Tip over in the Driveway :(

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redbone;233752 I used a little trick to make sure RB didn't tip over. I filed a bit off the sidestand stop so that the sidestand pivots further forward in it's down position. [/I said:
Great idea, Brian! Think I'll do the same. Even if the bike is in first gear, I've noticed that it still will move ahead a bit on the sidestand, until the drivetrain slack is taken up. If the bike is left on a slight downgrade, this could lead to a tip. A more forward position will lessen this possibility, for sure.
Thanks!

all this talk too, made me think. Do you guys actually leave your bike in N at all times? I never have, ever. always roll it with the grain of the surface i'm on (so if i'm facing uphill i'll roll it as far back in first until it grabs then let it be. that way the gravity would have to overcome the friction of the clutch.

i actually turn my bike off by putting my kickstand down, 9times out of 10. makes sure you never forget... just an idea. i know quite a few people have gotten bit by the N bug. heh.

Best idea that Harley ever had was their kickstands. They pivot and "lock" in the down position.

Best idea that Harley ever had was their kickstands. They pivot and "lock" in the down position.

Probably a good thing. Can you imagine the cost of the "Genuine Harley Davidson Parts" needed to fix tip-over damage?
However - who(m?) on this forum is familiar with H-D's 'locking" sidestand arrangement? :ummm: Care to share the details?
COULD this be the beginning of a modification thread for our beloved ....but tipsy.... VMax??!

all this talk too, made me think. Do you guys actually leave your bike in N at all times? I never have, ever. always roll it with the grain of the surface i'm on (so if i'm facing uphill i'll roll it as far back in first until it grabs then let it be. that way the gravity would have to overcome the friction of the clutch..

i always park in first. 1) bike off, 2) push the bike forward to take up the "slack" that miles was talking about, 3) grab a handful of brake, 3) lean the bike on the kick stand, and finally 4) release brake. being in florida every "parking" spot is flat, so i hardly worry about the bike rolling off the stand due to the "slack".

after hearing about someone finding there bike on its side one morning, it became my greatest fear that i should discover the same. so i thought about what could have been the cause. i noticed that when i parked the bike in first, and rolled the bike backward to take up the "slack" that if the bike somehow was rolled forward there is enough "slack" that would allow it to roll off the kickstand. so now i use the aforementioned routine, each and everytime i'm done.

COULD this be the beginning of a modification thread for our beloved ....but tipsy.... VMax??!
if it is, my monkey is all ears

Chief sorry to hear about the "tip over"! Really sucks! I've been riding HDs for 25 years and the one thing I've really liked is their "jiffy stand" design which I think is a patented side stand that will not allow the bike to roll forward and off the side stand when weight is on it. I've actually tried it on my Harleys and it works. Maybe it could be adapted to our V Maxes.Don't know but an idea.
Mike

After reading all your posts I'm thinking "Kickstand Mod" is in order now too :biglaugh:

As Always Thanks for the advice, insight, and humor.

On the road to recovery! Got my SAMCO hose kit in last night, everything was simple except for that one little line that runs from the coolant manifold between the two front carbs and down.....DAMN! I got it on without tearing anything out or doing any damage so I called it a night after that.

Got the notices and most of my parts are on the way so that's great.

Been using the down time breaking out the Simple Green and using some old toothbrushes and detailers swabs to scrub away the grime in the little nooks and crannies. Lotts of hard to reach places on these motors; I like a challenge :)

I'm also taking the time to inspect and ensure everything I can get to is tight (My torque wrenches are getting a workout).

Today I will clean and servicie all of the electrical connectors with elecronic cleaner and follow it up with applying dielectric grease to all the pins in all the connectors.

The wife walked into the garage last night and saw me laying there on the floor scrubbing away with a droplight, a spray bottle & tooth brush in hand and said "Really". I told her not to worry, some Vets have PTSD, I have Post Military Career OCD.

Probably a good thing. Can you imagine the cost of the "Genuine Harley Davidson Parts" needed to fix tip-over damage?
However - who(m?) on this forum is familiar with H-D's 'locking" sidestand arrangement? :ummm: Care to share the details?
LOL, I'm sure Harley has it patented, so it couldn't be offered for sale...but I think a person could copy it for their own personal use. The way it works is that it requires the bike to be stood upright before the kickstand can be folded. I have never taken a close enough look at one to be able to describe the mechanical details. Perhaps Captainkyle or someone else could chime in on this?
EDIT: I know this might not make sense, but I think it uses a "T" shaped cage that the top of the stand pivots through, with a mounting bolt and spring down low. This allows the "lock" when down. I wish I could draw it and post, but my computer skills are lacking!

Originally Posted by Chief Gunner: The wife walked into the garage last night and saw me laying there on the floor scrubbing away with a droplight, a spray bottle & tooth brush in hand and said "Really". I told her not to worry, some Vets have PTSD, I have Post Military Career OCD.

Guess I must have a lifetime of Both....:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

LOL, I'm sure Harley has it patented, so it couldn't be offered for sale...but I think a person could copy it for their own personal use. The way it works is that it requires the bike to be stood upright before the kickstand can be folded. I have never taken a close enough look at one to be able to describe the mechanical details. Perhaps Captainkyle or someone else could chime in on this?
EDIT: I know this might not make sense, but I think it uses a "T" shaped cage that the top of the stand pivots through, with a mounting bolt and spring down low. This allows the "lock" when down. I wish I could draw it and post, but my computer skills are lacking!

How about a spring-loaded rod, that is fastened to the inside of the stand, and runs the length of it?
The spring keeps the rod end slightly protruding from the foot of the stand - maybe only 1/2" or less. The stand is free to pivot over it's full range , when the rider is sitting on the bike.
to use, fold out the stand, lean to the ground. The extended end of the rod hits the pavement, compresses upward, the upper end goes into a matching recess. Locked in place!
I'll take a closer look at the stand in the spring. Up to my ears in house renovations at present.
Cheers!

How about a spring-loaded rod, that is fastened to the inside of the stand, and runs the length of it?
The spring keeps the rod end slightly protruding from the foot of the stand - maybe only 1/2" or less. The stand is free to pivot over it's full range , when the rider is sitting on the bike.
to use, fold out the stand, lean to the ground. The extended end of the rod hits the pavement, compresses upward, the upper end goes into a matching recess. Locked in place!
I'll take a closer look at the stand in the spring. Up to my ears in house renovations at present.
Cheers!
Yall got it pretty close. I will try & take a picture of one later if I get the chance. I have one here the guy dont want to seem to pick up for some reason.

so i googled "jiffy stand" just to understand the why "jiffy", and came across this:
I'M SORRY, I DON'T CARE WHAT Y'ALL NAY-SAYERS SAY, NOW THIS IS WICKED COOL
http://ladyhump.blogspot.com/2011/05/slingin-da-bling.html

Eagle+Talon+Claw+Kickstand.JPG

"THIS IS WICKED COOL"

Until you perforate your calf or ankle!
Put it on for shows and never use it otherwise.

Back