Thought for sure I snapped a block bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I was putting my exhaust back on and I was tightening the last exhaust header and I was using a long extension because it was hard to reach. I was getting close to tight and I hear s snap and then the nut was kinda loose again.

I took both nuts off and looked at both block bolts and the flange and couldn't see anything wrong. I tightened the bolts on again this time with a short extension and they tightened up just fine and everything is secure.

I sure hope the allen head was not in straight and it slipped out and when it hit something that is what sounded like the snapped bolt. Still doesn't explain why the nut was loose again... I have checked them 4 times now and they are tight and the header is solid.

something tells me I was either very lucky or trouble is ahead. :ummm:

Ron

how many more turns did the nut go? hopefully what you said or maybe it was getting caught on the lip where the threads end? or maybe it was the mod monkey trying to sabotage you into getting a new something?

Probably the header flange wasn't full seated before you started wrenching it down. Then it popped into place and you finished tightening them up.

Sean

I was putting my exhaust back on and I was tightening the last exhaust header and I was using a long extension because it was hard to reach. I was getting close to tight and I hear s snap and then the nut was kinda loose again.

I took both nuts off and looked at both block bolts and the flange and couldn't see anything wrong. I tightened the bolts on again this time with a short extension and they tightened up just fine and everything is secure.

I sure hope the allen head was not in straight and it slipped out and when it hit something that is what sounded like the snapped bolt. Still doesn't explain why the nut was loose again... I have checked them 4 times now and they are tight and the header is solid.

something tells me I was either very lucky or trouble is ahead. :ummm:

Ron

great way to make your heart skip a beat ey???

Probably the header flange wasn't full seated before you started wrenching it down. Then it popped into place and you finished tightening them up.

Sean

That is what I think happened as well Sean, That would explain why the nut seem to get loose again. You know me and how anal I am, I checked it at least 4 times last night, couldn't sleep it bothered me so much and then I thought that if the flange was caught it would seem to be tighening and then if it got unstuck that would have given me the symptoms I got.

I hope like hell it was that........lol

What kind of anti seize you guys use on exhaust bolts?

Iv read Phillips Milk Of Magnesia on the Combustor Plugs on Jet Engines and they never seize up. :confused2:

I use copper anti-seize, but the milk of magnesia sounds like a great idea as well....I would think that jet engines get HOT and if it works for them, its gotta work on a bike exhaust.

i would bet it would be the flange as well. first thing i thought of when reading this

i use loc-tite on those nuts b/c one fell off on me. just blue tho, not red.

Ummmmmm Garrett you do realize that heat breaks down Loctite right? Just a thought:biglaugh:

yes i do. but it was all i had at the moment. lock washers may be a better bet down the road...

i didn't really need it to hold just keep it from rattling loose. it maybe gummed up now which is enough to stop the threads from backing out ya know? I didn't want them in there with a lot of strength just something that would dampen the vibrations.

Latest posts

Back