Thoughts on this VMAX, is it a good deal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfox121

Reaction score
I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now. Think I may have finally found one in my price range. It's an 89 with 14k miles. Looks to have a few cosmetic mods. He's asking $3,000. Price seems high to me, but it is Los Angeles, and everything seems to cost more here.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/3785110887.html

What are your thoughts on this bike? What would be a good price? Any other similarly priced bikes in Southern California you could recommend?

Well the bike LOOKs clean. The minor mods done to it add no value to me. and of course it is "OBO". I would go look at it, check it out for any 2nd gear problems, and if you like it offer $2500. If there is nothing wrong when you ride it, it would be a great buy at $2500. I don't think anyone put "OBO" on a bike expectes to get full tag price so It's up to you to tell him what a great bike it is and how nice the mods he made look but you are stretching what you can pay for it at $2500.

Craig

Looks pretty clean apart from those forward controls. WTF is that all about ? It's a "Race Horse not a Cart Horse". I'd have a word about that but considering it's in CA I suppose the stinkfoot hippies have had an influence.

Chris.

Spell-check isn't his friend is it.

I'd go see it and see how it shifts, runs, handles. Ask if there is any 2nd gear issues. Like Craig said, it does look pretty clean. But that doesn't go far if you have to fix a trans problem.
+1 on the $2500, I wouldn't go over that. I'd open with the OBO at $1800 and remind him that its a 24-year-old bike, If he doesn't bite, then cash flash him at $2200.

If the forward controls aren't your thing, I'm sure you'll be able to unload them pretty quick. He may still have the stock controls as well.

Yeah, the fwd controls are pretty lame. Make sure to mention that and ask if he has the stock ones. If not, use that to lever the price down more.

Assuming it runs good, doesn't have a blown out 2nd gear, the oil isn't a dribble of sludge, I'd pay $2500 tops, and would really feel more comfortable around $2k. I'd initially hit him at like $1500. Make sure to use all the negotiating tricks. Hee-haw over the rattle canned side covers, forward controls, and any other defects you can find. Don't ever negotiate against yourself, as in increase your offer twice without him coming down in between. Keep a good poker face, don't get excited or talkative over features or that "it's in good condition for it's age". Another tip I've had success with is if they're really being stubborn about coming down, say you need to talk to someone. If you have a buddy with you, go back to the truck and chat about something for a minute or so, if you're by yourself fake a phone call for a bit out of earshot. Come back and slightly increase your offer.

+1 on the suggestions made on negoiations. If you are 6 ft. tall or more , you might like those forward controls. :rofl_200:

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 227.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 227.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 32
+1 on the suggestions made on negoiations. If you are 6 ft. tall or more , you might like those forward controls. :rofl_200:

At 6'2", Forward Pegs or Controls are a necessity.. Stock Pegs location Sucks Big Time....

Thanks for all the replies and good info guys. I'm scheduled to check it out today around 4:00 pm (PST). I think if I can get it for $2,500 and, assuming there's no issues with second gear, I'll jump on it. If not it's back to lurker status and waiting for another one to pop up out here.

Spell-check isn't his friend is it.

I'd go see it and see how it shifts, runs, handles. Ask if there is any 2nd gear issues. Like Craig said, it does look pretty clean. But that doesn't go far if you have to fix a trans problem.
+1 on the $2500, I wouldn't go over that. I'd open with the OBO at $1800 and remind him that its a 24-year-old bike, If he doesn't bite, then cash flash him at $2200.

If the forward controls aren't your thing, I'm sure you'll be able to unload them pretty quick. He may still have the stock controls as well.

Don't be-afraid to beat him-up on the price. Some people get really pissed on the cash-flash thing, but that's just them. If he wants it gone, as-opposed to "I'm selling a classic bike here," the cash-money thing is a powerful motivator.

