Thoughts on Corbin seseat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaztheClash

Reaction score
I want a Corbin seat for the 1,000+ mile Deal's Gap road burn I'm embarking on next month, but I have a few reservations. The main one is regarding the tool kit. As far as I can tell, you need tools to access the tool bag under the seat since you can no longer flip up the passenger seat. Am I missing something or is that a stupid design? Keeping the tools you need to remove the seat....under the seat? Any guys who ride with a Corbin saddle on their 'Max who can tell me if they are as oxymoronic as they seem? I guess my only other question about the Corbin seat is the clearance for filling up. More or less space? Because there ain't a whole lot to begin with.

Its my understanding that with ANY seat, Corbin, stock..etc...you dont need the 4 bolts that hold the seat on....you can hold the seat to the bike with the fuel levers on each side of the bike.

Don't even have the levers on mine...just pull it off when I fill up. Takes 2 seconds (PS i don't have the fuel access flap on the seat..took it out)

So Corbin seats can be released by the fuel levers the same as the stock seat?

NO , they are sposed to bolt on but their such a PITA to put fuel in that most guys just don't bolt them. They are hard and wide but some guys like them.Some guys like the Maxgasser too.

I have an original Corbin on the '86. It's definitely super-comfy on long runs, even if I feel I sit more 'on' the bike than 'in' the bike.

I don't bolt it down either. Just lift it off to refuel. It's not going anywhere while you're sitting on it, and mine hasn't even got the tongue to hold it at the front (it broke off).

My old man has a gen 2 'Max that I've had the opportunity to ride a handful of times, and the way the seat feels is exactly like you described the Corbin seat as feeling; on, not in. Sounds like I need to find someone with a Corbin seat and see if it's for me afterall.

When I did ride with a Corbin (Maxgasser man now) I set my tool kit right on top of the fuel cap area. If you are utilizing a self assembled tool kit, you will have to check for fit. The Corbin is flat and broad which spreads out your weight over a larger area. Very important for a plus size rider. The passenger area is better than stock too. The foam is a much firmer durometer (density) and does not lose its cush over extended saddle time. If you are a shorter rider, the Corbin sure isn't gonna help you get your feet on the ground. New, they are pretty expensive, have a somewhat extended break in period and not customizable. Maxgassers have conquered all that with easy fuel access, better foam, uses factory latches, you sit in the seat, not atop the seat and it is customizable upon ordering. For the same or less as a Corbin, I don't see why one would go for anything but a MG but a test ride comparo is the only way to go. The ass never lies!

I have an original Corbin on the '86. It's definitely super-comfy on long runs, even if I feel I sit more 'on' the bike than 'in' the bike.

I don't bolt it down either. Just lift it off to refuel. It's not going anywhere while you're sitting on it, and mine hasn't even got the tongue to hold it at the front (it broke off).

I have an extra here at the house. I'll ask if she plans to keep on using it . I would pay the shipping too.

My old man has a gen 2 'Max that I've had the opportunity to ride a handful of times, and the way the seat feels is exactly like you described the Corbin seat as feeling; on, not in. Sounds like I need to find someone with a Corbin seat and see if it's for me afterall.

I sit IN my Gen II now, after a removing some extra foam that yamaha left in there, I'll be at thunder if your there and want to sit on a shaved Gen II seat.

If you do get the Corbin, I strongly recommend getting the second gen version with the plug instead of the flap. I have had both and the new version is MUCH easier to fuel up.

I might just have to take you up on that offer. I didn't care for the riding position on the stock seat. The gen 2 is a MASSIVELY impressive machine but it just doesn't russle my jimmies just yet. Maybe because my subconscious knows it's way too expensive for me..

I did end up getting a used Corbin seat on Ebay and it has the plug instead of flap. I think I'll just emulate the guys that say they don't bother bolting the seat on and pop it off to refuel.

I'm thinking of selling this custom corbin:ummm:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 30
I did end up getting a used Corbin seat on Ebay and it has the plug instead of flap. I think I'll just emulate the guys that say they don't bother bolting the seat on and pop it off to refuel.

With the plug, don't need to pop off the seat to gas up. I was always afraid someone would steal the seat so I always bolt it down.

Only another vmax guy would even think about it. Even then they aren't enough of a favorite for most to even think about.

The Corbin seat is much firmer than I expected, but it's ass-shaped so it does feel better than the stock seat for the short blast around the nneighborhood that I took it on. Time will tell whether it was worth the money or not.

Back