling it if you're just trying to take off.

I've owned 2 first generation Bandit 1200s. I've toured on both. You can get them for a song and for not much money have a 130hp/80ftlbs bike that's dead nuts reliable. Easy to maintain too with screw type valve adjusters. The torque on those things is from 2000 RPMS up. grab a handful and it's GONE.

There's a ton of GSXR stuff that swaps over if you are so inclined and they are easy to get parts for.

285117946_4face659a5_z.jpg

285714320_83ac5d7d5d_o.jpg

The burgandy one dynoed 131hp and 81ftlbs. All I had was a tapered headers from Holeshot, holeshot slip on, holeshot jet kit (stage III) and GSXR1100 camshafts.

The blue was a stage 1. Pulled 117hp and 79 ftlbs. Jet kit and slip on only.

great write up man. i have a smaller inseam at probably 29/30 inches and shorter arms too but not too bad. i appreciate the info. i've heard that compaint about the z1000 was fixed with the 2010s. which may be out of my price range anyways, but i sat on one and man did the ergos feel good.

lots of good info there, i hate the way the 1200 bandit/fz1 front fairing looks so theres some hope there with the 'triumph-esque' bugeye.

nah just opposed of the looks really. which is stupid b/c they make better touring bikes.

I'm with you. Some of the ugliest bikes I've owned made the best touring bikes.

I loved touring on my Hayabusa....and could probably ride all the way to Alaska on the ZZR1200 I had. Both of those bikes were UGLY, though the bus' had some endearing qualities.

I know this is not your preference but I'm going the two bike method; keeping the Vmax for my hooligan exploits and a FJR for some long trips I want to undertake. I also want a adventure type bike but that will be down the road a bit.

yea. i think the 'looks' is the 26 yr old me, wanting something that still looks as b-a as the vmax, but also then my shoulders from playing rugby the past 8 yrs.

I know this is not your preference but I'm going the two bike method; keeping the Vmax for my hooligan exploits and a FJR for some long trips I want to undertake. I also want a adventure type bike but that will be down the road a bit.

Strange how people view things differently...I have an RC51 for my hooligan bike and I picked up my second Max so I could go out cruising with the wife ( obviously the 51 wasn't made for 2-up enjoyment )......:confused2:

Whatever works...

nah haven't ridden the bimer yet, been busy, and i thought the vmax was a hooligan bike until i rode the s3.

I have an '04 ZRX, and I have to say it's a better bike than the V-max for the most part. (don't hate me)

It has plenty of HP and TQ. Mine dyno'd at 121 and 81 with a full pipe and jet kit. It's lighter than the Max by quite a bit, and handles lots better, although it's no sport bike.

The drawback for touring are chain drive, and lack of wind protection. The stock seat is bad for many people. I have a Sargent on mine. Corbin also makes a seat, but it's huge and heavy.

You can find hard bags that are ugly, or just use some soft bags.

The best thing, is that they are quite a bargain. Mine was 6800.00 new, and they can be had used now for 3500.00 and up, in decent shape, and with low miles.

PM me if you have any more specific questions.

i appreciate the info. how is it for touring with the sargent??

I was at the stealer on Friday buying some premix for the CR5. I see a b-king on a little stand on the showroom floor with a SOLD sticker on it. It was used but had very low mileage. Sticker price was 12.5K !!!!!!

i appreciate the info. how is it for touring with the sargent??

I love the Sargent. I have the solo seat (has a slimmer passenger section)

Seats are subjective though. you might hate it. I've done some 500 mile days on it, and it's good.

Back