I looked at a partially-disassembled Venture the guy wanted $500 for. I pointed-out that maybe he shouldn't have left the carbs off and pushed it outside so the intake tracts couldn't fill w/rainwater. It was complete as-far as being 'all-there,' but I figured the engine was probably ruined, and that it was only good for things as parts, like the charging system, the carb diaphragms, the rear differential, maybe the engine side covers, & etc. I offered him $200 and he turned it down. He's still sitting on it, and it sure hasn't gotten any better. He told me, "it runs, but it keeps shutting-off." Yeah, a crankcase and intake filled with water tends to have that effect, or worse (of-course). :rofl_200: It looks like it hasn't run since W was in the White House, if-then.

I bought my 90 max off ebay in 07, for $3200... I was kinda pissed I know I drove up the bidding. It was at $2400 when I found it. I waited until like 5 seconds left to seal the deal. Best part was it was only 60 miles from my house....

Ebay can be really easy to get carried away with, the whole idea of an auction is to get buyers "carried away", caught up in the desire to win.

You really have to set a "top dollar" with yourself and stick to it. For really rare or collectible bikes, finding a good example might be few and far between, but the Vmax is neither of those. They were made for 22 years and there's tons of them out there. If the price isn't right on this one, don't be afraid to walk away and keep looking, you'll find more.

Bought it for $2600. Rode it home. Everything seems to be good. Needs a fluid change and tune up. Might be running a little lean as well. There was some popping on deceleration and it seemed to run hot, but that may just me getting used to it. If anyone knows a good reasonably priced shop in Southern California let me know.

what bugs me is when some makes an offer and tries to tell me "cash money". That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever hear. I'm not going to take and give you a loan on it. I'm not going to take a credit card (and even if I did it's still cash money to me). How the hell else do you think you're going to pay me? Give me some time with your old lady? Do some side work?

It pisses me off even more when a guy calls on the phone and wants to know how much less you will take. You haven't even looked at it and you are trying to beat me down on price!

But then I get crazy when I'm selling a bike. Too many people come over and start telling me whats wrong with the choices I made on the bike. I will pass up a sale to someone that pisses me off even if I have to sell it for less to someone I "like".

Glad you got the bike! Now you just have to post pics!!!!

I get super pissed at the "make me an offer" type of person... Last guy that said that to me I said, fine I'll give ya a dollar... Now how much do you want for the damned thing??? Glad you got him down on price, as long as your happy then it was a good deal :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Bought it for $2600. Rode it home. Everything seems to be good. Needs a fluid change and tune up. Might be running a little lean as well. There was some popping on deceleration and it seemed to run hot, but that may just me getting used to it. If anyone knows a good reasonably priced shop in Southern California let me know.

Good for you! If you don't already have a shop, I've been taking my vmax to Atlantis Motors on Sunset and they fixed my popping-on-decel issue quite nicely.

How do you like the forward controls?

Took the bike to Moto Technica in East LA. It was a few miles from my house and their prices seemed reasonable.

They gave it a tune-up, fluid change, and a once-over. Bike is running noticeably better and neutral is slightly easier to find. One thing they mentioned is that I will need a valve job soon. At only 14K, I'm somewhat suspicious. Is that normal for these bikes? I remember my Honda recommended checking every 16k, but it never seemed to be out of spec until 2-3 times that many miles. Also, he quoted me $350 for the job is that reasonable?

Regarding the forward controls, I'm not a big fan. I'm too used to riding with my legs under me rather than in front. If any one has any guidance on how to return to stock, it would be greatly appreciated.

Working on getting pictures up. I'm pretty happy with the purchase (minus the insurance rates). The bike is a blast.

I'm kind of wondering just exactly how that dealer worked out that 'it needs a valve job'. You can't tell that unless you remove the valve covers and check the clearances, which they most definitely would not have done.
Also the $350 on a valve job is way out of whack - go to my valve job photo thread and you'll see why...
I would keep clear of that dealer myself!

Going back to standard foot control should be easy, just ask here either Captain Kyle or Sean Morley will be able to sort you out with the parts you need, and then selling your forward controls should easily pay for it all and leave you with some change!

Latest posts

Back